009 minimium radius curves

ozthedog

I am designing  a narrow gauge / standard gauge interchange layout using XTrkCAD software.   I have designed and built 4mm only scale layouts but I am a newbie to 2mm.  The layout will have a 4mm standard gauge line and a 009 narrow gauge delivering hopper wagons from a mine.

Could anyone advise me what would be a sensible minimum radius be to use for 009 / 2mm track?

Thanks

Keith

Smallest I use is 9” or 230mm but that is for a full H0e layout rather than an element depicting a specific aspect - if it is just mine carts and 4 wheel locos you could go tighter-but don’t go much tighter

Edited by WIMorrison

The Baldwin is quite a big loco, and I have a dim recollection that it has a minimum curve radius of 2 chains in reality, which scales out fairly close to Peco ‘main line’ 009 points. The model will almost certainly squeeze down to Peco’s tightest points, but would look a bit out place doing so.

Mine tub type operations usually only ran short distances (tubs tended to have tiny wheels, and often not very clever bearings), and had smaller locos, the Minitrains Bagnall 0-4-0IST would be a good one, and would look much more at home on squeaky curves.

The Snailbeach was a ‘mine to interchange’ line that used Baldwin 4-6-0, but it didn’t drag little tiny tubs the whole way; the loads went in much larger hopper wagons.