justin1985

Höllentalbahn in Z

Had to believe quite how spot on you've got the weathering on that van, good show. Is the overall layout footprint going to remain the same now you have these separate return loops, or will it be extended to 170cm  * X ?

Now I've built the return curves as separate boards I've been working on a new track plan to fit between them. I'm sticking to the 1200x500mm size of a slab of pink insulation foam as a convenient total size, not least because it is also the length of the short edge of a sheet of ply - and I have a stock of suitable strips of 6mm ply leftover from another aborted project.

I felt like this would give me plenty of space to model a small station and viaduct scene in Z, but once its all laid out, I'm still quite short of space! Here is a draft plan drawn up in Templot with a gentle S curse over most of the length to give it a bit more of an organic look. The turnouts are all B6 size, which I'll build using code 40 rail and PCB sleepers as per the samples further up this thread.

hollental_20200119.png.6f93923db3e1b9868d27c0fd57e3a01a.png

Posing a few buildings and bits of stock on the plan gives a sense of how it will look. 

IMG_20200119_110857.jpg.0cc0dc850c7e3b64576a936e02189089.jpg

IMG_20200119_110907.jpg.4947f301500c5f914aa3833377190f65.jpg

A very random selection of stock (what I happened to have unboxed) but it makes the capacity of the loop and sidings clear: the platform loop only just accommodates a loco and two coaches; the goods shed siding holds two 2-axle wagons, and the headshunt / dock holds one wagon.

This all feels a bit tight! I'm torn between ideally wanting a longer station loop and sidings, and the feeling that it would take away from the scenic side of the layout. While I like the idea of doing a little bit of tokenistic shunting, really I want the layout to be about watching trains go by, through some nice scenery.

Perhaps that still points towards finding a way of making a longer passing loop though, to create a regular operating pattern of letting meaningful length trains pass. Swapping the loop turnout to the current location of the goods siding turnout would give that extra length, but would mean the goods siding would probably have to cross the station entrance in order to be workable! (but not without precedent in small German stations? e.g. @2mmMark 's post with photos and a plan of Emmelshausen in 1990).

I'd be pleased to hear any thoughts on this!

Final photo: the two "train set" wagons I've weathered and fitted with Microtrains couplings posed on the Faller viaduct - the open wagon now with a load courtesy of a random bush in my front garden!

IMG_20200118_163332.jpg.c34f5a17d496b7f4e20e9f8ee8f08b26.jpg

Justin

Edited by justin1985
typos
  • Like 4

My advice would be to reduce the baseboard length a bit to 1000mm or maybe 1100mm.  I've found that 1200mm or 4ft is a little bit unwieldy when trying to load it into a car.  It's just that little bit too long to go widthways across the boot or rear seat. 

The weathered wagons look really good, Justin. 

Do you know about Trainini magazine? There's some excellent Z scale modelling featured in it and they've been doing an English translation for the past couple of years
https://www.trainini.de

My limited experience of German railways is that they are not too worried about mixing road and rail, unlike the UK where Network Rail are seemingly determined to close every level crossing as soon as possible. 

Mark

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

My advice would be to reduce the baseboard length a bit to 1000mm or maybe 1100mm.  I've found that 1200mm or 4ft is a little bit unwieldy when trying to load it into a car.  It's just that little bit too long to go widthways across the boot or rear seat. 

The weathered wagons look really good, Justin. 

Do you know about Trainini magazine? There's some excellent Z scale modelling featured in it and they've been doing an English translation for the past couple of years
https://www.trainini.de

Thanks Mark! I was aware of Trainini, but hadn't noticed the translations - another rabbit hole opens up!

Point taken on board length - but then this layout isn't really intended to be an exhibition layout at all. Just portable in terms of being able to get it out onto a table, and put away onto shelving. I wouldn't rule out taking it out once or twice, but I feel kind of loathed to compromise how it looks at home to make it easier to exhibit, if that makes sense? I'm planning to fully box it in, cameo style, so it should be robust enough to survive being loaded in a car at a funny angle / through folded down seats, etc, if it had to be.

After discussion in the "German Railways" forum here I think I've decided on swapping the turnouts to make the main loop longer, and turning the goods siding info another loop passing the front of the station, using A5 turnouts. I'll try and post an updated track plan tonight.

J

• Like 1

I think this is getting close to a final track plan. The goods shed is now served by a loop that crosses the station entrance - which seems pretty typical (The MIBA Nebenbahnen special issue I ordered has arrived - very interesting, even with my very patchy German).

hollental_20200119-goods_loop-wider.png.716178b17aaa1b21a52d0e055e0d1adc.png

The turnouts on the main loop are still B6s, and the goods loop A5s, to try and save a little extra space. Might revisit that though and make them all B6s ... 

In the meantime I've been buying up more Märklin turnouts for the fiddle yard, and fitting more MicroTrains couplings to my Märklin stock. The first loco I've fitted is a V100 bo-bo diesel, which will probably be the main goods / shunting loco for Epoch III / IV trains. The close coupling alone makes it worthwhile, I think!

IMG_20200126_173720.jpg.3fbe664dbc0815f3851aab6e6e56d9a1.jpg

• Like 4

On 27/01/2020 at 17:06, Lacathedrale said:

So passengers cross the goods loop and the running line to get to the platform?

Having a siding crossing between the station building and the main platform doesn't seem uncommon (e.g. http://eisenbahn-mv.de/lageplan/lpl243.pdf  and Mark's post

I think for my model the decision will be practical - a longer siding might give more operating potential, but Z gauge wagons seem so light that the Microtrains couplings struggle to couple up without pushing against a buffer stop (uncoupling works well). I don't fancy the Microtrains suggestion of fitting springs between wheels and their bearings on one axle per wagon to add more friction! 

So that pushes towards a shorter siding ending in front of the station building, rather than passing right across it.

I ordered another of the Faller viaduct kits so I can extend the span a bit more, to have a gentler sloped valley to cross. I'll see how that effects the visuals.