Another mystery van - identification please

Neil

• RMweb Premium

After the success in identifying my previous mystery van I have another (again from Belgium but Charleroi this time) to identify.  The image comes from the LRTA publication Charleroi's trams since 1940 by Skelsey and Hansart, an excellent book about the Vicinal and city trams.

post-6793-0-49875800-1516890494_thumb.jpg

The date is given as April 1973 and the caption informs that the green van was being used by STIC (city trams) workmen engaged in attending to the points.

Thank you

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did Commer export the Q25. Looking at the front axle and the quarter light window could it be one?

Despite the lovely photo of the export model Commer Q25 I'm not sure that it is one. The body of the green van looks considerably more curvaceous than the Commer and looking at the waist level dark stripe both the cab side window and quarter light seem to follow its line as it curves down to the front.

• RMweb Gold

Despite the lovely photo of the export model Commer Q25 I'm not sure that it is one. The body of the green van looks considerably more curvaceous than the Commer and looking at the waist level dark stripe both the cab side window and quarter light seem to follow its line as it curves down to the front.

I was replying to the question whether they'd been exported, not that that pic was intended to be the same type of van body

I tend to agree with Bernard. There were many independent coachworks in France, Belgium and Holland in the postwar period supplying cabs and bodies for a wide range of applications. British vehicles were very commonly seen in the Low Countries and Scandinavia, and commercial vehicles were often imported as chassis/cowl or chassis-only for reasons of economy and to provide work for local body makers. I lean towards a British chassis, but whether Commer, Austin/Morris or Bedford is debatable given the quality of the photo.

• RMweb Gold

I think it looks quite like an Austin / Morris J type cab with a custom body.

Note the curved coachline under the front quarter-light, which matches the panel line on the J type:

post-17302-0-96681300-1517150618_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now why didn't I think of that. I'm pretty sure that's the same van (or at least the same make and model) still wonder what it is though. Might it be as Bernard suggests a custom built body?

• RMweb Premium

33238653180_80a9d5e123_b.jpg

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/charleroi%2Cstic/Timeline

I have googled another photo, maybe the same van?

Evidently not a Peugeot, judging from the shape of the  radiator grill?

It is evidently right hand drive, going by the lack of a steering wheel on the left and the single screen wiper on the right. The style of the wheels suggests that it could have been rebuilt from an ex British army vehicle. The front axle looks very much like a Bedford MW 15cwt.

• RMweb Premium

I think that it is a Bedford MW going by the short wheelbase. The Ford and Morris-Commercial 15cwt trucks had longer wheelbases. Also the Bedford was semi-forward control and the driving poition would be in line with the side doors.

• Like 1