Hornby Select, Just Died or did I kill it?

Paul-H

Hi all

Just wondering as I couldn't find anything in the instructions

I am putting together a small DCC controlled N-Gauge layout for someone and using their old select controller to test as I go along, as they are old and have been using the select for quite a few years and don't need anything it cannot do, so yesterday I was working on the layout testing a loco and found a small dead section that needed a dropper added, so I disconnected the select from the layout and added the dropper, whilst I was working we heard a loud tone and we all thought someone had left their phone on, it only lasted a couple of seconds and we thought no more of it, until I cam to reconnect the Select and found it was dead, I checked the power supply and that is still working.

So did it just die or did I kill it by having it powered without being connected to the layout, couldn't find any warnings in the instructions, are they known for this, I did have a spare so was able to continue but I wanted to use both connected together and now we are back to one.

Had a quick look inside and nothing looked blown, I did expect to find one of the electrolitics blown as it was that sort of noise, but everything looks fine.

I know they are not a very good controller so no great loss that its blown up but are they known for this, its about 8 or 9 years old so well out of warranty.

Paul 

Bizarrely I was about to take it apart to see if I could see anything obvious and when I applied power it all fired up without issue, so assume there is dome sort of thermal fuse inside so looks like Richard was right, no mention of the thermal fuse in the instructions though.

Paul

The Select handles overloads in one of two ways according to the power supply used.

The one amp supply drops voltage in an overload causing the Select to reboot continuously until the short or overload is removed.

When using the four amp supply overload control is within the Select by way of a self resetting fuse and the unit switches off until the load or short is removed and the fuse resets allowing a reboot.

Obviously when using a one amp supply the Select internal protection should never come into play.

If the Select is used in Walkabout mode then overload protection lies with the master controleller, whether an Elite or another Select.

Rob

Rob

Mind you as I was using the 1amp supply and the select was not actually connected to the layout as I had removed the wires, it shouldn't have over loaded.

Now it's back working I might relegate it to be the slave device.

Still trying to talk the owner into buying something better though.

Paul