BRM March '18 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

• Administrators

The Digital Edition goes live this morning (January 26th) and it's absolutely rammed with EXCLUSIVE EXTRA CONTENT and listed below. Click here to download.

The Print Edition goes on-sale on Thursday, February 1st

EXCLUSIVE TO BRM DIGITAL EDITION THIS MONTH...

• 20-min video of Buckingham (EM) - lead layout
  • Extra images of Buckingham
  • Extra images of Dave & Shirley Rowe's modelling
  • Extra images of David Jenkinson's modelling
  • 10-min video of Phil Parker looking back at 60-years of TT
  • 30-min video from the Bachmann Trade Show
  • 35-min video interview with Bachmann's Denis Lovett
  • 10-min video when BRM made a visit to TMC
  • 4 extra trackplans
  • Free copy of the new-look Traction Jan/Feb 18 issue

post-14186-0-69271500-1516960226_thumb.jpg

ON THIS MONTH’S DVD

Don’t miss Part Two of our behind the scenes tour of Pendon

We take a trip to TMC…

…and make a visit to Hatton’s of Liverpool

Here's a 1-minute preview video

INSIDE THIS MONTH’S MAGAZINE

LAYOUTS

Buckingham (EM) – a 70 year-old layout that’s still an example to all modellers.

VINTAGE THEME: Dave & Shirley Rowe – A retrospective look at their incredible work

VINTAGE THEME – an appreciation of David Jenkinson

VINTAGE THEME – Kendal contemporaries

VINTAGE THEME – Borchester – a modelling inspiration

Tucking Mill (2mmFS) – Jerry Clifford’s fictitious West Country layout that’s steeped in history

PRACTICAL

How to…make a lineside embankment

Build an etched brass milk van with Tony Wright

Project layout – adding scenery to Didsbury Green

PRODUCTS

Bachmann 2018/19 announcements

Hornby 2018 announcements

TMC Bolster and Plate wagons

Minerva GWR Iron Mink Van

Brimal Components CP800 Scenic Sound Generator

DCC Cobalt Alpha Mimic Ground Signals

Absolute Aspects Banner Repeater Signals

OTHER STUFF…

Inbox – your letters!

Cakebox Challenge – a look at some recent entries

VINTAGE THEME – Tri-ang and the masters of play value

Prototype Inspiration: Holmes J36 0-6-0

Doncaster Show preview

VINTAGE THEME – Heirloom Enigma

Tail Lamp – Simon George of Heaton Lodge fame

• Like 5

Looking forward to reading this when the print issue comes out. The DVD looks very good too from watching the video above - I think dropping into a pub for a swift half is a great way to round off a visit to Pendon! ;)

Edited by SVRlad

I have a print subscription but for this issue I would like to see all the additional digitalfeatures, would downloading this single issue allow me access to all the additional features or is it necessary to have a full digital subscription?

Edited by GWR8700

I have a print subscription but for this issue I would like to see all the additional digitalfeatures, would downloading this single issue allow me access to all the additional features or is it necessary to have a full digital subscription?

You will get access to all the digital extras with a single issue purchase. Hope you enjoy it.

For me, this issue was one of the most enjoyable to generate content for I've ever had; I had chance to run a couple of trains on Buckingham, spent hours in the company of Dave and Shirley Rowe and had an enjoyable as always trip to Jerry Clifford's to snap Tucking Mill. Phil and I had a load of material to carry over from Pendon in February for the DVD too, I talk about the trains of my yesteryear with Dennis Lovett too - can't grumble about that for a month's work!

• Like 6

You will get access to all the digital extras with a single issue purchase. Hope you enjoy it.

For me, this issue was one of the most enjoyable to generate content for I've ever had; I had chance to run a couple of trains on Buckingham, spent hours in the company of Dave and Shirley Rowe and had an enjoyable as always trip to Jerry Clifford's to snap Tucking Mill. Phil and I had a load of material to carry over from Pendon in February for the DVD too, I talk about the trains of my yesteryear with Dennis Lovett too - can't grumble about that for a month's work!

Really enjoyed the BRM DVD, the best I've seen to date!  I found the digital exclusives really interesting, especially the Buckingham video which I've always wanted to see on film.  I find vintage model railways really interesting, especially because they tend to balance interesting operation with scenery.

Nice one guys!

Really enjoyed the BRM DVD, the best I've seen to date! I found the digital exclusives really interesting, especially the Buckingham video which I've always wanted to see on film. I find vintage model railways really interesting, especially because they tend to balance interesting operation with scenery.

Nice one guys!

Thank you very much, it is nice to get positive feedback. Tony 'one-take' Gee is an absolute natural and gives us a great narrative about Buckingham's history and it's quirks.

• RMweb Gold

Arrived on the doormat today.  Now I haven't looked at the DVD (must attach the disc reader to the 'puter sometime, yes - I know, but I really need some extra USB sockets as well) but the printed version is amazing, absolutely superb bit of editing of content and enough to keep those of us with past memories smiling for many a day.  Congratulations on one of the most attractive and interesting 'general market railway modelling magazine' grouping of contents I have seen in a very long time; bloomin' good pics too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now that the issue has appeared it is a good time for me to say a big thank you to Andy Y.

I have had a most enjoyable couple of days spent sorting out the photos for Buckingham and a follow up article on Leighton Buzzard, plus the video shoot.

I mentioned to Andy that modern digital camera technology should give an opportunity to get some new angles and views on what must be the most photographed and published layout there has been and he managed to do that very nicely indeed.

He managed to make the layout look very good indeed, in both the stills and the video.

• Like 2

Now I haven't looked at the DVD (must attach the disc reader to the 'puter sometime, yes - I know, but I really need some extra USB sockets as well) 

The DVD should play in your BluRay DVD player attached to your TV (assuming that you have one, and that Mrs Stationmaster isn't watching Corrie)

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Gold

And I’ve taken the liberty of crudely amending the ‘multi layer layout’ diagram in page 34 to something a bit more realistic

It looks like some of those guys might have gone on a diet*.

Edit:  * I'm beginning to suspect that Diät might be closer to the truth in some cases ... .

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

Not all trolls are on the 'net. :)

Some people might suggest that most* still seem to be.

(*Presumably, this means the ones that haven't been banned yet. OK - this might be slightly harsh - but, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any 100% effective way of completely eliminating them from any site that allows people to post things, or add their comments.)

• RMweb Gold

The DVD should play in your BluRay DVD player attached to your TV (assuming that you have one, and that Mrs Stationmaster isn't watching Corrie)

Somewhat OT but for information we do have several tv sets, we don't have a BluRay DVD player and I doubt if our tv sets would know what one is anyway.  And Mrs Stationmaster would be mortally offended to the point where your own continuing mortality would be in considerable doubt for suggesting or even hinting that she watches Corrie - 'Only Connect' is more in her line!

PS I have received an alternative solution to the watching of the dvd - and it works (VM thanks to the gentleman who sent it).

Collected my saved copy from my local newsagents this morning.

Enjoyed the content, but the photographs on pages 52-56 look really fuzzy.  Tony Wright's photos deserve better.

Would it be possible to reproduce them properly on here or give us a link to view them please - same as you did for the missing pages from last months edition.

Collected my saved copy from my local newsagents this morning.

Enjoyed the content, but the photographs on pages 52-56 look really fuzzy.  Tony Wright's photos deserve better.

Would it be possible to reproduce them properly on here or give us a link to view them please - same as you did for the missing pages from last months edition.

The problem is with those that the images were extracted from the digital files of an earlier supplement, the original files seem to be in the Bourne Triangle - it is a shame as they are not up to the standard that Tony's original images would be. If they ever surface we will let you know.

By way of compensation here's a couple more Buckingham pics that weren't included in the print mag which show some of the fine work on the layout. I was having a conversation with a friend today saying that I (and he) prefer less conventional shots of layouts than the ones the editors always play safe with. ;)

Buckingham_Feature_1.jpg

Buckingham_Feature_2.jpg

I think the print copy is a bit too dark too (similar comments from friends) I'm afraid.

• Like 15