BRM March '18 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

• RMweb Premium

In the last 25 years, the Internet has happened. People no longer read great blocks of text, they scan for bits of interest, hence the need to break stuff up into smaller chunks. If you can wind the clock back then maybe we'll have long lumps of text again. However, the information density is often higher now. No need to read meandering prose, the facts are distilled down now. 

Likewise, the cover styles from years ago don't perform well on the newsstand of today. You might be surprised to know that we do have a pretty good idea which subject needs to appear on the most important page of a magazine (Hint: A steam engine) for it to sell, and how much selling needs to be carried out by the other headlines on there. If you really want to get into the subject, there's mountains of user testing information for websites, which work in a very similar way. The right combination of keywords can make a huge difference.

I also wonder how different magazines of 25 years ago would be if today's technology was available. I remember writing step-by-step articles that would have been very difficult to illustrate in the same way as we do today. The cameras weren't as easy to use, post-processing was harder and you had to gamble that the shots would come back from the processor at all. Given the same camera Andy has, what would Brian Monaghan have done?

Ultimately, you can't please all the people all the time. Judging by the number of people who comment favourably on the DVD, often claiming it to be their favourite part, you wonder if anyone reads at all now?

I have no doubt that the good folk at BRM know exactly what they are up to and know more about publishing magazines then I ever will. I know which cover I would be more likely to look at and pick up on a magazine stand in a shop but I must be in a minority.

I don't know how or where market research is done but I have been modelling and buying magazines for 40 years or so and nobody asked me. My attention span and ability to read is the same now as it was then. I liked a good read then and I like one now. Hopefully you can find new readers, or should that be new non readers, to replace old duffers like me, who like articles which match my attention span.

Thank goodness for MRJ!

post-1457-0-14614300-1517940435_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Andy 

Is it possible that someone can proof the closed caption subtitles for the DVD. As someone who is partially deaf, I rely on these even though I use headphones when viewing the DVD on a PC. Some of the mistakes are really bad. If they are supplied by YouTube rather than the RMWEB video team, then there must  be a  way to review and correct the YouTubel CC text. They were particularly bad in the Hattons sound installation. 

when we look at how long people have spent, on average, viewing pages in the digital issue they spend as long looking at a picture spread across two pages as they do at a couple of pages full of those word things. 

It may just be me, but I find reading long tracts of text easier in print than on the screen. Not that I can access the digital version, but if I did I suspect that I might also spend more time looking at 'pretty pictures' than reading, but that would not reflect the way I interact with a printed magazine.

I normally purchase in my local newagents if something takes my interest. I am however thinking about trying out the digital version which I see you can buy for 1 month. Question do you lose access to the month you have purchased if you decide not to continue with the subscription?

I normally purchase in my local newagents if something takes my interest. I am however thinking about trying out the digital version which I see you can buy for 1 month. Question do you lose access to the month you have purchased if you decide not to continue with the subscription?

Nope, even if you only buy one issue you will retain access to it - the same applies if you didn't renew a subscription.

• Administrators

I bought a single issue years ago and was always able to see it. When I eventually bought myself a sub, the account then showed the single plus any subsequent issues I'd paid for. 

As Andy says, you can buy one and try it without worrying about losing it if you don't buy another.

I would recomend trying the e-mag on several different devices. On my 7 inch tablet, it looks fine but on my much bigger PC monitor, it's better as you can blow the images up to mahoosive. 

• Administrators

It may just be me, but I find reading long tracts of text easier in print than on the screen. Not that I can access the digital version, but if I did I suspect that I might also spend more time looking at 'pretty pictures' than reading, but that would not reflect the way I interact with a printed magazine.

No, it's not you. Tests show everyone reads slower on screen, it's one reason why people scan the screen rather than reading properly. Full results here if you are interested.

I bought a single issue years ago and was always able to see it. When I eventually bought myself a sub, the account then showed the single plus any subsequent issues I'd paid for. 

As Andy says, you can buy one and try it without worrying about losing it if you don't buy another.

I would recomend trying the e-mag on several different devices. On my 7 inch tablet, it looks fine but on my much bigger PC monitor, it's better as you can blow the images up to mahoosive. 

Curious but the DVD would only play through the Hattons segment on my PC (I prefer the 24 inch screen for DVDs) when played as a Read Only online edition. Pocketmags does not have a player for Windows PC platforms. It appears to revert to a YouTube truncated version. Note that I have an annual subscription through Pocketmags that does not expire until November. 

However I was able to play the full DVD content on my Galaxy S10 notepad accessed through the BRM application. As I and the majority of our Model Railway/Railroad compatriots age larger screens are preferred. Perhaps I need a new TV with built in internet connection through WiFi so I can watch it on a 54 inch LED HD with surround sound. Andy's palate will really shine......

Edited by autocoach

• Administrators

Curious but the DVD would only play through the Hattons segment on my PC (I prefer the 24 inch screen for DVDs) when played as a Read Only online edition. Pocketmags does not have a player for Windows PC platforms. It appears to revert to a YouTube truncated version. Note that I have an annual subscription through Pocketmags that does not expire until November. 

However I was able to play the full DVD content on my Galaxy S10 notepad accessed through the BRM application. As I and the majority of our Model Railway/Railroad compatriots age larger screens are preferred. Perhaps I need a new TV with built in internet connection through WiFi so I can watch it on a 54 inch LED HD with surround sound. Andy's palate will really shine......

I'm looking at the digital edition using Windows 10 on my PC if this helps.

I'm looking at the digital edition using Windows 10 on my PC if this helps.

Phil

Still on Windows 7.1 using Chrome browser. I think somewhere in the Pocketmags app interfacing to windows/browser it looses my paid subscriber status somewhere in the xml and reverts to the "preview" version on YouTube. Not sure if it is big enough issue  with Pocketmags. I don't want to spend my time debugging their xml as it has been several years since I had to do that type of stuff professionally.  Pocketmags support has not been the most helpful in the past. 

• RMweb Premium

Another really superb issue guys.  Congrats to Andy on those brilliant pictures of Buckingham and to the team for the writing and spread.  The late Peter Denny was a genius in my opinion - to think about what he created from the basic materials and tools he had to hand is mind blowing.  The comments Tony Gee has received about the layout looking tired - well, wouldn't you if you were 70!  The layout was, and still is, a brilliant piece of engineering - even the signals worked from 'under the board' connections to his switching system - unbelievable patience and craftmanship.  Peter Denny's 1972 book is well worth a punt if you want to find out about his construction methods.

The article about Dave and Shirley Rowe's work was also brilliant.  I bought a book of Daves about 22 years ago (from a stand on a Station platform at the Severn Valley Railway come to think of it) and have read it cover to cover on many occasion whilst searching for inspiration.  It describes the construction of the Bascule and Telescopic Bridge in detail and also has other work (including some stunning pics of various slate quarry incline models).  Apart from the front cover, all the pictures are in black and white so it was real treat to see the work in colour.  However, I had no idea that his wife also shares his passion and creativity.  Gosh, if only I could get my wife to be even fractionally interested in the hobby!  

We really do stand on the shoulders of giants - had it not been for the efforts and publications from these modellers I doubt I'd have given trying the techniques I use in my own work a go. They were the ultimate contributors from the 'make do mend' generation and demonstrate that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to something.  One thing I've learnt is that the joy in modelling is found in the journey rather than the outcome - something that Peter and Dave expressed many times in their publications.  The hobby owes them so much and it's brilliant that Tony Gee took on Buckingham and restored it so others can also appreciate the work - many thanks to him and I hope to see further articles about the layout in the future.

You know, BRM has come a very long way over the last few years and it's a real joy to see it on the shelves every month.  Being unafraid to revisit the past like this demonstrates the editoral team's confidence in where they have taken the magazine so far - precisely what makes for a great monthly in the long run.  By the way, thanks for the plug in the digital advert - I got a real kick out of seeing my 'Station' picture, particularly in this issue.

Mike

• Administrators

For those going to the Doncaster Show this weekend, pop along to the BRM stand and you'll find Carly, Ruth and Amie who will be only too happy to give you a demonstration of our Digital Edition. Also, if you subscribe to the Digital Edition at the show you can pick a free gift of either a loco or a Workstation.

Alternatively, we have this offer going until February 28th, our lowest ever Digital Edition price: https://pocketmags.com/offer/crazyoffer

post-14186-0-86173200-1518177144_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

I bought the 'Building a Layout' digital edition with Phil a little while ago and was tempted by this issue for the 'vintage' view, and with that deal above I can't help but subscribe. One question :where is the "60 years of TT" shortcut please?

Top of page 81 - Pat's Triang article.

Please should "Kevin" every time I say "Bob" too, as I might have mistaken him for another 3mm builder when doing the interview...

• 9 months later...

Re March 2018 issue, I have just been going through the magazine again, I keep older issues of magazines in my car, to read whilst I wait for ?????????? to return from shopping. Could anybody tell me please the name of the layout/layouts on page 35 under the title 'Changing Era's'? I am particularly interested in the top layout with the lighthouse.

Hoping somebody can oblige, regards Mike Lee

Re March 2018 issue, I have just been going through the magazine again, I keep older issues of magazines in my car, to read whilst I wait for ?????????? to return from shopping. Could anybody tell me please the name of the layout/layouts on page 35 under the title 'Changing Era's'? I am particularly interested in the top layout with the lighthouse.

Hoping somebody can oblige, regards Mike Lee

It's a BRM reader's layout. I don't know the name but it's a rather nice scene isn't it?

It's a BRM reader's layout. I don't know the name but it's a rather nice scene isn't it?

Andy.

As editor is it not possible please to contact the reader, George Willetts, and ask him what the layout is called, or pass on my request?

Regards Mike Lee

Andy.

As editor is it not possible please to contact the reader, George Willetts, and ask him what the layout is called, or pass on my request?

Regards Mike Lee

I am not the magazine's editor Mike, it is likely that Howard Smith would have been the point of contact with the layout owner. Drop him an email using his email address given on P7 of your mag.