BRM March '18 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

we don't have a BluRay DVD player 

Probably a standard DVD player attached to a TV would suffice. I only mentioned BluRay since that's what I used.

Glad you have a solution that doesn't disturb Mrs Stationmaster's choice of viewing. Whatever Only Connect is.

The problem is with those that the images were extracted from the digital files of an earlier supplement, the original files seem to be in the Bourne Triangle - it is a shame as they are not up to the standard that Tony's original images would be. If they ever surface we will let you know.

By way of compensation here's a couple more Buckingham pics that weren't included in the print mag which show some of the fine work on the layout. I was having a conversation with a friend today saying that I (and he) prefer less conventional shots of layouts than the ones the editors always play safe with. ;)

attachicon.gifBuckingham_Feature_1.jpg

attachicon.gifBuckingham_Feature_2.jpg

I think the print copy is a bit too dark too (similar comments from friends) I'm afraid.

Thanks for posting those photos Andy.

They are fabulous. Really like those sort of shots.

The problem is with those that the images were extracted from the digital files of an earlier supplement, the original files seem to be in the Bourne Triangle - it is a shame as they are not up to the standard that Tony's original images would be. If they ever surface we will let you know.

The Bourne Triangle- is that the fourth instalment of the Jason Bourne Trilogy?

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And I’ve taken the liberty of crudely amending the ‘multi layer layout’ diagram in page 34 to something a bit more realistic

07316185-C0BE-4EFB-9D4A-050207C2115C.jpg

Nice work! We did have some similar issues with a layout built along those lines but with a spiral to connect the levels. When you got more than a couple of less than slim operators, it got quite cosy.

post-1457-0-48178500-1517744155_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I purchased the issue yesterday as I was motivated by the contents. A good issue. However, I now learn that there is more film content that is available only to digital subscribers. This seems rather unfair to us paper warriors and I would like to be able to see the film of Buckingham particularly. Could there not be a process whereby the purchasers were not discriminated against in this way?

Martin Long

Edited by glo41f
  • Like 1

I now learn that there is more film content that is available only to digital subscribers. This seems rather unfair to us paper warriors and I would like to be able to see the film of Buckingham particularly. Could there not be a process whereby the purchasets were not discrimainated against in this way?

I have to admit that does tend to put me off buying a copy. But I understand the business aim which is to sign up people to subscriptions, although that does then beg the question of do printed paper copy subscribers get access to the 'extras'? And if not, can it not be introduced?

G

Because of where I live, I take out subscriptions to my favourite magazines - the distribution to the newsagent is sometimes sporadic. If you have ‘digital subscriptions only’ for some, you can also miss out on the freebies which come with the printed version. I know the newspaper and magazine print industry is struggling, but I get annoyed when I see ‘extra special’ offers for magazines I subscribe to being available only through WH Smith or Tesco’s! It’s a difficult situation all round - more subscriptions ensures the viability of the publication and I do prefer to read a physical magazine/newspaper rather than on a screen. I am one of the ‘older’ demographic!

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

• RMweb Gold

Hi, just a question on pricing.

I thought I'd buy a single issue download as I'm not going to get out of the house for a few days, looking at the BRM site the download is priced at £4.99 with a print copy available at £4.75 plus free P&P.

This looks a bit weird, I would have thought the digital download would have been cheaper?

I'll guess I'll just wait until I am out later in the week.

Edited by Argos

• Administrators

I thought I'd buy a single issue download as I'm not going to get out of the house for a few days, looking at the BRM site the download is priced at £4.99 with a print copy available at £4.75 plus free P&P.

This looks a bit weird, I would have thought the digital download would have been cheaper?

It's been this way for a while because of all the extra content in the digit edition.

• Administrators

I purchased the issue yesterday as I was motivated by the contents. A good issue. However, I now learn that there is more film content that is available only to digital subscribers. This seems rather unfair to us paper warriors and I would like to be able to see the film of Buckingham particularly. Could there not be a process whereby the purchasers were not discriminated against in this way?

Martin Long

Hi Martin. I appreciate your frustration but much of the extra digital content can, at this moment in time, only be accessed through a digital magazine. Print readers benefit in other ways that digital readers don't. For example, the free gifts we often put with the magazine are not offered to digital readers. Print subscribers often get a free gift. This isn't available to digital subscribers. We can't offer digital subscribers a discount on our show tickets...

• Administrators

A single issue of the Digital Magazine has been £4.99 for 12 months now. You get so much more with the digital magazine we feel that a higher cover price is justified. A subscription is, however, far cheaper and you have the option of doing a month-by-month subscriptions. Whilst we save money by not having to print digital magazines, we have to pay a hefty commission to the digital provider and Apple like their cut too!!!

I was looking forward to the video of Buckingham, only to find that it wasn't on the DVD.  Very disappointing.

Design and production editing of the magazine also seems to be slipshod.  (I won't bore everyone by listing all the misprints.) The photos of the Buckingham Branch (as mentioned before) are too dark, and whoever designed the front cover needs to be sent on a training course in Graphic Design!  What on earth was the "Also in this issue" overlay doing up there?  It could and should have been put lower down, where it would have obscured only some plain track, and we could actually have seen the main subject of the photo - the train, and the gasworks behind it.  The whole design of the cover was far too 'busy'.

I pick up issues of BRM (like other magazines) when they appear to contain something interesting.  I don't think it would be worthwhile taking out a subscription and, like at least one other correspondent, I certainly don't want to have to access the magazine online.  If BRM doesn't serve readers of the paper version of the magazine better, we shall simply stop buying it.

[Having said all that, I did enjoy Jerry Clifford's description of his Tucking Mill layout.]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was looking forward to the video of Buckingham, only to find that it wasn't on the DVD.  Very disappointing.

Design and production editing of the magazine also seems to be slipshod.  (I won't bore everyone by listing all the misprints.) The photos of the Buckingham Branch (as mentioned before) are too dark, and whoever designed the front cover needs to be sent on a training course in Graphic Design!  What on earth was the "Also in this issue" overlay doing up there?  It could and should have been put lower down, where it would have obscured only some plain track, and we could actually have seen the main subject of the photo - the train, and the gasworks behind it.  The whole design of the cover was far too 'busy'.

I pick up issues of BRM (like other magazines) when they appear to contain something interesting.  I don't think it would be worthwhile taking out a subscription and, like at least one other correspondent, I certainly don't want to have to access the magazine online.  If BRM doesn't serve readers of the paper version of the magazine better, we shall simply stop buying it.

[Having said all that, I did enjoy Jerry Clifford's description of his Tucking Mill layout.]

Hmm, I must have a copy from a different print run as the Buckingham photos look just right to me with none of the paler areas over bright or overpowering the rest of the picture and all the detail visible.  Horses for courses I suppose and I thought it was smashing to see the layout reproduced in contemporary colour printing, a huge change from the b&w originals of years ago.  Some things are entirely a matter of opinion of course but if the 'Also in ...etc' had been at the bottom of the page it might have obscured the point rodding instead of part of the signals.  However I'm not, nor ever have been, a graphic designer so perhaps I don't understand these things?

• RMweb Premium

As the magazine is now 25 years old, I dug out the first one to contrast and compare. Perhaps things have moved on in publishing but in terms of style, attractiveness and the way articles are set out as if the reader has an attention span of more than 5 seconds, the 25 year old edition wins hands down in every respect.

Text together in big chunks instead of split up and spread all over, captions (even on the front cover) either under or beside the picture, or perhaps along the very edge, obscuring no interesting content. Nicely framed pictures, with colours and sharpness much better than they are now. Seeing Andy York's photos as he produced them and then seeing how they look in the magazine, there is no comparison. They colours are poor. And the photos of David Jenkinson's layout are simp!y awful. Are these things messed up at printing, when it is too late?

I ask myself if things have improved in 25 years but I am sorry to say, I my view, they have not.

Here's hoping the photos of Grandborough Junction and Leighton Buzzard in the next issue are better. Andy took some cracking good shots and it is a shame if they are not as good in print.

• Administrators

As the magazine is now 25 years old, I dug out the first one to contrast and compare. Perhaps things have moved on in publishing but in terms of style, attractiveness and the way articles are set out as if the reader has an attention span of more than 5 seconds, the 25 year old edition wins hands down in every respect.

In the last 25 years, the Internet has happened. People no longer read great blocks of text, they scan for bits of interest, hence the need to break stuff up into smaller chunks. If you can wind the clock back then maybe we'll have long lumps of text again. However, the information density is often higher now. No need to read meandering prose, the facts are distilled down now. 

Likewise, the cover styles from years ago don't perform well on the newsstand of today. You might be surprised to know that we do have a pretty good idea which subject needs to appear on the most important page of a magazine (Hint: A steam engine) for it to sell, and how much selling needs to be carried out by the other headlines on there. If you really want to get into the subject, there's mountains of user testing information for websites, which work in a very similar way. The right combination of keywords can make a huge difference.

I also wonder how different magazines of 25 years ago would be if today's technology was available. I remember writing step-by-step articles that would have been very difficult to illustrate in the same way as we do today. The cameras weren't as easy to use, post-processing was harder and you had to gamble that the shots would come back from the processor at all. Given the same camera Andy has, what would Brian Monaghan have done?

Ultimately, you can't please all the people all the time. Judging by the number of people who comment favourably on the DVD, often claiming it to be their favourite part, you wonder if anyone reads at all now?

words,words,words, you wonder if anyone reads at all now?

Sorry; what were you saying? ;)

There's some truth in there I think; when we look at how long people have spent, on average, viewing pages in the digital issue they spend as long looking at a picture spread across two pages as they do at a couple of pages full of those word things. I look at the Youtube stats, more people watch a video (for longer) of some product related content rather than informative creative content. S'the way of the world.

I ust go out and get a new keyboard as y  is issing,

• Like 3

OK, I feel like a complete numpty here but where is the 10-min video of Phil Parker looking back at 60-years of TT?

I've looked but can't find it. What page is the video link on? :)

It's at the top of the last page on the retro Tri-ang article in the digital edition - Digital Page 81

It's at the top of the last page on the retro Tri-ang article in the digital edition - Digital Page 81

Thanks Andy... Well how did I miss that? And i've just got my new glasses haha (its on page 78 of mine though!?!)

Edited by 37081LochLong