Accurascale Announce OO HUO - NEW PRE-TOPS RUN ANNOUNCED 23/07/2020

The paint will be pristine on these as we are not major fans of factory weathering, they just cannot replicate the distressed state the HUOs got into in their lives. 

And a rake of factory-weathered wagons will all look the same, I guess, which is hardly prototypic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

..... "apart from" ..... ? ................ Betteshanger may not have shipped black gold for as longs as Arigna but ............

Indeed, but the 1/153s were taken off that traffic and put to work carrying stone between Didcot and Lydd, only carrying coal again once they had their vac brakes decommissioned. :)

Edited by Patrick

Indeed, but the 1/153s were taken off that traffic and put to work carrying stone between Didcot and Lydd, only carrying coal again once they had their vac brakes decommissioned. :)

What did they want stone for at Lydd ? .......... wasn't shingle good enough for them !

Come to think of it, what sort of stone were they quarrying at Didcot ?

Hello Fran (071),

How about a APCM Cemflo PCV hopper?

There has been great interest on a number of threads on this site and I'm confident it would be a good seller.

Long lived and on most if not all regions.

There is an example available for scanning adjacent to the Head of Steam museum in Darlington.

There are a number of variances between the Gloucester and Metro Cammel builds and developments in running gear but not insurmountable.

Anyone modelling the East Coast Mainline would probably want 26 of these to make up a train. So, packs of 13 would be the obvious size.

If the 24.5 ton mineral is anything to go by (scanning to market in less than 9 months), we could have these by Christmas.

Good luck and my order for the current model will be with you tomorrow.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hello Fran (071),

There has been great interest on a number of threads on this site and I'm confident it would be a good seller.

There is an example available for scanning adjacent to the Head of Steam museum in Darlington.

There are a number of variances between the Gloucester and Metro Cammel builds and developments in running gear but not insurmountable.

Anyone modelling the East Coast Mainline would probably want 26 of these to make up a train. So, packs of 13 would be the obvious size.

If the 24.5 ton mineral is anything to go by (scanning to market in less than 9 months), we could have these by Christmas.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I just looked them up and they look a cool wagon. 

Thanks,

Fran

What did they want stone for at Lydd ? .......... wasn't shingle good enough for them !

Come to think of it, what sort of stone were they quarrying at Didcot ?

Was the flow perhaps in the opposite direction, from Lydd to Didcot?

Significant numbers worked on stone traffic out of the Mendips; a recent thread on here about the early days of the traffic from there had quite a few views of them.

Hello Fran (071),

Bob

A great idea but I am not convinced you'd sell sufficient packs of 13 - and that is assuming Accurascale are not superstiitious over the number 13   !!!!

I think you would need to go for six packs of four wagons if you did, but it is a big order to organise.

In my view Oxford Rail style 3 packs are the way to go. 

A great idea but I am not convinced you'd sell sufficient packs of 13 - and that is assuming Accurascale are not superstiitious over the number 13   !!!!

I think you would need to go for six packs of four wagons if you did, but it is a big order to organise.

In my view Oxford Rail style 3 packs are the way to go. 

OK. So, it's 9 packs of 3.

27 in total.

That's one for Ebay and 26 for the Cliffe to Uddington.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement so far, both on here, Facebook, PMs and email. They have confirmed that entering the British market was the right thing for us to do.

Now, let’s have a first look at our HUO ‘in the plastic’. 

post-7114-0-80383900-1517475298.png

post-7114-0-27620800-1517475318.png

post-7114-0-88002100-1517475376.png

post-7114-0-68991100-1517475360.png

OK, we’ll level with you. Tooling was going quite nicely until we noticed a flaw. We want our model to be as perfect as manufacturing will allow, so we have decided to alter the tooling to correct the issue. This has delayed the sample by about two weeks, but we are confident that the bridge between sample and production is very small, so it should not affect delivery time. Indeed, our factory is now preparing test parts as you can see below.

post-7114-0-65643900-1517475558_thumb.png

Thankfully, help was at hand and a quick phone call to a leading UK-based 3D printing firm secured this sample. Please bare this in mind when analysing photos, and there are some parts missing which will be on the production model. As soon as the factory production sample arrives, we will share pics with you. However, this print is seriously impressive and was turned around in double-quick time. You can see its limitations in areas like the buffer heads, but overall, wow!

The book is now open on pre-orders. As stated previously, it’s £59.95 for a pack of three and we are doing a rake deal of all five packs of pre-TOPS wagons for £275, including free two-day shipping to the UK and Ireland! We will offer similar deals on TOPS variants when we start taking pre-orders.

As you have probably read many times at this stage, we believe that the devil is in the detail, and the HUO will be no different. Below is a parts diagram showing just how many separate parts go into one of our wagons. We want to give you the highest possible detail for your buck. Anyone fancy counting?

post-7114-0-64013000-1517475680_thumb.png

Below are livery details and numbers for the first five packs of HUOs in pre-TOPS condition. Pre-ordering is now open! Please note that our web software does not allow for no money down pre orders, so you will be charged if you place your order today.

Pack A

B333635              Self-contained buffers    HOP 24 1/2 marking        [route info blanked out]

B335009              Spindle buffers                 COAL HOP marking          [route info blanked out]

B335539N           Spindle buffers                 HOP 24 1/2 marking        [route info blanked out]

Pack B

B333897              Self-contained buffers    HOP 24 marking              

LOAD ONLY TO STELLA NORTH OR SOUTH DUNSTON OR BLYTH POWER STATIONS

B334155              Self-contained buffers    HOP 24 marking               LOAD ONLY TO STELLA NORTH OR SOUTH DUNSTON OR BLYTH POWER STATIONS

B334160              Self-contained buffers    HOP 24 marking               LOAD ONLY TO STELLA NORTH OR SOUTH DUNSTON OR BLYTH POWER STATIONS

Pack C

B334429              Self-contained buffers    24 1/2T marking               LOAD ONLY TO KINCARDINE POWER STATION SC REGION

B334438              Self-contained buffers    HOP marking                     [route info blanked out]

B334548              Self-contained buffers    24 1/2T marking               LOAD ONLY TO KINCARDINE POWER STATION SC REGION

Pack D

B334949              Spindle buffers                 HOP marking      [route info blanked out]

B335039              Spindle buffers                 HOP marking      [route info blanked out]

B335703              Self-contained buffers    HOP marking      [route info blanked out]

Pack E

B336817              Self-contained buffers    24 1/2T marking               LOAD ONLY TO THORPE MARSH POWER STATION (YORKS) N.E.R.

B336937              Self-contained buffers    24 1/2T marking               LOAD ONLY TO THORPE MARSH POWER STATION (YORKS) N.E.R.

B337128N           Self-contained buffers    HOP marking                     LOAD ONLY TO THORPE MARSH POWER STATION (YORKS) N.E.R.

post-7114-0-66353000-1517476694_thumb.png

post-7114-0-10282500-1517477199_thumb.png

post-7114-0-75360600-1517477254_thumb.png

post-7114-0-88962400-1517477307_thumb.png

post-7114-0-77422200-1517477371_thumb.png

Edited by 071
  • Like 13

They look stunning, so much so that pack E has just been ordered! I'm sure they would have trundled through York so easily fulfills one of my modeling criteria (which are pretty loose as it is!)

I dare say that when funds allow, more will be added too, though I'm sure for now they'll fit nicely amongst a mixed rake of like traffic vehicles, and a brake van of course!

Looking forward to their arrival in due course.

Cheers

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably none of these would have worked in to Somerset / Devon / Cornwall ?

Off hand I can't think of any flows which would have taken them that way but someone else might know of one.

I also, regrettably, have more than a suspicion that they would have been a rarity on the North & West Line c.1960 but hopefully somebody might know better on that as well?

With Kilmersdon incline in mind I doubt if the Somerset Coalfield ever used anything bigger than 16 tonners .......... but Rule 1 might easily permit a flow of stone from the Mendips ( probably to Dungeness via Didcot ).

• Like 1

Off hand I can't think of any flows which would have taken them that way but someone else might know of one.

I also, regrettably, have more than a suspicion that they would have been a rarity on the North & West Line c.1960 but hopefully somebody might know better on that as well?

I suspect that much of what the HUOs did in the late 50s and 60s was to establish merry go round working but in a conventional loco run-round way.  Big trains of coal from pit to power station, possibiy via staging yards.  Ideal fodder to stick between pairs of class 20s, or a 37,  and a brakevan.  Or heavy steam if you model that period.  

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

Have ordered 3 sets, the samples look brilliant. Have sent an e-mail querying the terms of the order, as the links on the website to postage terms, advise that postage will be a flat rate of £10, however for orders over £100 despatched to UK or Ireland addresses, the postage will be free. My order was circa £179, however your order system generated a £10 flat rate postage fee. Can you clarify the correct position, as the postage link info may only be appropriate for the Irish Scale Models business?

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

Have ordered 3 sets, the samples look brilliant. Have sent an e-mail querying the terms of the order, as the links on the website to postage terms, advise that postage will be a flat rate of £10, however for orders over £100 despatched to UK or Ireland addresses, the postage will be free. My order was circa £159, however your order system generated a £10 flat rate postage fee. Can you clarify the correct position, as the postage link may only be appropriate for the Irish Scale Models business?

Hi Rembrow,

We are having a couple of glitches this morning (always the way with launches!) with the site. As you state, you should have received free shipping. Can you PM me your name and address and we will get that refunded for you? 

Cheers for the order btw! 

Have ordered 3 sets, the samples look brilliant. Have sent an e-mail querying the terms of the order, as the links on the website to postage terms, advise that postage will be a flat rate of £10, however for orders over £100 despatched to UK or Ireland addresses, the postage will be free. My order was circa £159, however your order system generated a £10 flat rate postage fee. Can you clarify the correct position, as the postage link may only be appropriate for the Irish Scale Models business?

Hi, Rembrow

See post#95 above, you have to manually choose the Free postage option.

MC