Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Update: I managed to swing my the local model shop on the way home from work. Beer tokens were exchanged for their last sheet of HMRS Pre-Grouping Scottish goods wagon transfers. What a difference the typeface makes!

Typeface.jpg.4b3e87218b86704df1fe2b5ef23c42e7.jpg

The wagons look older already just through the shape of the G. I also like the extra width through rounded lettering and the wider S. Unfortunately this means I need to go back and redo the already-lettered wagons, but it's a bit enough difference that I think it'll be worth it.

Typeface2.jpg.ee17fdbdf53e6e79e89b444a1c780975.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

That could very well work, but unfortunately I've lost my access to the fancy laser printer at work through being made redundant, and I don't have a printer of my own. 

I'll see what I can do - gunpowder van notice that is, not employment, I'm afraid.

Thank you! I've managed to get some temporary employment, so I'll continue to have a roof over my head (and my layout!) but sadly no printer included. 

I've also finished one side of this (not pre-grouping, but only just - 1924!) for the 0-16.5 club layout we're taking to Model Rail Scotland next weekend (we have an interchange siding to show the relative sizes of standard and narrow gauge) but I've mislaid the transfers for the other side! Fortunately the public will only see one side.

20200216_140734.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Presumably you have this in mind as a template?

8_web_version.jpg

(Linked image from LYRS website.)

Notice that the railmotor is arranged as (engine unit), luggage, (passenger saloon with single door), (driver's compartment).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

It was prtobably probably converted into a saloon with doors nailed shut when they built the railmotor. And the mystery no-one has solved is why the Great Southern named its railmotor "TAPAM"

Wouldn’t a saloon have longitudinal rather than transverse seats?

Aha, possibly it's not very clear from the drawing - I'll redraw it with the doors more clearly marked:
image.png.fdbc71cd2821ace581dbc0395ae60428.png

The idea is that the leftmost two doors are a luggage compartment, then a passenger saloon (with two doors separated by two droplights (note: lack of opening sections on long lights), then a single-door driving compartment. Editing out the hinges and door handles was a little beyond me! Longitudinal seating would, of course, be de rigeur, although I agree about the passenger seated in the doorway - one assumes he is the guard walking through the saloon! He appeared in the photograph which I used for the coach, as it is a Hornby 4-wheeler (albeit not the standard one - one from the battery-powered Thomas the Tank Engine set:image.png.a4beca877774d386ea04c734ab402bdd.png
The coaches actually have reasonable panelling detail with properly raised beading, unlike the normal Hornby 4-wheelers, and benefit from an extra compartment. Besides, with two of them plus a push-along Thomas loco available from eBay for £14 including postage, bashing them about wouldn't break the bank.
image.png.4e6698f74f7f1cdb45135ab3fbdc075d.png

• Like 4

Just on my way into Glasgow for Model Rail Scotland on this traditionally dreich morning, ready to operate Talybont with the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC. From looking around during setup, it should be a good show!

I spotted a P4 Stockton & Darlington layout, which I certainly intend to have a closer look at, and there are usually a few good sources of second-hand bashing supplies amongst the traders. 

As ever, if anyone from the pre-grouping section (I'm looking at you, @Caley Jim!) is about, feel free to come and say hi. I'm fairly obvious with the bright purple hair!

Well, it was a good show! Some excellent layouts on show, but I feel I might be drifting into the pre-grouping modeller experience: no new models, but various bits and pieces bought. 

A couple of bits from Squires for a project, several sets of Gibson wagon and carriage wheels, two Bachmann brake van bodies (well, at a pound each it'd be rude not to, especially as they can make a GSR brake van!) and Weddell's LSWR Carriages, vol. 3. 

I've definitely had more expensive shows! 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been playing host to the black dog again. 

Another sleepless night found me dragging out the LSWR cattle van CAD again. Small details have been gradually getting added and with any luck I will get a chance to finish it and try a test print over the weekend. 

Presented for your delectation/constructive criticism:

unknown.png.7d29119846a55a6d1452c99026debe2b.png

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

This drawing gives enough detail of the Midland design, which looks pretty basic - a simple frame of one cross-timber at the top and four verticals, boarded crossways. This doesn't have the LSWR sophistication of locating notches in the bottom plank, instead just blocks screwed into the side rail.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Looks good, Linny, though I can't comment on the details, it being from foreign parts!  :P

Slowly getting my head round 3D CAD and have drawn up that pillar we talked about at Model Rail, but as far as I can see AutoCAD will only save files as .dxf or .dwg, not .stl.

Jim

Well, it still looks substantially the same, but I've added all the details I wanted to, with the exception of the offset brake pipes (though not fitted, this was a "piped" vehicle. I struggle to imagine fitted freights being much of a thing at this point, so were these intended to run with passenger stock? The reason for this is that they're just such an awkward shape to model in SketchUp. That being said, I am going to try to move over to Fusion (yes, I know I've said that in the past!) because it's just so much more powerful as a piece of CAD software.

Anyway! A high-resolution render of what (hopefully!) it should look like when done! The colour has been deliberately lightened to highlight detail. Added since the last shot are: label clips, drawbar plates on the bufferbeams, partition size plates, nuts and washers at the ends of the window bars, modified lamp irons, horse hooks, and yet more bolt heads.

I'm sure I've spent far longer on this model than I would have done on a physical one, but then again, with the printer I can produce far finer models, so...

D1508.png.0d3ee96460e69b48309f6d656c81e3c8.png

Now, let's figure out how to print the bloomin' thing!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4