Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

7 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

As Annie says, it's very polygon-heavy, once exported in a vaguely-useful format.

Also, while SketchUp works on a polygon level while designing (which can be a pain for 3D printing because you can end up with infinitely-thin walls), Fusion models as solids defined by geometric shapes - a circle in Fusion is genuinely a mathematically-defined circle, and a cylinder is solid rather than just being a sort of wrapper. This makes life much easier for designing for physical models, but would be somewhat of a nightmare for a simulation.

I've also designed this with the intention of it being physically assemble-able from parts in real life, so there are clearance gaps and hollow parts all over the place, and parts designed with minimum thicknesses based on what the printer will do, rather than what would be accurate to scale, and it's also designed for chunky 00-gauge wheels which means a fair few compromises all over the place.

Finally, while it appears animated above, what I've actually done is create what Fusion calls a "motion study", which allows me to define (in the software) links and joints between the components (sliders for the crossheads, rotational joints for the wheels, etc) and see how they interact when any one joint is "driven" or moved. Unfortunately those joints wouldn't be preserved when exporting to a Train-Simulator-style file, so that animation work would all have to be done again!

I did wonder about the polygons and thicknesses, also interesting to hear about the 'animation' - Just figured it was worth asking! It's a truly beautiful piece of CAD work.

• Skinnylinny changed the title to Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - A Virtual LB&SCR B1!

Thank you, sem, very kind of you!

Well, that's two days I've spent trying to work out the intricacies of the Westinghouse brake pump and some of its associated plumbing. It's starting to look like it belongs, now, along with various other details. I've made a rookie mistake with the number plate though - this model (as it stands) can't represent that particular class member! I'll have to re-do that bit.

5b0c01fd-b5c5-485c-b9c3-4be2af02abd9.PNG.b481778236924922e45f2abf2d891101.PNG

Still a long way to go yet - at least another 20 major "to do"s, then a fair amount of little tweaks here and there. Then I need to decide if I want to design parts to portray the Marsh re-boilered variants... and the vacuum fitted ones, different smokebox doors...

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Well, this week has mostly been spent adding lots of small details (including the two smokebox-side brass valves - the cylinder coasting lubricator on the right, and the blower on the left) to the loco, and various underframe gubbins. Stroudley seems to have been fairly keen on just hanging any pipework off the bottom of the frames, so I've had to model some bits (simplified) on the frames, and the steam exhaust pipes from the cylinders to the tender (feedwater heating/condensing) will be separately-fitted parts, just because trying to assemble a crank axle between them already fitted would be even more of a headache than if I could get in there without such encumbrances. The underneath is now looking rather more busy!

unknown.png

Now that the loco is looking fairly complete, so some work has started on the tender. It now has brakes and rigging, a filler cap and a toolbox, plus some lining, but I can't find any photos anywhere of the front of Gladstone's tender, and the three drawings I have vary quite considerably in the placement of details... I don't suppose anyone has anything relevant from visits to the NRM? Everyone seems to photograph the cab controls but never looks back. I have to admit, looking through my own photos, I almost never think to take photos of the tender front!

1018013976_B126-02-2021.PNG.e34d3994850ae41acde9d3a494e5c09e.PNG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

9 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, this week has mostly been spent adding lots of small details (including the two smokebox-side brass valves - the cylinder coasting lubricator on the right, and the blower on the left) to the loco, and various underframe gubbins. Stroudley seems to have been fairly keen on just hanging any pipework off the bottom of the frames, so I've had to model some bits (simplified) on the frames, and the steam exhaust pipes from the cylinders to the tender (feedwater heating/condensing) will be separately-fitted parts, just because trying to assemble a crank axle between them already fitted would be even more of a headache than if I could get in there without such encumbrances. The underneath is now looking rather more busy!

unknown.png

Now that the loco is looking fairly complete, so some work has started on the tender. It now has brakes and rigging, a filler cap and a toolbox, plus some lining, but I can't find any photos anywhere of the front of Gladstone's tender, and the three drawings I have vary quite considerably in the placement of details... I don't suppose anyone has anything relevant from visits to the NRM? Everyone seems to photograph the cab controls but never looks back. I have to admit, looking through my own photos, I almost never think to take photos of the tender front!

Lovely work, but there is a nuance of the Gladstone lining that most people overlook, including NRM.  The bottom lining on the splashers was, generally, all carried through at the same level, resulting in a wider gap than usual between the lining and the running plate, as can be seen here.

image.png.906ee3c7e64639c1028cb7a178021866.png

In addition, most of the time the lining to the cab side also followed at the same level, resulting in the loco lining not matching the levels on the tender.  Note also that the IEG panel on the cab front usually stopped at the same level.

Photographing the tender is a bit difficult with the screens in place.  Do these help, from 2011?

image.png.f12e5321ff92dfcf606ba3ec6d171753.pngimage.png.d4eda4a70b33a4b9cd4bccfe892897fe.pngimage.png.83b00a0d327ca488b19d661066524c6b.pngimage.png.26adbe134e620a6b65a855b45129745a.pngimage.png.96f7201519bd2439d0c19ddf349532ff.pngimage.png.a27e781b62fe95947440b8bf1c3084a5.png

Edited by Nick Holliday
Date of NRM photos corrected
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

That was a lovely thing to wake up to!

Thanks to Ian and Nick, those are really useful photos, especially the tender interior shots. Many thanks indeed!

39 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Lovely work, but there is a nuance of the Gladstone lining that most people overlook, including NRM.  The bottom lining on the splashers was, generally, all carried through at the same level, resulting in a wider gap than usual between the lining and the running plate, as can be seen here.

image.png.906ee3c7e64639c1028cb7a178021866.png

In addition, most of the time the lining to the cab side also followed at the same level, resulting in the loco lining not matching the levels on the tender.  Note also that the IEG panel on the cab front usually stopped at the same level.

That's a very good spot, thank you! I see I've also forgotten the corners on the cab lining, having left them plain - I shall tweak those too!

8 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

The two 'Smokebox side brass valves' are lubricators.

Jim

As per Loco Profile 32, The Brighton Gladstones, "In the first batch of Gladstones, oil for cylinder and steamchest lubrication was delivered from cup-type liubricators on the front of the smokebox. On the r.h.s. of the smokebox, operated by a rod running from the cab through the handrail, was a small lubricator that fed the cylinders only when the engine was coasting." The same publication explains that the left-hand side smokebox side fitting was a blower valve, also operated by a rod through the handrail, which explains the different shape between the two, and the lack of a filler cap on the left-hand one.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

A new locomotive has arrived on Linton shed, to be added to the GSR stud. Well, I say "new" - the locomotive was built in 1953 (slightly post-grouping, but it looks period enough to me!) at a cost of £4/7/9 (plus 14/7½d sales tax!) from Hamblings kit. Evidently the railway has come into some money.

The locomotive will undergo a full mechanical overhaul and be repainted, while the decision of whether or not to fit handrails and vacuum brake equipment is made by the board. The locomotive is expected to be a powerful hauler, weighing in at over four times the weight of the Hattons P class, and will probably be put to use on freight services. New safety valves will need to be acquired and fitted, which are expected to be of the Ramsbottom type.

20210308_120600.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

It does indeed, although I refuse outright to convert it to an extended-tank E2, regardless of what some modellers might have to say on the matter!

But what about the unique E1X?

image.png.1a7ac4d446cf89ced525ec304a2829f6.png

Photo courtesy of D Searle / Brighton Circle website

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

On 26/02/2021 at 17:35, Skinnylinny said:

unknown.png

Thank you, Annie; very kind!

With how nicely the 24' luggage van came out, I noticed that an elliptical-roof 30' full brake would use a lot of the same geometry, and decided to do a cut-and-shut of my own design, stretching it, removing the louvred vents on the sides and moving the panelling around.

On the body, the only completely new bits were the ducket and one section of panelling between the ducket and guard's door. I still need to add one or two handrails, and two oil lamps to the roof.

The underframe has had one or two bits removed (mainly the gas tank and handbrake lever) and needs some of the washer plates and bolt heads moving around a bit, but otherwise it's looking pretty respectable already - not bad for half a day's work!

1161467028_LSWRLuggageVans.PNG.58a9963e822ea808c1e40e359299c49a.PNG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, some paint and transfers make a heck of a difference. Only a few little jobs to do now - some handrails to glue onto the printed supports at the waist, some glazing, and a gentle warming of the underframe to straighten it out again. Oh, and I need to find an appropriate running number but that'll have to wait until I get home to my books again!

20210326_133350.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, some paint and transfers make a heck of a difference. Only a few little jobs to do now - some handrails to glue onto the printed supports at the waist, some glazing, and a gentle warming of the underframe to straighten it out again. Oh, and I need to find an appropriate running number but that'll have to wait until I get home to my books again!

20210326_133350.jpg

It's a D228, yes? In which case 248-272 inclusive, according to Weddell.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for that, that saves me a week or so! I'll get a number on there shortly.

Very kind, and yes, a D228, although looking at the drawing I scanned from Weddell I note it says "Door waist panels probably made of slate". Oh well! I presume they'd be grey, possibly with chalked-on destinations?

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Thanks for that, that saves me a week or so! I'll get a number on there shortly.

Very kind, and yes, a D228, although looking at the drawing I scanned from Weddell I note it says "Door waist panels probably made of slate". Oh well! I presume they'd be grey, possibly with chalked-on destinations?

Very hard to tell from the photos in there - there's no sign of any lettering therein though.

• Like 1

Well, The lettering is done on this side, although not *strictly* accurate in two ways:

1) The lettering in the middle panels is too high up - I misjudged it!
2) The "NO" should be a "№" but there isn't an appropriate one on the HMRS Pressfix sheet, nor are there any small enough other letters from which to make the "o" part, so the "ON" from "SECOND" got chopped out and flipped upside down to get a "NO"

I also had to respace the "L S W R" from the transfer sheet, so the middle two panels contain 8 separate pressfix transfers!

20210327_175927.jpg

...I need to give my eyes a rest before tackling the other side!

• Like 17

• Skinnylinny changed the title to Great Southern Railway (Fictitious)

That's me back at home for the foreseeable future - my furlough is coming to an end, and I start back at the office on Tuesday. 

I have had some modelling mojo return though, so having painted up the LSWR luggage van, I pulled out a part-built Roxey LSWR brake tricomposite (48' of 1894) which @AVS1998had sold me from a job-lot she got on eBay. These carriages were often used as through carriages, as they had all three classes of accommodation as well as a brake/small luggage compartment. Perfect for coupling to the tail of a short GSR train!

The carriage as it arrived had no bogies, underframe detail, roof or duckets.

20210404_104315.jpg

I've written to Roxey asking if the duckets are available separately, but I have managed to find a suitable piece of roof extrusion in the spares box, some bogies and buffers pinched off an old PC models carriage (which was fairly battered when I got it)

The etch primer, Phoenix salmon and brown and some matt black and mahogany (for the bolection mouldings and droplights) have come out, and I've used a 0.1mm brown ink pen for basic lining - it's a compromise, as it should really be black and red, but I think the suggestion of something there is more important than having lumpy, uneven but "correct" lining.

20210404_104526.jpg

Still to do: Continue painting the interior, either remove the paint from or paint the grabrails and door handles brass, glazing, interior details (again, mostly salvaged from the PC models carriage), roof (with ventilators and lamps), underframe details (bufferbeams and buffers, gas tanks and trussing, vacuum cylinders), and brake pipes.

A big project, but it's coming along very nicely so far!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8