Skinnylinny

Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Furlough Projects

Congratulations on the job. I hope it works out for you.

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes, Pleased to hear of that.  As you say it's better than being unemployed.

Jim

Chocolate you say, is that the big factory over Tidmouth way? ;)

57186123_Slugworthcopy.jpg.5efffcfcda81f5deaf6249cafb67b5d5.jpg

In all seriousness, congrats on the job Linny, ability to earn modelling tokens is always a good thing!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Heartfelt congratulations on the new job, Linny.

• Agree 1

On 07/08/2019 at 18:23, Skinnylinny said:

Well, it looks like the free time I currently have for modelling is about to be curtailed to some extent - I have received (and accepted) a job offer. It's a fair step down in terms of earnings, and a rather different field (being mostly IT based rather than engineering/manufacturing) working for a small chocolate company, but it's still much better than being on the dole.

On the other hand, hopefully I might be able to get around to getting some baseboards sorted out soon...

Congratulations and good luck, buddy! 

• Agree 2

Thanks to all for the good wishes!

So, after three days at the new job, I can definitely say I've worked in far worse places. The staff have all been very friendly, LGBTQ+-aware and friendly (to the extent that even before I'd been accepted for the role, the manager had checked what pronouns I use and passed on that information to the other staff so that they could get it right!), training has been provided at a measured rate to let me learn things gradually, and there is a small "Happy Box" of chocolates which didn't come out of moulds properly or failed for other reasons, and to which the staff are allowed to help themselves through the day. I'm going to have to be very careful about the combination of that one and my waistline...

Tuesday night was spent at the club bringing the signal box near to completion. Along with painting the back wall, I spent longer than I'd like to admit trying to get the steps and handrails straight and level. They don't come cut to length, so need trimming to fit, but they're so delicate to assemble, with no means of positively locating them and maybe a square millimetre or two of plastic touching between parts for the glue to stick. They're not perfectly straight, but they're the best I can manage. Still to do: painting the handrails, touching up the remaining paintwork, fitting the end glazing and painting the Modelu signalman to go inside, then working out how I intend to fit the lighting to the structure. Name boards will probably materialise once I've worked out if the station is to be Linton or Linton Town. I suppose the signalbox could be Linton regardless of what the station's called, could it not?

20190813_215942.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Nice to see you're doing well at the new job mate.

Also that signal box is lovely. Definitely tempting to make one for myself. 

Thanks to you both. :) unfortunately the stairs and landing aren't on the end I'd have preferred, but the ends can't really be swapped. I'm pondering flipping the layout from left to right, which, thinking about it, might be better for how the layout fits into the room, putting the fiddle yard at the foot of the bed and allowing freer access to the scenic section. Food for thought! 

15 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

..........., and there is a small "Happy Box" of chocolates which didn't come out of moulds properly or failed for other reasons, and to which the staff are allowed to help themselves through the day. I'm going to have to be very careful about the combination of that one and my waistline...

I remember my father telling me about the time he was sent to a chocolate factory to carry out repairs to an electric motor. Staff and visitors were allowed to eat as much chocolate as they wished. He said after being there all day he couldn't eat chocolate for weeks afterwards (and he was very fond of chocolate!)

Edited by JeremyC
  • Funny 1

Every Christmas we used to stay with my uncle who was a GP in Northfield, Birmingham.  He claimed that half his patients worked for Austin at Longbridge and the other half for Cadbury at Bournville.  Every Christmas his patients would give him bags of reject chocolates (mis-shapes, white bloom on them, etc.).  Between my 5 cousins and myself, they didn't keep for very long.

Sadly he never received any 'reject' cars!

Jim

• Like 5

Well, the steps are now painted, the signalman has been fitted, and all that remains is fitting the lighting and the box name boards. Overall, I'm very pleased with it, and I'm now pondering what to build next! There's a nice little pile of Petite Properties house kits awaiting my attention... 

20190815_195355.jpg.4ead6d7cb4d29596c1e7f2d00a0f2ef5.jpg20190815_203112.jpg.476f77042b0f426bf7902b5e0255d104.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Lovely job, Linny.

Petite Pproperties are great kits as you know, so more of them made up would be good to see.

• Like 2

They are lovely kits. I've only built one and a half of them so far but they've gone together beautifully and they don't suffer from the chocolate-box village look that some kits do, which is a bonus if I'm trying to represent a decently-sized town! 

Having inspected them at the Great Central, and chatted to the proprietors, I reckon that they could easily be adapted for use with brick-papers, so their future use would be consistent with the character of CA buildings.

Your flint cottage is really special, however.

• Thanks 1

Excellent work on the signal box Linny, - that is a fine model indeed.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

They do suggest brick paper, I believe. I am currently pondering brick plasticard, myself... Or possibly even lasering the bricks on myself! 

• Like 2

Looking at your Saxby & Farmer signal box Linny I've just realised that a digital GER signal box model I use is a Saxby & Farmer signal box.  True enough it's in GER colours and there are photos about of the prototype, but since it was built by Saxby & Farmer that means that I can reskin it it into other company liveries with a clear conscience (Provided they used Saxby & Farmer signal boxes of course).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Annie said:

....... (Provided they used Saxby & Farmer signal boxes of course).

And signalling equipment!

Jim

• Agree 1

You can mix-and-match to some extent, I gather, especially if modelling the SECR.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

And signalling equipment!

Jim

My usual go-to for old railways is the excellent series of McKenzie & Holland split post signals made for Trainz because they do what they say on the tin and work flawlessly without any conflicts with other signals from other content creators.  For Saxby & Farmer I do a fudge and use some older types of GWR signals to represent them.  There are a lot of gaps in signalling for Trainz especially in the pre-grouping era.  A small number of MR signals has only just become available and the same for the LSWR.  There's no LNWR signals at all and the same for a lot of the other pre-grouping railways.  Most of the good signals for Trainz have been made by just one maker who belongs to the creator group I belong to, but he's a busy chap with all the usual job and family things to attend to so he can't be expected to churn out signals for everything on request.

Most of pre-grouping companies tended to buy in their signalling kit from a fairly small number of firms (Saxby & Farmer, Stevens, Mackenzie & Holland etc), it was only later that the bigger companies like the Midland started designing their own...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That said, there are slight noticeable variations between products supplied by the same firm(s) to different companies. Stevens stuff in particular seems to have varied a little bit - An LSWR signal is quite noticeably different from an NBR one.

• Informative/Useful 1

So, with the signalbox behind me... I've started on the Petite Properties Station Road Semi kit. It's being clad with Slaters English Bond Plasticard, and this is my first experience with this material. It has been... interesting. On the one hand, I'm delighted by the neat brickwork, and the relief. On the other, trying to trim it neatly to fit the window opening is rather fiddly - the knife will quite happily follow horizontal mortar courses, but vertical ones seem more challenging.

However, for an evening's work, it is already looking a bit more refined than a Metcalfe kit!

House.png.407a63123429f8ada36bbdf525b56a86.png

• Like 14