Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Hi Michael,

I'll see about making them available when the laser cutter becomes available at more reasonable times - I had to stay until nearly midnight just to cut three of those, because at the moment the cutter can only be used after 8pm due to fume extraction issues. The chimney (once fully plumbed into the cutter) should mean I can get on to cutting during the day, but I don't have control over when that will be finished I'm afraid. I'm hopeful it'll be in the next few weeks.

I'm glad you like the Radial - the paints are the Phoenix Precision Drummond Royal Green and Drummond Purple-Brown and they look pretty good to my eye too. Note though that I'm going for Drummond livery, not the earlier, paler Adams pea green (as seen on number 488 in most of her post-preservation photos). I'm still pondering how to do the lining, and I think custom transfers are going to be the way to go.

• Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, tepedekiev@aol.com said:

The 'Radial' looks good too and the brown is exactly right for Adams livery.

I also did my kit built one in the same livery, and with the black & white lining

it should really look the part. Mine does

Michael

Drummond, not Adam

452906053_Barnstaple-Copy.jpg.dee5d325bc6b3dd21c414bc4d6aa5775.jpg

Linny, I like the Precision Paints colours; they match the Hamilton Ellis paintings well.  You are doing a fine job.  Have you found suitable lining transfers?

The Hornby M7 NRM edition looks less convincing to me, but the old Dapol/Hornby OO Terrier and the Dapol O Gauge Terrier seem to have a better shade.  

EDIT: Linny, our posts crossed. I have repainting a Hornby Radial to Drummond livery on my bucket list, so if a bespoke set of transfers needs to be commissioned, I'll happily go halves, even if I don't use them for some time!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Just time for a quick comparison photo before I run out of the front door:

20190710_102602.jpg.348defcfc3739b3f878db1b30157cab4.jpg

Drummond to the left, Adams to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with you...

[Edit: Looks like we've crossed posts again James. I'd happily go halfs on the cost of some transfers - I'll look into that and get back to you. I'm aware you'll still need some coaches to go with your Radial, too ;)]

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Thanks, Michael! I think they look even better painted and with roofs fitted! 

20190709_203703.jpg.30f93afe09f53bd85b4432c7f0c01c03.jpg

Work has started on the purple - brown lining on the Adams Radial too - enamel paint is making this necessarily slow going. 

20190709_203720.jpg.27f455d4f633c0fe7100d84ef047d368.jpg

Those coaches are excellent Linny and they really do look the part.  I'm sure once the extractor fan setup is completed and the laser cutter can be used more often those coaches are going to be very popular indeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

27 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Just time for a quick comparison photo before I run out of the front door:

20190710_102602.jpg.348defcfc3739b3f878db1b30157cab4.jpg

Drummond to the left, Adams to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with you...

[Edit: Looks like we've crossed posts again James. I'd happily go halfs on the cost of some transfers - I'll look into that and get back to you. I'm aware you'll still need some coaches to go with your Radial, too ;)]

I think the right hand model should represent Urie green (logically a Drummond loco cannot be in Adams green, though in preservation all things are possible!).  How well it does I cannot say as it's a bit modern for me.  I have read that Urie's green was "sage", which this could be, as it's a yellowy green.  The Adams is sometimes described as "pea" and perhaps is bluer?

Hornby's M7 Drummond livery is not bad (I am the happy owner of one), but I think your Radial and my T1 wear a better interpretation of the green. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I think the right hand model should represent Urie green (logically a Drummond loco cannot be in Adams green, though in preservation all things are possible!).  How well it does I cannot say as it's a bit modern for me.  I have read that Urie's green was "sage", which this could be, as it's a yellowh y green.  The Adams is sometimes described as "pea" and perhaps is bluer?

Right you are! In which case, the Urie livery is too modern for my period - 1910 is my official cut-off date, while Urie didn't become CME until 1912. Ah well, I'll have to find the box and stick the loco on eBay or similar.

Besides, given that the NRM painted a superheated T9 in Urie livery, as you say, in preservation anything is possible!

I'll have to compare my Hornby M7 with my repainted Radial when I get a chance. I really must get back onto the unsuperheated T9 project soon too. That'll add another Drummond-liveried loco to my collection - I think I'll go for no.281 as it kept the 6-wheeled tender the longest and didn't have cross-water tubes so could cover my entire time period.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3

A little more painting of the Adams Radial got done this evening, and I took the opportunity to pose it with the Hornby M7. I see what you mean about the very different colours, James. I believe the Hornby model is intended to represent number 245 as she is in the NRM at present, rather than necessarily being a historically accurate colour. The purple brown on the other hand, looks an almost exact match! 

20190710_212459.jpg.5d44c061008006bb9b26481f63d553d1.jpg

I also finished off a project which had been sitting in the bottom of a drawer for months - a repaint of a 700 into 1922 condition. I had originally thought this loco could be easily backdated but the amount of violence that has to be done to it to lower the boiler is more than I would be comfortable with. I therefore repainted as no. 316, the first to receive superheating, and this model will appear on eBay in the near future. 

20190710_211639.jpg.0eda7dee28e54662be771ab64a7c3e87.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

So I've just finished doing some maintenance on the Photon printer. I'd been getting nothing but failed prints, and it turned out I'd carelessly spilled some resin while removing a print, and that resin had got between the glass screen and the clear film at the bottom of the resin vat. This has then cured and stuck to the vat, and stopped the ultraviolet light being transmitted properly.

I must say, going at a glass screen with a knife blade is mildly terrifying, but it's apparently the recommended procedure to remove cured resin from the glass. I'm now doing a short test print (enough buffers from Killian's Jenny Lind to fit out my pre-Craven carriages) but hopefully this should solve some of my woes.

Tonight's a club night, so more painting of the Radial should happen. I may end up working on some custom transfer designs soon, or asking for advice if anyone's prepared to help out?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good luck, I hope you managed to get all of it off! 

I had a similar problem, except it was a PDMS vat (silicon-type gel above an acrylic base), and there was nothing I could do. I removed the gel and it's now a good container for holding bits and pieces. Now I've the same vat style as you, and I'm looking forward to getting it up and running when I finally get a spare hour.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been nearly two weeks since I posted in this thread, so I figured I ought to give an update.

A small amount of modelling has happened recently, but I've been rather busy alternately looking for work and fighting the black dog. The Adams Radial has boiler bands lined now, and I'm pondering the best way of producing lining transfers. At the moment, it looks like I'm going to try drawing them up and ordering them from a professional (any recommendations of good companies from whom to order gratefully received) as I can't print white from any printer I have access to, and I don't want to have to colour match the existing paintwork in a transfer.

20190711_213109.jpg

Another project that had stalled for a long while was the 5" gauge J71 - this has been partly painted but still needs some quite serious structural work to the far side of the cab and tank before painting can go any further, for which I intend to take it to the Hacklab, there to seek advice from more experienced metalworkers. Being rather larger than my usual models (photo below shows it with a 4mm scale R1 0-6-0t - the J71 weighs over 20kg), I can't, unfortunately, wrap it in tissue paper and pop it in a box in my rucksack, so a friend with a car is coming over to help me transport it.

20190716_112608.jpg

Back to 4mm scale, I've dug out some old MR wagon kits I built a while back, and these have now been lettered, giving me possibly rather more Midland wagons than I need, but can one really have too many wagons?

20190716_182508.jpg

In less modelling-related, happier news: The laser cutter is finally plumbed in to its new chimney, so hopefully I'll be able to start lasering shortly. I have a job interview on Thursday morning. Not quite the job I had in mind, but it may be good for my mental health to take a break from engineering for a bit. We'll see. I'm also heading down to Newcastle this weekend for the Railex NE exhibition, which should be interesting. Plenty of layouts I've never seen before, and hopefully some good traders.

Finally, it's my birthday today! Another orbit around the Sun, and I'm now 28. It's a beautiful day (read: far too hot for Scotland, and what's that glowing thing in the sky?).

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

All coming along well, Linny.

The Radial is going well. There is someone, IIRC, Ian McCormac of this parish said could do bespoke transfers in white.  I need such an one for WNR wagon transfers. 

Hope to see you on Saturday.  Anyone else coming to RailEx NE?

Let us vanquish black dogs together for a day!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

hi Linny

Happy Birthday for a start! I hope you have a good day.

Sorry to say no to the transfers. I did put some around the edge of the Marsh set printed in Tasmania but have just about finished the designs for the next lot and no space left!

Try Railtec for one offs.

I am still fiddling about with 3D designs and getting parts ready for Craven Goods and A.N.Other and some more carriages etc. More soon'ish.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

hi Linny

Happy Birthday for a start! I hope you have a good day.

Sorry to say no to the transfers. I did put some around the edge of the Marsh set printed in Tasmania but have just about finished the designs for the next lot and no space left!

Try Railtec for one offs.

I am still fiddling about with 3D designs and getting parts ready for Craven Goods and A.N.Other and some more carriages etc. More soon'ish.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, didn't you say you knew someone who could print white transfers?

Well, I gave in and bought myself a birthday present from the club tonight - quite rare, and a bargain too, given they're mostly working (although one of the needles is a bit "sticky"). I'm going to have a lot of fun making the purists wince as I adjust these and hook them up to an Arduino instead of using the included wiring harness. Unfortunately, one of the cases is rather discoloured (a white "bloom") - any thoughts on how I could remove this and have two nice, shiny block instruments? My first thought is to try a little T-cut on a cotton bud on an unobtrusive part and check it doesn't react with the plastic.

1319880874_BlockBells.jpg.52a3557041bca583472f51e98bdb8af6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, I gave in and bought myself a birthday present from the club tonight - quite rare, and a bargain too, given they're mostly working (although one of the needles is a bit "sticky"). I'm going to have a lot of fun making the purists wince as I adjust these and hook them up to an Arduino instead of using the included wiring harness. Unfortunately, one of the cases is rather discoloured (a white "bloom") - any thoughts on how I could remove this and have two nice, shiny block instruments? My first thought is to try a little T-cut on a cotton bud on an unobtrusive part and check it doesn't react with the plastic.

1319880874_BlockBells.jpg.52a3557041bca583472f51e98bdb8af6.jpg

You're a lucky person Linny. I've never even seen one of those is person. Didn't know there were any left outside of private collections. 

I'd never seen one either! Hence why I had to grab it. I'm planning to take the set into the 'lab this evening and hook it up to a 16V supply, see if the needles twitch appropriately and the bells ting and ping.

The long-term desire with Linton is a fairly complex system whereby the layout can either be operated using a mimic panel and traditional section switching, or allow the operator to operate a signalbox frame and instruments and let a computer do the actual driving. These instruments would interact with the fiddle yard to provide information to the signaller as to what to expect.

• Like 5