Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

i think the only pre-grouping carriages I have seen where the mouldings on the upper sides are light to match the panels are the GCR stock built for the London Extension. Brown lower panels, french grey upper panels. They rapidly moved to teak all over which suggests they didn't wear too well. People might think they look too modern as everybody else had mouldings picked out.

mslr carriages.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

To clarify, I was meaning to keep the mouldings blue, but pick out only the bolection mouldings (or even only the outer part of them) in white. Something along the lines of this (and yes, I realise these are all droplights, rather than bolections...)

lnwr_no112l.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

To clarify, I was meaning to keep the mouldings blue, but pick out only the bolection mouldings (or even only the outer part of them) in white. Something along the lines of this (and yes, I realise these are all droplights, rather than bolections...)

The white bits are actually vestigial panelling round the large windows. made more confusing by the superwidth "beading" above the windows. The window surrounds (bolection or droplight) on LNWR coaches were always wood colour, never white. You can see it more clearly in this view of the end of the Royal Diner

lnwr diner.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think when you paint your saloon it won't look as bad because the waist panels on your brake are painted white so I'm guessing the same will apply to the saloon, and for some reason some of the upper panelling has been painted brown on the saloon, which I'm thinking will also be white in your livery. You could also paint your ventilator hoods white perhaps

Go for it! However I have to say that GWR stuff is prone to look much darker than the cream we expect. Look at this concertina stock coach (Marc's Models kit). You can see your very thin white panel round the windows though.

marce80large.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

In which case, I wonder if I could get away with "vestigial panelling" in white around my windows, and leave the bolection mouldings in varnished wood. Might need a very fine paintbrush though...

If you can paint the bolections before inserting the glazing, do it by lightly loading the brush with paint, passing it through the opening and using the side of the brush to apply the paint.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Apologies for the lack of updates - I've been flat on my bed in a dark room with recurring migraines every few hours for the better part of this week.

I phoned the doctor's surgery about an appointment this morning ("Oh no, you can't book an appointment. We'll get a GP to call you for a 'phone consultation later today...") and waiting to hear back. 

Work began on the interior of the saloon on Sunday, but I feel this selfie taken during one of my short bouts of verticality sums up how I've been feeling since:
Selfie.jpg.a34667b64fd5ec34fd948771b86b6f56.jpg

Normal service will hopefully resume shortly.

• Friendly/supportive 11

Well, the migraines are continuing, albeit I've now got some meds that seem to take the edge off them if I'm lucky with the timing. I'm back at work (on the basis that I'm allowed to go lock myself in a toilet with the light switched off when I need to be in a dark, quiet room for up to half an hour), and spent most of this weekend packing and dismantling furniture for the move. 

This evening, though, I'm resting up, and watching Gary ( @BlueLightning)'s Youtube stream while doing a couple of small painting tasks - a rough weathering on one wagon, just to make the livery a little less stark (using acrylic washes and tissues, streaked vertically), which will do until I can do a better job after settling into the new flat.

20191215_221732.jpg

I've also painted a 1hp, biofuel-powered shunting locomotive, and am working on painting the dray (and cursing myself for assembling it before painting!) but that's not finished, so have a photo of the 'oss by itself:

20191215_204259.jpg

Other little jobs (finally getting some grotty grey on the roof slates of the signalbox, touching in some blemishes on the Adams radial's paintwork, grotting up the inside of another wagon...) have been getting done, alone with the measured consumption of a glass of my favourite mead (Afon Mêl heather, for them as wants to know). All in all, a rather civilised evening!

20191215_225649.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

We used to have a special room in the office for having a quiet sit-down in the dark - unfortunately it was next to a major corridor so wasn't actually that quiet... That bit of the building is unused now, so it's probably very quiet, but I've not been down to see if the comfy chair is still there...

• Like 1

That sounds like an excellent idea. Our toilets are off a low-traffic corridor, and have thick walls (old building) so are nice and quiet, and, having no windows, get pretty dark. The temperature seems to stay constantly comfortable all year too, which is a bonus!

I'm slowly getting back to normal again - the migraines seem (touch wood) to be becoming further spread, and I managed a whole night (albeit only five hours) without waking once last night. We'll see if I'm so lucky tonight. 

Exciting times at Linton Town station - three of the four cupboards which will support the boards for Linton were moved to the new flat this evening, although they haven't been re-assembled, and the boards are still at the club until there's somewhere for them to go. Still, the earthworks are beginning... And things are getting interesting.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Another night at club, this time spent weathering wagons. Thanks to Gary ( @kingfisher24 of this parish) with his airbrush, who rattled through half a dozen wagons in about half an hour! The only problem is that the weathered wagons now show up the clean ones, making them look very plasticky.

20191220_131854.jpg

It's amazing what a quick mist of brown-tinted dark grey can do! This is before finer weathering (picking out axleboxes with grease, a wash to get dirt into the grooves etc). I managed to get a lift back from club with the baseboards for Linton, too, so it's finally happened; the under-layout cupboards have been built, the baseboards have been moved to the new flat, and a day off work sick (don't ask for details. Really. Don't.) has led to a bored Linny stuck at home. As such...

Linton.jpg.188a8a1e1d0144cf47b43d1ef3ca7e92.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick mockup setting up two of the three scenic boards (I still have one cupboard to move, which will support the other end of board 3). What this has shown me is that the floor in this room isn't level! So I need to get some adjustable feet for the baseboards (and a spirit level!) before I go any further. It also shows me that I need to build a *lot* more houses. I suspect a terrace or two might enter existence! A pleasant surprise is that a 4-coach GSR train fits comfortably in the platforms, where I'd budgeted for three (based on the Bachmann 60' SECR birdcage stock. I know, I know, too modern, but *so* pretty!). In fact, four plus a van just about fits in the space of three birdcages. Just goes to show that 46' coaches let you fit so much more in! Guess I need to build more stock!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/12/2019 at 08:35, Skinnylinny said:

So I need to get some adjustable feet for the baseboards (and a spirit level!) before I go any further.

Hello Linny.

As an alternative to buying feet, you could try making some wedges out of wood, two per leg. Taping them in or out will raise or lower the leg. The only leg you don't need them for is the highest one. The pointy ends of each pair of  wedges should be pointed in the opposite direction, so the top and bottom of the wedge pair is level.

Alternatively, you could also try some thick cardboard under the offending legs.

Dana

• Like 1

Beer mats might be useful when the layout is intended to stay in one place, but I would eventually like to be able to exhibit Linton (if partly to upset rivet-counters!). I have found some adjustable feet, and will be getting them delivered to the new flat shortly. Another pleasant find while packing was a box with 9 yards of Peco bullhead flexitrack in - that'll make buying the track cheaper! 

Forgive me, father, for I have sinned... I have started on a post-grouping (and even post-nationalisation - some might even call it "modern image") project, as can be seen here: 

• Like 3