Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

On 25/03/2024 at 16:46, Skinnylinny said:

. They've enough to deal with now that I'm getting back into organ practice too (well, as best I can with a MIDI keyboard, and an old church organ pedalboard that I've managed to acquire and am planning to MIDI-ify...) but at least that I can do on headphones!

Hauptwerk or Grandorgue?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dana Ashdown said:

A real wooden case would be even better!

It would, although I lack the required woodworking skills, and no longer have access to the laser cutter since moving to Glasgow-ish. 

13 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Hauptwerk or Grandorgue?

GrandOrgue at the moment, as I don't have the cash to drop on a copy of GrandOrgue, and I'm sort of cautiously dipping my toe back in for as little spend as possible. The 61-key MIDI keyboard cost me £60, while the pedalboard has cost me the grand total of £1.04 on eBay and the price of a decent takeout dinner for a friend to drive it up to me! It will require a bank of microswitches, and the use of an Arduino which I already have, to MIDI-ify it.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I ought to start thinking about signals... As I've mentioned before, the history of Linton Town includes the company contracting out the supply of signalling equipment to Messrs. Saxby & Farmer. As such, I'd rather like to have split-post signals, although I'd prefer to have the spectacles mounted on the same spindles as the arms (similar to the NER designs), rather than lower down the post, which was S&F's more common modus operandi at the time. I've been having trouble getting any useful drawings of similar signals, too. I suspect that I may have to "bash" mine together from a mixture of MSE parts intended for S&F and NER signals, and Ian MacCormac's parts.

What I'll need on the visible part of the layout will be something like this: 

LintonTownSignals.png.4de9c662d3c9e3be9c62800095661b13.png

I'm not going to lie, I'm rather nervous about the bracket for numbers 16-19! While I'm a big fan of 3D printing in various situations, I think that metal kits will likely be rather more able to stand up to the rigours of operation. I have previously made some laser-cut signals out of MDF, card, and acetate, but I can't decide whether they look too chunky or not.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the layout boards are packed up, so I don't have any brilliant photos of them, but these are what I do have!

20201108_144216.jpg.5046f39a51048bc4157e7688010b5672.jpg20211216_164302.jpg.52c306f9a4d8e0dfcad06ec4968e70ae.jpg20230430_192706.jpg.fe358e1f4d0f15460e6d145ea5386074.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2