Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

I must resist the temptation, especially as I went to some amount of trouble procuring a Wide-Splasher example with a 6-Wheeled tender so that I can just about justify it on Blackstone West.

Incidentally I would recommend making sure that you have a Peter's  Spares Brass motor bracket on hand if owning one of these - You probably know that Mazak rot is a notorious issue with them and I would hate for you to see yours become unusable for months awaiting the spare part to come back into stock.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Edwardian said:

A great conversion. Fortunately, the limited TT length at Ilfracombe relieves me of the need to do likewise, so I shall simply sit back and enjoy yours. 

Didn't the LSWR use extension bars like other railways then?? There is a great picture of a brighton B4 on a small turntable with these in use in a Circular in the last few years.

Go wan! Go wan! Go wan!

Cheers Ian in Blackpool

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

Didn't the LSWR use extension bars like other railways then?? There is a great picture of a brighton B4 on a small turntable with these in use in a Circular in the last few years.

Go wan! Go wan! Go wan!

Cheers Ian in Blackpool

Apparently not attempted in this case, and they apparently never ran any 4-coupled tender types longer than jubilees and Steamrollers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Linny

Just read this  again now I can get on RMWeb again, just errors for a while??

Hope you are feeling or getting better, never asked before? A great looking smoke box and wing plate and door there!

I have GA drawings of T9 in the Wild Swan book if it helps drawing a new chimney to print.  Just shout out and I'll scan the page.

Cheers Ian in Blackpool 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Ian,

Thanks for asking, I'm mostly getting better. Back to work yesterday, and while I'm exhausted after it I'm getting there.

A GA showing the chimney (especially with dimensions!) would be very much appreciated, thank you. I'm having to work from either a low resolution drawing or a GA scan where the dimensions are illegible at the moment, and a chimney is one of those things, along with the smokebox door, that really defines the "face" of a loco.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well, I need to shrive and grovel; 20 Hail Stroudleys and a Billinton-edictus (ok, that one's a bit of a push).

I popped into Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh on my way to club tonight to pick up some paint for painting the lever frame in the signalbox on the club's in-progress layout. There she was, in the cabinet. A reminder that I had placed a pre-order back in January.

IMG_20190604_223147365.jpg

I know she's not perfect, but she's a big step forward from the old Dapol model, and she certainly captures the feel of a terrier in a way that the older Dapol/Hornby model never did. For a start, she's much more petite, and makes the older model look positively like a D1!

IMG_20190604_224306228.jpg

I may very well end up replacing her with a Rails model, when they come out, but for now, I have a terrier that looks much more the part than the older model, and finally something that looks in keeping with my Stroudley coaches. I'm a happy Linny.

• Like 8

Certainly it looks rather better in your photos than those I've previously seen. I'm still not convinced by Hornby's A1, but you are certainly right when you say how much of an improvement it is over the old one, and even (in many ways) over some kitbuilt ones. Certainly my Hornby A1x surpasses my old K's A1.

I don't think it's long enough unfortunately, and I don't think it's quite chunky enough. I've got a whitemetal kit for a D1 to build at some point though, although I'm not sure if I should finish it in IEG or Marsh umber.

Ave Marsh-ia, gratia plena...

Edited by Skinnylinny

44 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Very nice. You could actually probably modify the old one into a D1 if you tried hard enough. 

I highly doubt it - A D1 being an 0-4-2T complicates matters. An E1 might be more feasible and, indeed, a Hornby/Dapol Terrier can be used to make a HO scale E1, so I think they're a bit small to make a 00 one.

26 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

I don't think it's long enough unfortunately, and I don't think it's quite chunky enough. I've got a whitemetal kit for a D1 to build at some point though, although I'm not sure if I should finish it in IEG or Marsh umber.

Ave Marsh-ia, gratia plena...

I actually prefer Marsh Umber these days.

3 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I actually prefer Marsh Umber these days.

That's fair enough, but given my period is 1900-1910 and umber didn't start to come in until 1905, I suppose IEG or goods green would be most likely.

• Agree 1

I suspect your chosen period is an excuse to do both liveries.

i generally reckon that a loco gets a repaint at some point three years after its last, yet the last loco in IEG was, IIRC, 1914.  so, within a decade the transition is complete.

Perhaps locomotives entering service or known to have been overhauled 1905-10 would be in the new liveries and all else in the old?

In the case of the Terriers, we have a big clue in that, all bar two kept as works pilots, the whole remaining fleet was converted to motor-train working between 1905 and 1912.  The two pioneering locos, as 2-4-0s, were converted in 1905, but the rest were done in batches from 1906, all after the introduction of umber in October 1905.

It is reasonable to assume that in most cases the new livery was applied as and when the Terriers were converted.  In the case of 655 Stepney (duplicate listed in 1901), conversion was 1907, so, essentially, your purchase covers the first three-quarters of your chosen period (1901-1907).    

EDIT, I realise you said 1900-1910, not 1905-1910.

Edited by Edwardian
Corrections
  • Informative/Useful 3

That's really helpful information, thanks James. 

I believe for my period my LB&SCR trains will mostly be hauled by D1s and E1s (Stroudley Goods Green?), although more research still remains to be done, and I'm sure I can find an excuse for a Terrier to appear occasionally, even if I don't think any were shedded at Guildford in that time period.

• Like 3

I'll have plenty of other LSWR locos, with Linton being deep in LSWR territory. So far I have two M7s and am working on backdating a Kernow O2 and the above Hornby T9 for the fast LSWR peak time service to and from London.

• Like 3

On 5 June 2019 at 09:15, Edwardian said:

I suspect your chosen period is an excuse to do both liveries.

i generally reckon that a loco gets a repaint at some point three years after its last, yet the last loco in IEG was, IIRC, 1914.  so, within a decade the transition is complete.

Perhaps locomotives entering service or known to have been overhauled 1905-10 would be in the new liveries and all else in the old?

It is reasonable to assume that in most cases the new livery was applied as and when the Terriers were converted.  In the case of 655 Stepney (duplicate listed in 1901), conversion was 1907, so, essentially, your purchase covers the first three-quarters of your chosen period (1901-1907).    

EDIT, I realise you said 1900-1910, not 1905-1910.

In fact, the last LBSC loco to retain Stroudley IEG and its name was E5 Tillington, which finally succumbed in 1917. Another E5 Middleton lasted until 1914, and E4 Kingswood to 1913. A fair number lasted until 1912.

There is, somewhere, a contemporary diary that notes most of the livery change dates up to around 1910, but I haven't currently got access to it.

• Informative/Useful 4

It's been another busy week, so not much modelling has been getting done.

I've got a completed and primed Stroudley full brake (still tweaking the model file but it seems to have come out ok):

IMG_20190527_203514609.jpg.8358dae9c00a006b5e20f779a9beabbe.jpg

I've been working on parts for another LSWR coach (a 42ft Third, to be supplemented with a matching brake third later) but having trouble printing carriages. I've finally got the hang of supports to stop the solebars bending, but I'm finding my carriage ends are coming out chevron-shaped rather than vertical around the end windows. I suspect this has something to do with film tension and/or the location of the print on the print bed, combined with the necessary thin-ness of the window columns, but I'll keep working at it.

187282298_IMG_20190610_2034087942.jpg.b619ae4071b2cd1b4e0d6c832b5f50ef.jpg291656463_IMG_20190610_2034228362.jpg.ed9a56958f6da8fa6e018bcf20924295.jpg

I'm also heading down south tonight on the Caledonian Sleeper with my partner, for the Road and Rail event at the Bluebell Railway. Hoping to meet up with a couple of other Pre-Grouping-ites, and looking forward to seeing the H class for the first time since I was *this* big!

537092049_IMG_20190610_1854229602.jpg.9bdd0ffa26fc0603b6dc311c0a0b596a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well, that was (mostly!) a really lovely weekend away with my partner on the Bluebell for their Road and Rail event. Despite getting an email on the day of travel saying our Caledonian Sleeper service had been cancelled (due to wheel flats after an emergency brake application the previous Tuesday(!)), we managed to get an LNER train down to London on the Friday night, stayed in a hotel there and then hopped on a train down to East Grinstead in the morning.

At the Bluebell, Isha (my partner) and I met up with Gary (BlueLightning) and Alex (AVS1998), and we went for a wander around the road engines and various demonstrations (including road-building and timber sawing). Isha and I made it all the way down from Edinburgh, and the very first road engine I saw was marked up as having come from Leith!

IMG_20190615_112532951_HDR.jpg

Several other road vehicles were to be seen driving around, including steam lorries making coal deliveries as well as the aforementioned sawing demonstration.

IMG_20190615_112039032_HDR.jpg

For me, though, I was particularly excited by the chance to see the H class, as recently repainted in full Wainwright livery. Even better, we got to ride behind it in a period coach (LSWR brake third 1520), although the "vintage train" was formed of the LSWR brake, an SECR hundred-seater and a Stroudley bogie first (both sadly in lined Southern livery). I can't help but feel that even though this particular one is slightly late for my time period (1520 was built in 1910 to a 1904 design) a model might end up being made...

IMG_20190616_132543442.jpg

Other locomotives around on the day were the Q class, hauling a demonstration goods train, the S15 on a set of Bulleid coaches, and the Standard 5 on Mk1s - a real pleasure to see each locomotive on period-appropriate coaches!

IMG_20190615_110540334_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190615_100847526.jpg

On the Sunday, Isha and I went for a wander around the museum at Sheffield Park, and discovered that the door to Withyham signal box is *exactly* the right width for her wheelchair to pass through (with maybe a quarter inch extra clearance!). We were delighted at the wheelchair accessibility at the Bluebell - every coaching set had wheelchair ramps, with the exception of the Mk1 stock set which had been modified with either-side hydraulic wheelchair lifts! Level access was available for crossing between platforms by barrow crossings, the new Steamworks museum had level access throughout (and even the replica Stepney cab was big enough to get the wheelchair into and turn around with ease! We didn't actually manage to find any exhibits (with the exception of the footbridges) which weren't accessible.

I had also taken two model locos down in the hope of taking some photographs with their rather larger brothers. Sisters? ...Siblings. First of all, the Hornby H class, also in full Wainwright livery:

IMG_20190616_155927973_HDR.jpg

and seen here perched on the sandbox filler, behind the lamp iron, looking *really* tiny:

IMG_20190616_155946346_HDR.jpg

I also took along the new Hornby Stepney as shown here.

IMG_20190616_153452238.jpg

I thought of Edwardian while I was here, so I double-checked, and I can confirm, there is definitely a lip at the top of the tank sides!

IMG_20190616_153340168.jpg

Despite the even worse travel disruption on the way back up (the Sleeper back to Edinburgh was cancelled too! But the replacement coach service wasn't able to take Isha's wheelchair... we managed, in the end, but got back into Edinburgh at 3:45am on Monday, hence why I didn't write this up yesterday. It's a sad state of affairs when a preserved railway is better able to provide for restricted mobility than the national rail network.

Perhaps, as pre-grouping modellers, we should, rather than looking to the future, be looking to the past...

LSWR_Door.png.1eeef4a420cecfb66d0dd730658cd6d3.png

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 11