Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Is there any particular reason why the bridge and station building have to be in the middle of the platforms?  Would it not look better visually if it was at the far end where it would form a visual 'stop' against the backscene?  That would ease all the issues around access to the goods facilities and also allow the possibility of it becoming a through station in the future.

Jim

The bridge across the platforms is there partly to re-inforce the "boxed-in" and cramped feel of the station, keeping disruption to the existing town to a minimum. For a while, I was considering having a raised baseboard edge at the front to show what would have been a retaining wall there, but this would have restricted the view too much. The track plan is very carefully measured and barely fits - I don't think I could fit a station building at the end except in about 2cm-low-relief.

Sadly there's no chance of this becoming a through station in the foreseeable future, as the layout fits along one wall of my bedroom (shared student flat), and where the bufferstops are is right against an external (first-floor) wall. The idea of the station building on the bridge was taken from Denmark Hill, with its beautiful Italianate brick building on huge steel girders over the tracks. Granted, Denmark Hill was a through station, but still... Plus, in this case, I'm invoking Rule 1 again (It's my train set)  :locomotive:

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Psst... Linny, Gary...

If yer likes, I'll knock up some goods green stuff for the E4... I've got a BR one here that I picked up for £37 at Warley... djyer think I should backdaye' it instead of mixin' it in with my BR Stock?

Tarrah,

Semy... 

PSst, I'll e'en add 'mproved Ingine green in for yer... 

• Like 2

Ooooh, tempting, although possibly a little late for me! All I have left to do to this side is the splasher and steps (which I might cheat and simplify)! If you're going to do it in Goods Green, make sure to do two variants - plain black, and red-black-red lining!

post-793-0-26676800-1517210530_thumb.jpg

It's my upcoming D1 that I'm more worried about the lining for though... (request: if you do produce IEG lining for the Wills/South Eastern Finecast D1, can you include an un-named one please, as I have some lovely gold-leaf transfers for the names I have in mind for mine. :) I'm going to cheat, one side will be no. 6 "Wimbledon", (closest station to where I grew up to have a loco named after it, I don't think "Raynes Park" had a loco) while the other side will be 231 Horsham (where my parents moved shortly before my heading off to university).

• Like 1

D1... I intend to do my own 3D model, so if you don't mind me basing the artwork on my model (Can't afford a Wills/SEF one!) I will try and get it done. The IEG will most likely be based on Pete Kirtley's artwork, as sent by him to me, and posted on his 'Saltdean' topic, I believe. I will offer both lining colours on the goods green.

I can do un-named, Wimbledon and Horsham. My first one will be 'Rudgwick', and the second one probably 'Slinfold', 'Cranleigh', 'Baynards', 'Barnham' or 'Worthing'.

Your conversion makes me almost tempted to backdate that BR E4. I think I'll produce the transfers/overlays first, then do the conversion! Did any E4's get IEG?

E. Missenden

Ooooh, tempting, although possibly a little late for me! All I have left to do to this side is the splasher and steps (which I might cheat and simplify)! If you're going to do it in Goods Green, make sure to do two variants - plain black, and red-black-red lining!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180128_182350518.jpg

It's my upcoming D1 that I'm more worried about the lining for though... (request: if you do produce IEG lining for the Wills/South Eastern Finecast D1, can you include an un-named one please, as I have some lovely gold-leaf transfers for the names I have in mind for mine. :) I'm going to cheat, one side will be no. 6 "Wimbledon", (closest station to where I grew up to have a loco named after it, I don't think "Raynes Park" had a loco) while the other side will be 231 Horsham (where my parents moved shortly before my heading off to university).

Excellent. Well done on this.

D1... I intend to do my own 3D model, so if you don't mind me basing the artwork on my model (Can't afford a Wills/SEF one!) I will try and get it done. The IEG will most likely be based on Pete Kirtley's artwork, as sent by him to me, and posted on his 'Saltdean' topic, I believe. I will offer both lining colours on the goods green.

I can do un-named, Wimbledon and Horsham. My first one will be 'Rudgwick', and the second one probably 'Slinfold', 'Cranleigh', 'Baynards', 'Barnham' or 'Worthing'.

Your conversion makes me almost tempted to backdate that BR E4. I think I'll produce the transfers/overlays first, then do the conversion! Did any E4's get IEG?

E. Missenden

The Southern E-Group suggest here that all the E4s after no. 487 "Fishergate" were outshopped in IEG, numbers 463-487 having originally been painted in Goods Green. Note that in this picture,518 "Porchester" has its safety valves in front of the cab, rather than Salter types on the dome.

Portchester.jpg

So I've been having a ponder, and decided I ought to work out a list of the various rolling stock I have for this layout, have on order, and still need to build. So far I have:

Locos:
GSR
Modified Wainwright C Class "Havelock Vetinari"
0-6-0 side tank "Sir Samuel Vimes"
0-6-0 heavy tank (in progress) ("Gaspode"?)
Railmotor (possible kitbash?)

LB&SCR
A1 41 "Piccadilly" (Improved Engine Green)
E4 469 "Beachy Head" (backdated Bachmann model) (Stroudley Goods Green)
D1 6/231 "Wimbledon"/"Horsham" (Improved Engine Green)

LSWR
M7 245 sage green
M7 252 pea green
700 class (awaiting backdating, to be dark green)

SE&CR
H class 308 (Hornby)
P class (Dean Sidings resin kit - in progress)
P class (Hattons, forthcoming)
R1 (Hornby Dublo, repainted)

Rolling stock (passenger):
GSR
6-wheel coaches (repainted Bachmann "Emily" coaches)
4 x bogie coaches (repainted, some modified, Triang clerestories)
4-wheel full brake

LB&SCR
3 x Stroudley coaches (modified, repainted Bachmann Thomas coaches, more to be acquired)

LSWR
Ratio GWR 4-wheel and Midland bogie brake coach (modified)
Gramodels 42' coaches (brake 3rd, 3rd, tri-composite) (forthcoming)

SE&CR
Bachmann birdcage set
LCDR 4-wheelers (3d printed kits)?

So, my thoughts at the moment are that it would be nice to have a medium-large sized tank loco for the GSR. Something a little larger than Sir Samuel Vimes, which could lug a decent load up and down the main line. This will likely be a project as part of my learning Autodesk Fusion 360 (CAD software) and how to use the CNC milling machine at the Hackspace I'm a member of (Edinburgh Hacklab). My thoughts at the moment are either another 0-6-2t or an 0-4-4t. 

The SE&CR coaches I already have are the Bachmann birdcages, although I'm aware they're out of the time period here. I am considering either some 3D printed kits from Shapeways of LCDR 4-wheelers (although only a 3rd and a brake 3rd are available, and they would be a long, uncomfortable ride from ex-LC&DR metals!) or trying to find some kits for short bogie coaches. Advice here very much welcomed!
My H class is very modern, with no. 308 entering service in June 1906 but my R1 is really too modern, as the ex-SER R classes didn't start being rebuilt into R1s until 1910! Ditto the P class, of which the first examples appeared in 1909. I definitely need to find some much earlier LC&DR or SER locomotives to fill in a gap here. Perhaps I should build a 1910-1915 SE&CR layout for this stock instead...

Freight stock I haven't added, as I'm currently working my way through a large pile of kits for open wagons (mineral and merchandise) from various local-ish private owners and a more spread out mix of pre-grouping companies and a (very few) vans covered wagons. I've got my eye on a horsebox kit or two, and I'll need a few carriage trucks. There's one slatted-side milk van, but I'll want to come up with a design for a GSR one. Would containers for bulk shipment have made any sort of appearance at this point? I'd imagine something like a furniture moving company. 

Any thoughts on types of wagons that would be usefully typical? I've got some kits for the ubiquitous MR dia. 299 5-plank opens on the way, but I don't know if I've missed anything obvious. 
Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Why not go completely mad with the goods tank engine, and have an 0-8-0T?

You could either copy 'Hecate' from the KESR, if you wanted a modern loco, or assume that the GSR bought the two that the GNR had built for cross-London freights via Snow Hill c1867, and found to be far too big. They were sent 'oop north in disgrace, then scrapped c1880, I think.

• Like 1

I sense a Terry Pratchett fan here. Welcome to the fold

I have some LCDR locos for disposal but they are EM gauge

Indeed, and plenty of excellent names for locomotives! There is already one wagon lettered up for the Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway...

Ah, the regular question of the 00 modeller presented with pretty EM gauge models: Is the chassis built properly to EM, or to 00 with spacers on the axles...?

• Like 1

Indeed, and plenty of excellent names for locomotives! There is already one wagon lettered up for the Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway...

Ah, the regular question of the 00 modeller presented with pretty EM gauge models: Is the chassis built properly to EM, or to 00 with spacers on the axles...?

Proper EM gauge chassis as are all the SECR locos to be disposed of

Any chance of a picture of the Ankh-Morpork and Sto Plains Hygienic Railway wagon please?

Thinking about the services that you envisage, which seem to amount to a projection of the LBSCR trains onward from Guildford, some SECR through services, and whatever the GSR itself operates, have you had a bash at a working timetable?

I ask, because I'm beginning to wonder, given that everything has to reverse, whether your station has the capacity to cope. A lot will depend on whether you have engines to turn, or whether the GSR is happy with bunker/tender first (the LBSCR tried really hard not to), and whether GSR locos are trusted to pull other railways' carriages.

Reversing could be carried out very quickly by railways well-rehearsed in it, but a terminating train from Horsham will present a serious nuisance, blocking-up the platforms.

• Like 2

Michael, can you say where you are listing the SECR and LCDR locos? I would love to own some, and EM may be a possibility I consider in the future.

sem34090

I have disposed of all my SECR/LCDR coaches  and the locos are to follow.

They are the result of many years modelling. SECR are in Wainwright livers, and naturally LCDR are in appropriate livery.

Most have spent the ir lives in showcases,so need running in, and I believe one or two have 'glitches'

The coaches were placed on Ebay but the locos have not been listed yet.

I can create a list of locos if interested

• Like 1

Thinking about the services that you envisage, which seem to amount to a projection of the LBSCR trains onward from Guildford, some SECR through services, and whatever the GSR itself operates, have you had a bash at a working timetable?

I ask, because I'm beginning to wonder, given that everything has to reverse, whether your station has the capacity to cope. A lot will depend on whether you have engines to turn, or whether the GSR is happy with bunker/tender first (the LBSCR tried really hard not to), and whether GSR locos are trusted to pull other railways' carriages.

Reversing could be carried out very quickly by railways well-rehearsed in it, but a terminating train from Horsham will present a serious nuisance, blocking-up the platforms.

A very good point - I'll probably try and sit down to try to work out a working timetable over the weekend. I envisage most services being GSR, with only a select few of the LBSCR trains continuing through Guildford to Linton (maybe peak only?). SE&CR services would likely be limited to one boat train each way a day, and possibly one train each way a day to London in the peak time. Linton being a terminus off the "main line" means that through services wouldn't run through it.

I've built in somewhat of a bottleneck in the single-track entrance tunnel (assumed due to cost-cutting during construction, though might yet decide to double-track that), although that does mean that running around can occur while the single-line section is occupied by a departing train. The morning will quite likely take a fair bit of pre-planning and smart reversing.

I didn't realise the LBSCR tried to avoid running bunker-first. That's a bit of a pain. I am assuming that the GSR is happy enough with tank engines running both ways, though hadn't really thought about the tender loco, I must admit. I may have to convince the board to install a turntable just off-scene after all. Either that or lose the coal-merchant's siding at the fiddleyard end for a turntable, if I can squeeze it in.

• Like 1

A very good point - I'll probably try and sit down to try to work out a working timetable over the weekend. I envisage most services being GSR, with only a select few of the LBSCR trains continuing through Guildford to Linton (maybe peak only?). SE&CR services would likely be limited to one boat train each way a day, and possibly one train each way a day to London in the peak time. Linton being a terminus off the "main line" means that through services wouldn't run through it.

I've built in somewhat of a bottleneck in the single-track entrance tunnel (assumed due to cost-cutting during construction, though might yet decide to double-track that), although that does mean that running around can occur while the single-line section is occupied by a departing train. The morning will quite likely take a fair bit of pre-planning and smart reversing.

I didn't realise the LBSCR tried to avoid running bunker-first. That's a bit of a pain. I am assuming that the GSR is happy enough with tank engines running both ways, though hadn't really thought about the tender loco, I must admit. I may have to convince the board to install a turntable just off-scene after all. Either that or lose the coal-merchant's siding at the fiddleyard end for a turntable, if I can squeeze it in.

I repeat my suggestion that you include a notional loco servicing area with turntable off scene.

Locos reverse to the fiddleyard, are turned, e.g. by loco cassette/lift, and then back back into the station. 

From what I can discern, the LBSCR practice was to have the loco boiler-first wherever practicable.

Clearly, on little sprigs like Hayling, The Dyke, and Kemp Town they didn't turn, the ELL and SLL didn't turn, motor trains didn't, and it didn't apply to local goods trains in the London area, which undertook multiple reverses (van on each end).

But, photos of locos running bunker or tender first away from these exceptions seem to be pretty rare, and most terminal points had turntables.

Mr Holliday knows everything and more about the Brighton, so might be able to say what their rules said about it.

And, haven't you got a triangular Junction that engines could be sent round, further clogging-up the timetable?

• Like 1

I repeat my suggestion that you include a notional loco servicing area with turntable off scene.

Locos reverse to the fiddleyard, are turned, e.g. by loco cassette/lift, and then back back into the station.

I think that's probably the best plan - assuming the L&BR and the G&SR amalgamated their facilities into one shed at Linton with a small turntable. How would they feel about other companies' engines using the turntable?

From what I can discern, the LBSCR practice was to have the loco boiler-first wherever practicable.

Clearly, on little sprigs like Hayling, The Dyke, and Kemp Town they didn't turn, the ELL and SLL didn't turn, motor trains didn't, and it didn't apply to local goods trains in the London area, which undertook multiple reverses (van on each end).

But, photos of locos running bunker or tender first away from these exceptions seem to be pretty rare, and most terminal points had turntables.

Mr Holliday knows everything and more about the Brighton, so might be able to say what their rules said about it.

And, haven't you got a triangular Junction that engines could be sent round, further clogging-up the timetable?

I wonder if the prevalence of photos of locos running chimney-first might have something to do with the photographers rather than the railway? Even with preserved railways these days there is a marked preference for photos of engines running "the right way around".

As you say, there *is* a triangular junction, a mile or two away, and just think what a mess a points failure could cause if using that for running around and turning a loco. Involving two or possibly three signalmen to just turn a loco? I think I'll end up sticking with Edwardian's suggestion of a loco depot off-site scene. The housewives of Linton are going to love me for the effect on their washing lines!

• Like 1

I think that's probably the best plan - assuming the L&BR and the G&SR amalgamated their facilities into one shed at Linton with a small turntable. How would they feel about other companies' engines using the turntable?

I wonder if the prevalence of photos of locos running chimney-first might have something to do with the photographers rather than the railway? Even with preserved railways these days there is a marked preference for photos of engines running "the right way around".

As you say, there *is* a triangular junction, a mile or two away, and just think what a mess a points failure could cause if using that for running around and turning a loco. Involving two or possibly three signalmen to just turn a loco? I think I'll end up sticking with Edwardian's suggestion of a loco depot off-site scene. The housewives of Linton are going to love me for the effect on their washing lines!

I should think the GSR would let any visiting locos use their TT.  I hadn't thought of the point as, at Castle Aching, there is no choice in the matter!

As to locos always pictured running chimney first, have you ever wondered where C Reginald Dalby turned Thomas?

post-25673-0-24042000-1517408813_thumb.png

• Like 1

Look out! There are trucks about!

Yesterday evening was mostly spent applying pressfix transfers to wagon kits... I will admit they tend to give a better finish on a per-letter basis, with no carrier film visible, but I'm still struggling to get text alignment as good as I can get with waterslide transfers. Where a whole number comes as a pressfix, this is fine, but individual digits to make up a wagon number are a pain!

post-793-0-75632600-1517491174_thumb.jpg post-793-0-75800400-1517491623_thumb.jpg

A Slater's MR 10 ton van and a Ratio LNWR 10 ton coal wagon (helpfully labelled as such!), both done with pressfix transfers. The Slater's van had the running numbers as individual digits, which were annoying to line up. The running numbers on the end of the Ratio open came as one piece, but were fiddly to fit between the end stanchions.

By way of comparison, here is a private owner wagon (Cambrian kit) which I lettered up with waterslide transfers (individual letters), with different fictitious owners on each side for variety. One side is a friend who is good at their metalwork, the other is named after my two flatmates who are rather a fan of a nice pint! Any private-owner wagons I build for this layout are likely to have this dodge applied as a way of increasing the fleet size without increasing the amount of stock I need to carry. Besides, if you can only see one side at a time...

post-793-0-77354500-1517491912_thumb.jpg post-793-0-15425100-1517491979_thumb.jpg

There has also been a little experimentation going on with producing my own wagon kits. This slatted milk van is copied from the illustrations of the Thomas the Tank Engine books, and readers may recognise it as the one Dairy the Diesel Railcar refused to pull! The model is made from a laser-cut card bodyshell, using a Dapol RTR wooden-framed chassis. I really ought to add some hinges to this from either paper or etched brass, and maybe some platework to the wooden strapping, but I think it has a bit of a crude charm as it is. I might make up another one and detail it up properly.

post-793-0-62358900-1517492166_thumb.jpg 

I've been using this layout as a chance to experiment with various types of kits that I hadn't had a chance to play around with - there are a few resin ones, an etched brass brake van (nearly finished now!) and several whitemetal models in various stages of completion. Below is a resin Caledonian mineral wagon (from the Caledonian Railway Society) and two LBSCR "Open A" wagons in plastic - one from a Cambrian kit, built as intended, the other kitbashed a little to represent it in an earlier form with the tarpaulin chain.

post-793-0-01327600-1517492741_thumb.jpg post-793-0-00893800-1517492846_thumb.jpg

Finally, bringing up the rear, as appropriate, is a GSR brake van. Looking at its design, this looks to be a fairly recent build, with inside framing. In model form, it is a fairly crude bashing-about of a Mainline 20T NE brake van, the end veranda being made by slicing one end wall in half and gluing it to the sides of the other end! I may re-visit this design later, or draw up a new brake-van design for another laser-cut kit, but for now, this at least provides guard's accommodation for a grand total cost of £3 of parts from a second-hand stall at an exhibition.

post-793-0-61803200-1517493024_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the image-heavy post, but given that not much can happen by way of actually building the layout until I can get some help with building baseboards, I thought I'd show off a small selection of my rolling stock.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 5

Look out! There are trucks about!

Yesterday evening was mostly spent applying pressfix transfers to wagon kits... I will admit they tend to give a better finish on a per-letter basis, with no carrier film visible, but I'm still struggling to get text alignment as good as I can get with waterslide transfers. Where a whole number comes as a pressfix, this is fine, but individual digits to make up a wagon number are a pain!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_090542710.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_091411361.jpg

A Slater's MR 10 ton van and a Ratio LNWR 10 ton coal wagon (helpfully labelled as such!), both done with pressfix transfers. The Slater's van had the running numbers as individual digits, which were annoying to line up. The running numbers on the end of the Ratio open came as one piece, but were fiddly to fit between the end stanchions.

By way of comparison, here is a private owner wagon (Cambrian kit) which I lettered up with waterslide transfers (individual letters), with different fictitious owners on each side for variety. One side is a friend who is good at their metalwork, the other is named after my two flatmates who are rather a fan of a nice pint! Any private-owner wagons I build for this layout are likely to have this dodge applied as a way of increasing the fleet size without increasing the amount of stock I need to carry. Besides, if you can only see one side at a time...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_091033175.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_091049914.jpg

There has also been a little experimentation going on with producing my own wagon kits. This slatted milk van is copied from the illustrations of the Thomas the Tank Engine books, and readers may recognise it as the one Dairy the Diesel Railcar refused to pull! The model is made from a laser-cut card bodyshell, using a Dapol RTR wooden-framed chassis. I really ought to add some hinges to this from either paper or etched brass, and maybe some platework to the wooden strapping, but I think it has a bit of a crude charm as it is. I might make up another one and detail it up properly.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_090914766.jpg 

I've been using this layout as a chance to experiment with various types of kits that I hadn't had a chance to play around with - there are a few resin ones, an etched brass brake van (nearly finished now!) and several whitemetal models in various stages of completion. Below is a resin Caledonian mineral wagon (from the Caledonian Railway Society) and two LBSCR "Open A" wagons in plastic - one from a Cambrian kit, built as intended, the other kitbashed a little to represent it in an earlier form with the tarpaulin chain.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_091436627.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_090801311.jpg

Finally, bringing up the rear, as appropriate, is a GSR brake van. Looking at its design, this looks to be a fairly recent build, with inside framing. In model form, it is a fairly crude bashing-about of a Mainline 20T NE brake van, the end veranda being made by slicing one end wall in half and gluing it to the sides of the other end! I may re-visit this design later, or draw up a new brake-van design for another laser-cut kit, but for now, this at least provides guard's accommodation for a grand total cost of £3 of parts from a second-hand stall at an exhibition.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180201_093333859.jpg

Apologies for the image-heavy post, but given that not much can happen by way of actually building the layout until I can get some help with building baseboards, I thought I'd show off a small selection of my rolling stock.

Brilliant stuff. 

Do not apologise for this visual feast on my account.  Really like what you have done, and you have done it very well.

Very nicely built kits, lovely freelance POs and a really great job back-dating the open A.

I am also most impressed by your laser-cut kit. We could do with a milk van like that for the West Norfolk! 

As to your brake van bash, it certainly looks the part I took a similar path, with an old Airfix/Dapol BR brake van kit, but the next one will be an older outside-framed van of a similar design ....  

post-25673-0-45482900-1517495365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2