Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

There's also a lot of very useful information about construction in my "Big Book of LBSCR Coaches" (LB&SCR Carriages, Volume 1: Four & Six Wheeled Ordinary Passenger Stock), as well as the drawings from which I worked to produce these. Apparently I'm getting a name up here in Scotland - I walked past Douglas Blades' bookstall (a regular fixture at Scottish model railway exhibitions) to be greeted with "Oh, Mr Linehan (not quite, but close enough!), I've just the book for you!" followed by Mr Blades returning, dusty but triumphant, with volumes 1 and 2 of this excellent series.

• Like 3

Linny,

Please beg me pardon, but may I make use of your Stroudley coach artwork for 3D Printing purposes in order to try out a concept suggested to me by James (Edwardian - that James!)?

Apologies,

E. Missenden

3D printing? Hmmmm, you're not going to try to 3D print the coach sides with panelling, are you? :P I'm not quite happy with the artwork yet but I could punt you over a copy of the file probably tomorrow. You work in Sketchup, is that correct?

This could be an interesting comparison actually... I'm planning on laser-cutting bits, I believe BlueLightning wants the sides to have a go with a Silhouette cutter, and if you want to 3D print them... very interesting, and not a scalpel in sight!

• Like 3

You read my mind... long distance telepathy?

Sketchup it is indeed!

I was thinking that it would be an interesting comparison, especially if I follow the intriguing method I picked up from James.

• Like 1

Well, I have cut out and glued together the sides and ends for three-and-a-half of the four diagrams I wanted to do as a starting lot.

post-793-0-76463600-1520891152_thumb.jpg

The three non-guard's coach sides went together beautifully, and this evening I have finished drawing up what I hope will be the design for the ducket end of the brake third. While cutting out the bodies (which I was expecting to mount on etched W irons, I had a bit of spare card left over on one sheet... so I idly wondered if a card chassis could be made. Ten minutes later, this came off the cutter:

post-793-0-72145000-1520890927_thumb.jpg

A little bit of rough and ready track testing ensued, and it turns out that 1mm card is rigid enough to make a chassis for these coaches. This evening has been spent drawing up such a chassis, and I'm hoping to cut out the parts tomorrow evening, as I'll be passing the Hacklab (the location of the laser cutter) and will try to quickly cut one or two chassis' worth of bits to build at the club meeting.

Meanwhile, here's a glimpse of my desk (and a sneak-peak of the glazed brake-end!

post-793-0-37922000-1520891444_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

So the card chassis for the coach kits proper has been drawn up, cut, and looks rather good - I even managed to laser cut some springs! The axleboxes are slightly oversize, but I won't tell if you don't... It's also very free-running, being designed to incorporate pinpoint bearings, and has been designed such that even I can't build a non-square chassis from it.

post-793-0-52810200-1521216096_thumb.jpg

I also got some lining transfers in the post - not LB&SCR lining (which I can't find anywhere!) but BR Express Blue lining (white/black/white). A few moments' work with a red Sharpie permanent marker turned this into red/black/white, although this is still a little overscale for LB&SCR lining - I might want to experiment with N-scale lining transfers - but I have started applying the lining transfers to the H0 scale Stroudley G class I showed a few pages back, reasoning that given its age, this model probably would have had overscale lining if it had ever been finished. This has now been repainted into the proper colour. After an evening at the club last night, among other jobs, I got this far with the lining:

post-793-0-67398000-1521216078_thumb.jpg

Finally, I've managed to get a decent portrait of GSR no. 42 Havelock Vetinari, showing off the lining which I'm very pleased with, and capturing the livery colour rather better than the previous photos:

post-793-0-29451700-1521216191_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The tumblehome I'm still working on, but will post an update shortly on that. I've had to get some more supplies in but I'll be looking at making these bits up into sellable kits in the near future. They won't include wheels, bearings, glazing, handrails, buffers or lamp detail (but I will include details of where I got mine from) but the kits themselves will require nothing more than PVA glue (and possibly a scalpel) to assemble, plus whatever method I use to form the tumblehome.

I'll still need to work out pricing too, but I suspect it'll come in at less than a tenner a coach.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

The tumblehome I'm still working on, but will post an update shortly on that. I've had to get some more supplies in but I'll be looking at making these bits up into sellable kits in the near future. They won't include wheels, bearings, glazing, handrails, buffers or lamp detail (but I will include details of where I got mine from) but the kits themselves will require nothing more than PVA glue (and possibly a scalpel) to assemble, plus whatever method I use to form the tumblehome.

I'll still need to work out pricing too, but I suspect it'll come in at less than a tenner a coach.

I am a willing customer.  I have some Ks, but they don't run well and they're monstrous heavy.  These would be very welcome.

So the card chassis for the coach kits proper has been drawn up, cut, and looks rather good - I even managed to laser cut some springs! The axleboxes are slightly oversize, but I won't tell if you don't... It's also very free-running, being designed to incorporate pinpoint bearings, and has been designed such that even I can't build a non-square chassis from it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180313_195954550.jpg

I also got some lining transfers in the post - not LB&SCR lining (which I can't find anywhere!) but BR Express Blue lining (white/black/white). A few moments' work with a red Sharpie permanent marker turned this into red/black/white, although this is still a little overscale for LB&SCR lining - I might want to experiment with N-scale lining transfers - but I have started applying the lining transfers to the H0 scale Stroudley G class I showed a few pages back, reasoning that given its age, this model probably would have had overscale lining if it had ever been finished. This has now been repainted into the proper colour. After an evening at the club last night, among other jobs, I got this far with the lining:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180315_213249236.jpg

Finally, I've managed to get a decent portrait of GSR no. 42 Havelock Vetinari, showing off the lining which I'm very pleased with, and capturing the livery colour rather better than the previous photos:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180311_013749211.jpg

This is all bl00dy good!

Very nice track, and nicely weathered, too.

Goodness, guess I'd better get on to finish the rooves and bufferbeams, and finish building one of these!

Thanks for the comment on the track - the first two photos are taken on an under-construction club layout, using SMP 00 track, while the bottom one is on my personal photo plank, which actually has a length of P4 track nicked from the club bits box, which I didn't realise was P4 until it was laid!

• Like 2

Update on the tumblehome situation: I've found that, once assembled and primed (and left a few days for the glue to completely harden (not because I got distracted by lining transfers!) the sides can be laid onto a piece of brass rod or wooden dowel, and by applying pressure, a nice, consistent tumblehome can be formed without all that tedious messing around with hot water that is necessary with plasticard:

post-793-0-47479500-1521225657_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-03862100-1521225672_thumb.jpg

One or two small pieces of beading have popped loose from the body, but as the side beading is all one piece, it'll be the work of a minute or two to glue them back down again once the body is assembled. A few minutes later...

post-793-0-83756300-1521225881_thumb.jpg

One full-second bodyshell and...

post-793-0-86668500-1521225989_thumb.jpg

On the chassis. Definitely looking coach-shaped now!

• Like 5

Update on the tumblehome situation: I've found that, once assembled and primed (and left a few days for the glue to completely harden (not because I got distracted by lining transfers!) the sides can be laid onto a piece of brass rod or wooden dowel, and by applying pressure, a nice, consistent tumblehome can be formed without all that tedious messing around with hot water that is necessary with plasticard:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180316_183628645.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180316_183650966.jpg

One or two small pieces of beading have popped loose from the body, but as the side beading is all one piece, it'll be the work of a minute or two to glue them back down again once the body is assembled. A few minutes later...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180316_184339285.jpg

One full-second bodyshell and...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180316_184531757.jpg

On the chassis. Definitely looking coach-shaped now!

That is excellent.  Rolling the tumblehome is one of the challenges of an etched kit.  if anything this medium looks easier, and certainly no worse.

It looks very impressive.

Good job!

• Like 1

It certainly doesn't seem to need as much pressure as rolling a brass kit - in fact, I didn't *roll* it as such, just applied firm finger pressure. I may have to roll the roof however, being a longer curve, but I'm hoping the formers I've drawn into the compartment dividers will help with that.

Goodness, guess I'd better get on to finish the rooves and bufferbeams, and finish building one of these!

Pardon my ignorance, but what are rooves?  I thought coaches had roofs.

Jim (or should this be in the pedant's thread?)

Last update of this evening - the five-compartment 3rd bodyshell is also complete (minus roof), but I'll need to go and cut out some more compartment dividers tomorrow evening at the lab before any further construction can take place. Armed with fresh supplies of 1mm card, I'll be cutting out the parts to trial-build the brake-end 3rd, which is the scary one. Lots of complicated curves. You can see my trial ducket section lurking here, though there's a few small changes to be made to it yet - the fit of the side panel is not perfect as I was working on it late in the evening and forgot to account for the width of the laser beam in the cuts. Should be a simple enough change though...

This is all very exciting - not much more work to be done to form these into complete kits!

post-793-0-58404000-1521233512_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant stuff Linny.  Card is one of those materials that gets overlooked in these modern times, but is seriously useful for making models that are good as anything else on offer.  Not my scale of course, but I can certainly appreciate what you've achieved.  nyZaJwU.gif

• Like 1

Last update of this evening - the five-compartment 3rd bodyshell is also complete (minus roof), but I'll need to go and cut out some more compartment dividers tomorrow evening at the lab before any further construction can take place. Armed with fresh supplies of 1mm card, I'll be cutting out the parts to trial-build the brake-end 3rd, which is the scary one. Lots of complicated curves. You can see my trial ducket section lurking here, though there's a few small changes to be made to it yet - the fit of the side panel is not perfect as I was working on it late in the evening and forgot to account for the width of the laser beam in the cuts. Should be a simple enough change though...

This is all very exciting - not much more work to be done to form these into complete kits!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180316_204703048.jpg

This is brilliant.

The medium suits the subject, too.