Skinnylinny

Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Mr. Adams' Finest

15 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

hi Linny

Happy Birthday for a start! I hope you have a good day.

Sorry to say no to the transfers. I did put some around the edge of the Marsh set printed in Tasmania but have just about finished the designs for the next lot and no space left!

Try Railtec for one offs.

I am still fiddling about with 3D designs and getting parts ready for Craven Goods and A.N.Other and some more carriages etc. More soon'ish.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, didn't you say you knew someone who could print white transfers?

Many happy returns, Linny. I'm in Austria at the moment and it's hot here too, 29° and we're at an alm at 1040m at the moment. 

Jim 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Linny,

Happy birthday and good luck Thursday.

drduncan

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Linny,

Happy birthday and good luck Thursday.

drduncan

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy birthday Linny and I hope your job interview goes well.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy birthday from a coolish Vancouver Island, and my fingers are crossed for your job interview!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Well, I gave in and bought myself a birthday present from the club tonight - quite rare, and a bargain too, given they're mostly working (although one of the needles is a bit "sticky"). I'm going to have a lot of fun making the purists wince as I adjust these and hook them up to an Arduino instead of using the included wiring harness. Unfortunately, one of the cases is rather discoloured (a white "bloom") - any thoughts on how I could remove this and have two nice, shiny block instruments? My first thought is to try a little T-cut on a cotton bud on an unobtrusive part and check it doesn't react with the plastic.

1319880874_BlockBells.jpg.52a3557041bca583472f51e98bdb8af6.jpg

• Like 9

Wow! They are rare.  Briefly appeared in the Triang catalogue and then vanished into the void.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, I gave in and bought myself a birthday present from the club tonight - quite rare, and a bargain too, given they're mostly working (although one of the needles is a bit "sticky"). I'm going to have a lot of fun making the purists wince as I adjust these and hook them up to an Arduino instead of using the included wiring harness. Unfortunately, one of the cases is rather discoloured (a white "bloom") - any thoughts on how I could remove this and have two nice, shiny block instruments? My first thought is to try a little T-cut on a cotton bud on an unobtrusive part and check it doesn't react with the plastic.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1319880874_BlockBells.jpg.52a3557041bca583472f51e98bdb8af6.jpg

You're a lucky person Linny. I've never even seen one of those is person. Didn't know there were any left outside of private collections. 

I'd never seen one either! Hence why I had to grab it. I'm planning to take the set into the 'lab this evening and hook it up to a 16V supply, see if the needles twitch appropriately and the bells ting and ping.

The long-term desire with Linton is a fairly complex system whereby the layout can either be operated using a mimic panel and traditional section switching, or allow the operator to operate a signalbox frame and instruments and let a computer do the actual driving. These instruments would interact with the fiddle yard to provide information to the signaller as to what to expect.

• Like 5

That sounds bl00dy fantastic!

• Agree 1

The bells still don't ring perfectly, but it's a start!

• Like 9

They might improve with some use.  I can predict they would have been packed in their box without seeing the light of day for a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

They are rather gorgeous, aren't they? I'm going to take them apart in the next few days and give them a really gentle tweak, see if I can get the bells ringing nicely. The clappers go well enough, so I wonder if the bell retaining nut might want adjusting. 

Last night, I availed myself of a friend with a car to move the J71 to the Hacklab. A lot of impressed hacklabbers have poked at it and given useful advice. It appears that the cab and tanks have been assembled from tinplate, soldered together with ordinary 60/40 solder. Unfortunately, some of the tinplate is rusting through the plating, especially at some of the failing solder joints.

Some more painting has taken place too, although the weather here has been so hot that the paint was drying on the brush! I had to regularly add thinners just to be able to get a smooth coat of enamel paint on, and I'm used to working with acrylics. Most disconcerting. 

20190725_180140.jpg.516bf0332f55262b27bf545f458a93ad.jpg

• Like 7

Honestly, the neds (local slang, roughly equivalent to chavs etc) around here will nick the wheels off anything!

Neds1.jpg.d4c6229504c1e18d4930a3a6e0bd577f.jpgNeds2.jpg.b87e401429ae0633fc73631e20099f85.jpg

The J71 is currently up on bricks, as it's the easiest way to access bits of it for cleaning and to spot the missing parts...

• Like 5

That's enough deconstruction for today, I think. We've managed to get the cylinder block out, emptied it of the stones rattling around inside it (apparently the pet birds belonging to the loco's owner used to drop ballast down the chimney!) and hooked it up to an air compressor. A little bit of manual wiggling of the valves and both pistons move smoothly by themselves under pressure. Interesting...

Also, a friend with more knowledge of live steam than me had a look at the boiler. He says it looks like a pressure vessel, riveted together, lagged (with wood, under the boiler cladding) and a big, chunky copper firebox. Curious, given the cab has been assembled with 60/40 solder, and the tanks have no bottoms, so wouldn't hold any water. There are threaded fittings which look as though they would take plumbing from the cylinders, and a threaded fitting on the backhead below the regulator handle. I didn't think the handle was attached to anything, but it can be pulled on and springs back into place. Turning it normally is smooth and free.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Cylinders.jpg.f594cf56e6e2adc49888b16632bdab14.jpg

• Like 8

Oooooft. With a lot of yawning and stretching, that's me starting by my trip down to Newcastle for Railex NE. I must admit, the 5:45 alarm wasn't very welcome! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

Whoops... I popped into the local model shop this afternoon to pick up some more Plastic Weld, as I've finally run out. I made the terrible mistake of looking in the second-hand cabinet. 

£100 for a DCC sound-fitted C class in simplified Wainwright livery? Given the £10 gift voucher I received for my birthday and the fact that the chip and speaker have already been sold for £50, that brings the effective cost of the loco down to £40. Not too bad. Granted, it's unboxed and missing the vac pipes and a handrail knob, but those are all easy fixes, and she runs nicely... 

Ooops. 

20190730_183729.jpg.7ed4168bce84e7c4562f9bc46d286fc1.jpg

Probably a good thing I've been listing some of my other stock on eBay... 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now that's quite the result  :) Congratulations on a late birthday present to yourself!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it sacrilegious that mine, currently in that livery, might be going into grey?

Not especially... it would probably be the best condition model to repaint without modifications, although if it were a fully-lined one, you might receive a message about a swap! :P

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Fully lined?! I'm not on £100 an hour mate!!!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2