Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Not much of an update today I'm afraid - been busy at the Romanno Bridge exhibition in the Scottish Borders. I did, however, manage to tidy up the chassis parts and set them up as a sellable kit (i.e. one piece of card with all the parts held in place by tags, rather than dozens of delicate, loose parts) so that has been test-cut and will probably be assembled tomorrow. A sneak preview of all the bits that make up a chassis is here:

post-793-0-55796900-1521326856_thumb.jpg

There are three spare axleboxes (I might see about adding a fourth, or including some without holes in as a top layer, to make the axleboxes deeper than the springs. I also wrote a basic set of instructions for assembly, and I'll start assembling the bits needed for the bodyshell of each coach diagram into their own files to have them set up neatly like this. The difference between a prototype model to see if it can be done, and making it a production run. By a happy coincidence, I was able to get the chassis kit set up so that I could get four chassis out of one sheet of thick card, with about a 3mm border around each side. This is good as it saves me wasting card or spending lots of time trying to rearrange parts for maximum efficiency.

• Like 3

Thank you, that's very kind!

I don't actually own a laser cutter or a 3D printer - I am a member of a Hackerspace (basically a place with various tools and people who know how to use it - you pay your membership and get to use the tools!) which has both, although I have had little experience with the 3D printers there as yet.

This evening I found I had about 30 minutes free and didn't feel like doing any CAD, so thought instead I would have a quick go at painting the model model railway I got from Shapeways... Photos before:

post-793-0-83586100-1521490752_thumb.jpg

And after!

post-793-0-52332700-1521490797_thumb.jpg

Definitely need to get some better small brushes, and the paintwork is a bit blobby, but I daresay I'll return to it occasionally to tidy bits up...

• Like 4

Thank you, that's very kind!

I don't actually own a laser cutter or a 3D printer - I am a member of a Hackerspace (basically a place with various tools and people who know how to use it - you pay your membership and get to use the tools!) which has both, although I have had little experience with the 3D printers there as yet.

Hmm. Interesting. Sadly here in deepest darkest Norfolk there's not a gigantic amount of opportunities like that; especially considering that I suffer from social anxiety.

This evening I found I had about 30 minutes free and didn't feel like doing any CAD, so thought instead I would have a quick go at painting the model model railway I got from Shapeways... Photos before:

attachicon.gifModel model railway 1.jpg

And after!

attachicon.gifModel model railway.jpg

Definitely need to get some better small brushes, and the paintwork is a bit blobby, but I daresay I'll return to it occasionally to tidy bits up...

No worse that some of the painting on some of my locos. I'd in fact say it's very impressive considering how tiny it is.

Also Modelception. Getting there first before anyone else does  :jester:

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

It's lovely material - all the horizontal and vertical surfaces are completely smooth, almost glass-like. There is some stepping on the boiler and cab roof, but it's pretty mild.

I've been in touch with the designer of the Millwall Extension Railway loco on Shapeways, and I've been presented with a problem. The correct wheels are available from Alan Gibson, on a 1/8" axle. However, the model was produced for use with a Mashima 1015 and a High Level Kits "Horizontal Micromiser" gearbox... which is only available with a 2mm output shaft. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? I can't seem to find appropriate bushes on the Alan Gibson site - the bushes I could find were designed to be a moving fit on the 2mm axle, for bushing a 1/8" bearing. 

That's an interesting problem!!! and I already have the AG wheel set!!! I wonder if Colin @ Alan Gibson would have a solution if you phoned him?

Gary

That's a good thought - I'll drop him a call.

[Edit to add: Answerphone message suggests that they've shut down for a few days due to Colin having a rather nasty chest infection. They're hoping to be back up and running again soon.]

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

That's a good thought - I'll drop him a call.

[Edit to add: Answerphone message suggests that they've shut down for a few days due to Colin having a rather nasty chest infection. They're hoping to be back up and running again soon.]

They'll be at York at the end of the month.  I'm intending to visit them there, so if there is anything I can ask on your behalf, let me know.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the wheels!

I will try and confirm dimensions with you tomorrow once I have a print of Derwent's tender.

I myself will be spending Saturday at a local show and Sunday at Alexandra Palace.

Speaking of which, the latter show looks as if it will be better than last year, which was really rather disappointing and felt like one huge BRM advert, with only one decent layout really as far as pre-grouping goes. This year has Twickenham MRC's Kensington Olympia, so it's already better! Hope they've cut back a bit on the BRM advertising.

Edited by sem34090

Ah yes, the wheels!

I will try and confirm dimensions with you tomorrow once I have a print of Derwent's tender.

I myself will be spending Saturday at a local show and Sunday at Alexandra Palace.

Speaking of which, the latter show looks as if it will be better than last year, which was really rather disappointing and felt like one huge BRM advert, with only one decent layout really as far as pre-grouping goes. This year has Twickenham MRC's Kensington Olympia, so it's already better! Hope they've cut back a bit on the BRM advertising.

I'm... not doing anything or going anywhere. :(

Hi, I like your laser cut coaches. I have had some success using the same technique to build tumblehome coaches (see on this forum in the laser cutting section "Starting out with a Chinese laser cutter". I cut in 1mm mount board too.  To form the tumblehome I made a press tool from 2 bits of 1/8 aluminium. The inner and outer cards are glued with full strength PVA using the base and of end of the laser cut as a datum. This is then placed on the base of the press tool. The top placed on top and the whole lot held together with bulldog clips.  Next day the part is removed, the tumblehome is permanent. I have had problems in forming the tumbehome without the shaped press in the past with the face of the card slightly creasing when rolled to form the tumblehome.  The press is used again to assemble the detailed interior sides and the panel frets to the preformed side.  My coaches are in 16mm scale so your press would be easier to make. Just grip the aluminium by its edge in the vice and pull it to get the curve( my bits being larger I bent in a press brake but that is bye the bye) You do need to make them carefully. Ideally the top and bottom plates will match shape and allow for the thickness of the card.  I plan to make a few coaches so the effort of the tool was worthwhile.  Really worthwhile if you wanted to turn them into a kit, since then you could preform the sides and fairly ask a higher price.

• Like 3

Well, it's been a quiet week on the modelling front, but a rather busier one on the life front - I spent two evenings helping my partner move house, another writing a cover letter and preparing a CV for a job application (which sadly fell through) and a fourth asleep! I've had to pace myself with screen-time a bit this week, because I've not been feeling very well (mostly tiredness and aching, but I've been finding it hard to sleep, hence avoiding bright screens too late at night). However, work is still progressing on the coach kits, with not many more parts needing to be drawn up. 

Here's to a quiet evening, drawing up the last few parts - the coach end steps and other small detailing parts.

Just as a point of interest, here is a comparison of no. 42 Havelock Vetinari when I first tried fitting the Hornby Jinty chassis into the GBL Wainwright C class body, compared with how she (he? The loco is named after a male character from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series) looks now, fully lined out and finished:

post-793-0-21024300-1521839881_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-25512400-1521840281_thumb.jpg

Yes, yes, I know I only posted that photo a page or two ago, but I came across the older one while rummaging through my Pictures folder on my laptop and the two hardly even look like the same loco. It just goes to show what a passable lining job and a new set of coupling rods can do to a model!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick post here, Linny sent me a copy of the artwork for the Stroudley's which with a small amount of editing has allowed me to make some with my Silhouette Cutter!!

I need to make a few adjustments to the file based on the build, but my test build of the brake has gone well!!!

post-22762-0-29007400-1522007363_thumb.jpg

It is currently under inspection by the CME, but when he signs it off I will put a more detailed break down, along with some other bits I've been working on over on Oak Hill!!

Gary

• Like 6

Just a quick post here, Linny sent me a copy of the artwork for the Stroudley's which with a small amount of editing has allowed me to make some with my Silhouette Cutter!!

I need to make a few adjustments to the file based on the build, but my test build of the brake has gone well!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180325_112739.jpg

It is currently under inspection by the CME, but when he signs it off I will put a more detailed break down, along with some other bits I've been working on over on Oak Hill!!

Gary

Nice. Looks like that will be a very nice brake coach once it's finished. Good job!

I've not had a chance to get to the laser cutter to cut out the final version of the brake coach for myself to build, but have some photos of the D43 All-Second and D44 All-Third, minus their roof (which I should be cutting out in the next few days) in card, which is what the original design was for, before Gary's modifications...

post-793-0-80539100-1522012193_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-49619500-1522012212_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-49704700-1522012235_thumb.jpg

Basically all these kits need now is the instructions writing and they'll be ready to go after one or two test builds... Anyone for some Stroudley coaches?

• Like 7

I've not had a chance to get to the laser cutter to cut out the final version of the brake coach for myself to build, but have some photos of the D43 All-Second and D44 All-Third, minus their roof (which I should be cutting out in the next few days) in card, which is what the original design was for, before Gary's modifications...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180325_220443110.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180325_220611807.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180325_220622381.jpg

Basically all these kits need now is the instructions writing and they'll be ready to go after one or two test builds... Anyone for some Stroudley coaches?

Oh yes!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180325_112739.jpg

Gary

What are those coaches behind the one under construction?

• Like 2