Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Another piece of LSWR rolling stock has rolled off the CAD workbench - this time an LSWR 16' horsebox, to go with the open carriage truck. 

The model has no floor, but is designed such that glazing can be added from underneath, before a plasticard partial floor can be glued to the tops of the solebars, and a compartment partition to two locating strips printed on the inside. This means that so far, my LSWR stock 3D printing CAD includes: A12 locomotive, part-finished F9 bodyshell, an open wagon, a carriage truck, a horsebox, a luggage van, a gunpowder van, a cattle wagon and a brake van. 

76097493_LSWRHorseboxandCarriageTruck.PNG.3a679a019b48868e0fbf780e35dfb0da.PNG

I've also been continuing work on the laser-cut LSWR 42' bogie stock at the club, which has now re-opened. These two carriages are now glazed and lettered, although one still requires lining out, and there are a couple of tiny spots of paint to be touched up. There's a full third, and a brake third.

20210824_212759.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

The most recent famous person to say that got the response, “A pair of handcuffs, mate.”

Eep. Well, there's one phrase I'll need to drop out of my vocabulary!

*ahem* What it is is two of the three carriages of an SE&CR  ex-LCDR 3-carriage pull-push set, as used with the Wainwright P class.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

*ahem* What it is is two of the three carriages of an SE&CR  ex-LCDR 3-carriage pull-push set, as used with the Wainwright P class

Ooooo very nice.  An interesting and unusual push-pull set, - I'll be looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Agree 1

Definitely an interesting set - two different types of beading between three carriages.

I'll admit that I drew up the 5-compartment Third, then used some virtual cut-and-shut to create the 4-compartment composite! The best thing since sliced... carriages?

ChoppyChoppy.png

The driving third, though, has not only recessed panelling below the waist, but half-round beading above it demarcating the upper panels. This means that I can't get away with quite as much copying and pasting. 

295436673_LCDRBeading.PNG.1e6d170df9be8980b2798979497e9b68.PNG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

SR (and my) pedantry but they're pull-push sets ;)

I'm certainty looking forward to seeing them too :good_mini:

I stand corrected.  Over in Norfolk they called that kind of thing 'motor trains' so I guess that was why I put my foot in it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Annie said:

I stand corrected.  Over in Norfolk they called that kind of thing 'motor trains' so I guess that was why I put my foot in it.

Oh no, not at all, everyday's a school day.  I didn't realise motor trains were a nationwide name for these setups either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Motor Trains, Push-Pull, Auto Trains, Pull-Push... Vacuum, rodding, cable or compressed air... So many variations on the same basic principle!

Thinking about the ex LSWR Gate Sets in the early BR(S) era, how would these have been controlled?

ta

Well, the driver can now see where they're going, which is a start! As well as roof ventilators to all vehicles, windows, beading and lamp irons have been added to the driving end.

358624991_SECRPull-Push.PNG.72c2f0e51704ddcd41211154c2441805.PNG

Of the 5 other carriage ends, 4 have been completed, leaving just the one that will be up against the locomotive. Below you can see the alarm "butterflies" and the control gear for the electric lighting. The only steps and end handrails are on the non-driving end of the set.

1115286757_SECRPull-PushAlarm.png.83bed6470149b95495ae193191428bab.png

Still to go: Underframe detail (brakes, battery boxes and dynamos), buffers, rainstrips and roof electric lighting conduits (these vehicles being electrically-lit from the time they were converted to pull-push sets).

Edit: I managed to get the lighting just right to highlight the panelling for this render, so have a view down the set from the other end!

SECR_Pull-Push.PNG

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...

Another quiet day of resting at home, but a little work has been ongoing on the layout lately with... gasp Physical modelling! The station building for Linton Town is to be a somewhat bashed-about Peco Manyways station kit and station house kit.

It's a great pity that the bay windows and extensions provided in the N scale station house kit don't come with the 00 version, but at least I have a gents' at one end. I assume the ladies' would be accessed through the waiting room? An alternative would be I have a Wills "Small Gents' Lavatory" (open-top and with a visible urinal and covered cubicle) which could be pressed into service as a gents' at the far end of the building.

20210924_141100.jpg

The canopy is not yet attached (hence the propping-up on the paint pot) to allow access for detail painting - I will probably pick out around the windows and doors with engineers' blue brick, and lintels and sills will be in sandstone, from the South Park Quarry, near Oak Hill. Then there's the chimneys, guttering, downpipes, flashing... Much work still to do!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

A very grand station, as befits such a terminus!

I'd agree that the ladies facilities would be access through the waiting room. More specifically, through the ladies waiting room, which would either be accessed off the general waiting room, or may have it's own door to the platform.

• Agree 1

Verwood, even though a very modest building (with much to be modest about), had the ladies 'washroom' accessible only from the dedicated 'Ladies Waiting Room'.   Ladies and gents facilities were in an extension built on the side of the original building.  The 'gents' was accessible only from the platform.

Gents' it shall be then! The ladies' will have to be squeezed in somewhere.

I thought the building looked very bland with just red brick everywhere, so I decided to highlight the bricks around the doors and windows. At first, I was leaning towards engineers' blue brick, but @BlueLightning persuaded me to go for yellow brick instead, and I'm glad he did - it contrasts nicely with the GSR royal blue window frames. Then I thought it was still very plain, so this happened...

20210924_183833.jpg

Of course, I then realised that the bottom row will be hidden on the platform side by the canopy, although as that was a later addition (hence the later-added wall extension to the right of the image) this seems reasonable!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Thank you, CKPR!  It just goes to show what can be done with what is a very nicely-designed modular kit, and a hacksaw. I'm hoping to hide most of the joints between the sections with downpipes, but there is one corner on the backscene side where there is a window which I would prefer not to be there! I'm still deciding exactly what will go there to hide it. I can't get away with a telephone box yet, but might get a post box? Might need to be something taller though as the lintel is the same height as those on the doors. 

20210924_190201.jpg

• Like 7