Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

I might be able to fill the window hole with some brickwork and use the downpipe and hopper to disguise the join - that's a good shout, thanks!

The canopy is now complete (apart from a little straightening at the left-hand end, and painting the columns (I'm thinking blue brackets and bottoms, and white middle sections? Or is that a fairly modern colour scheme?) Possibly some more supports, I'm not quite sure. And yes, I've checked, the supports are *just* a shade over 6 feet from the platform edge. The BoT are not hugely happy, but owing to the cramped location, not a lot more can be done. The ones alongside the building are the closest to the platform edge, and the inspector has recommended they be replaced with brackets supporting the canopy weight from the building.

20210925_124750.jpg

This building seems to mark a return of some modelling mojo. Long may it continue!

I'm also hoping to add lighting underneath the canopy, using grain-of-wheat bulbs. I know that LEDs run cool, and last longer, but I find that filament bulbs give off a richer, warmer glow than warm-white LEDs. Something to do with the emission spectrum, I think. I'll be running them at a pretty low voltage, though - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 their rated voltage, as I'm aiming to give the impression of gas lighting, probably without mantles, so a warm glow is just what I want. 

The station building will eventually gain something similar, although it will need an interior building at the same time, which will probably be laser-cut walls to divide it into rooms. I suspect that while the station building (waiting rooms, booking office etc) might be lit after dusk, not all of the windows of the stationmaster's house would have lights on, for example. Besides, at night the curtains would be drawn!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Excellent. I do think those Peco Many-Ways kits (it is such?) are terribly underrated and it's giving your railway company an effective house style. 

The pale decorative brick elements are a master stroke, in my view. Big thumbs up for both idea and execution from me.

Colour?  Well I don't know of any railway using such a blue until BR Eastern region, but you don't want your company to look the same as everyone else's!  The question is more one of pre-factory produced chemical paints - whether it was technically possible/likely - than of period taste. 

I do think the livery really 'lifts' that Stroudleyesque brake third; very smart!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Colour?  Well I don't know of any railway using such a blue until BR Eastern region, but you don't want your company to look the same as everyone else's!  The question is more one of pre-factory produced chemical paints - whether it was technically possible/likely - than of period taste. 

Well, the blue on the stock was inspired by Great Eastern loco livery and Furness Railway carriage livery, but using the blue on the buildings is perhaps less likely. I suspect a more common paint scheme would be to replace the white with cream, and the blue with either a dark red, brown, or something in between. I want to avoid green and cream, due to its Southern Railway suggestion.

21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I do think the livery really 'lifts' that Stroudleyesque brake third; very smart!

Thank you - the panelling on the duckets was added with some leftover bits from my laser-cut Stroudleys of several years ago, two of the end windows have been panelled over with blue paint, and footboards (at the correct height) and vacuum brake gear are being added. I must get around to changing that end handrail though, and keep pondering whether or not to paint the brake end a nice bright red, dark blue not being the easiest colour to see in low light conditions. Oh, and speaking of low light conditions, it needs to gain at least one more oil pot on the roof!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Well, the blue on the stock was inspired by Great Eastern loco livery and Furness Railway carriage livery, but using the blue on the buildings is perhaps less likely. I suspect a more common paint scheme would be to replace the white with cream, and the blue with either a dark red, brown, or something in between. I want to avoid green and cream, due to its Southern Railway suggestion.

Oh I think blue on the stock is fine - Furness, as you say

I take your point about not wanting to look like the Southern, but, then, green, while a very common colour for locomotives, was not as common as we might think in pre-Grouping station colour schemes.  The Great Central and Cambrian Railways come to mind, and perhaps one or two others.

I would say that most companies did not have a unified set of 'brand' colours across all departments, indeed, sometimes the signal department would have a different scheme from the stations, and there was no particular inclination to match station colours with rolling stock livery.  That idea is, I think, a more modern one, perhaps reflected in the SR choice of green and the WR adoption of chocolate and cream for buildings.

Castle Aching will have quite a bit of woodwork, so I've had to think about it.  Based of the observations above, I have eschewed green in favour of something more typical of the period.  Most companies had at least one dark colour, generally a brown or dark red, and at least one pale colour, and these ran the full gamut of creams, buffs and 'stones'.

At the risk of lending a rather MGN air to the WNR stations, I'm probably going to settle on a mid-brown and a buff, though I shall experiment.

Your station notice board headers, on the other hand, are less likely to track station colours and more likely to be a unique colour or one relating to the stock.  So, blue, of which I can think of a number of examples, would be good for you.  The WN's are green!

Anyway, the Joy of Freelance is that you can suite yourself in these matters.

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Thank you - the panelling on the duckets was added with some leftover bits from my laser-cut Stroudleys of several years ago, two of the end windows have been panelled over with blue paint, and footboards (at the correct height) and vacuum brake gear are being added. I must get around to changing that end handrail though, and keep pondering whether or not to paint the brake end a nice bright red, dark blue not being the easiest colour to see in low light conditions.

Is it one of your prints/laser cuts or a Hornby generic, it's too far away for me to tell?

I did notice the end windows had gone.  Makes a difference.

Nice job.

I did consider dark red (with cream - too much like LB&SC, and with stone - too much SECR!) and a mid-dark brown (with stone, LSWR) but I wanted something a bit different. The white does look rather bright on the canopy valences - I might have to tone it down to a creamy colour, which would match the signalbox.

The brake third is a Hornby one, seen here in a bit more detail with the 6-wheel first (the footboards of which are unfortunately a bit indistinct in this photo:

20210925_165725.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

I did consider dark red (with cream - too much like LB&SC, and with stone - too much SECR!) and a mid-dark brown (with stone, LSWR) but I wanted something a bit different. The white does look rather bright on the canopy valences - I might have to tone it down to a creamy colour, which would match the signalbox.

The brake third is a Hornby one, seen here in a bit more detail with the 6-wheel first (the footboards of which are unfortunately a bit indistinct in this photo:

20210925_165725.jpg

Marvellous coaches, Linny

While I focussed on the blue at the station, Simon is surely right about the white not staying white for long!

Personally I've always thought the pairing of Stone No.1 and Stone No.3 is optimal!

unnamed.jpg.23421fcbff0f16354b12f34bacd35063.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I have come to agree that cream is the way to go with the valencing, and this will match the signalbox. I will possibly keep the white panels on the doors (although they might also go cream) as a nod to the carriage livery. 

I've been trying out the Peco Model Scene platform signs under the canopy, as well - I'm rather pleased with how these look! I have already made up one of the running-in boards, and I'm not so certain about the lettering on this one, especially the L - perhaps I need to get some Slaters (or similar) lettering instead. I quite like the idea of serif lettering, but I don't know.

20210927_195056.jpg

936701199_LintonTown.jpg.8154ec3d1182f2c342219cf2d1d8ecaa.jpg

• Like 10

With the recent period of RMWeb being unavailable, I thought I ought to do some actual modelling!

Some more scenic work for the layout from Wednesday evening: I dragged out one of the old Hornby Victorian semi kits - the two shops - which I had last poked at a while ago. In fact, all I had done was to paint the vegetables in the shop display for the greengrocer. A thoroughly enjoyable evening later, I now have a butcher and a greengrocer for the layout, with leftover detailing parts for a bakery. The upstairs windows are just tacked in place, as they'll be getting painted a colour that isn't gloss white (possibly black or dark green), and I still need to fit the glazing and chimneys to the building. These kits are being built as half-relief, meaning I am cutting them in half down the middle. The capping tiles on the roof are a bit rough, where I had to cut the one-piece roof down the middle. I'm pondering how to go about tidying this up, and so far the winning thought is to cut them off completely and replace with Wills ones. The front guttering on the shops is already from the Wills building detail sprue, as for some reason the Hornby kit only included rear guttering, and had a bit of a gap at the front where the wall met the roof! 

20210930_092527.jpg

Then last night at the club, I managed to get the pickups sorted on my Branchlines Ilfracombe Goods. It's now a fairly sweet runner, although the pickups droop a little and catch on uncoupling ramps on the layout (although not on points, so perhaps the ramps are a little above rail level... 

Work will hopefully now continue on the aesthetic parts - bodywork, brakes etc., and shortening that tender coupling!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

Not much to report over the weekend - the fatigue hit hard and I spent most of Saturday asleep. Sunday passed in a bit of a fog as well. At various points I tried to do some modelling but nothing seemed to go to plan, so I set up a quick scene using some Metcalfe retaining walls I've been using to get a sense of scale, and took this photo. 

20211002_173534.jpg.9bf9969590313bb0962733e97eb5bc57.jpg

It's amazing how something so simple can cheer one up. Now, where did I put the rest of those house kits...? 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

A discussion with some friends a few days ago led to me discovering the engines of the Cornwall Minerals Railway. Specifically the 2-4-0 tender rebuilds of the Sharp Stewart 0-6-0Ts by the M&GNJR. I have fallen in love with these diminutive locomotives, and have decided I want to model one.

Eastern & Midland Railway (UK) - EMR 2-4-0 steam locomotive Nr. 18 (Sharp Stewart Locomotive Works 2373 / 1874)

Through a friend I've managed to get an un-dimensioned drawing of the loco, and a dimensioned one of the tender, but I was wondering if anyone had a dimensioned drawing of the locomotive, or at least some key dimensions for a "close-enough" rendering? 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Wow Linny those M&GNJR 'Sharpies' are an engine that's high on my own favourite list.  I know James is also interested in these engines so I'm wondering if he might have a drawing or know of someone who does.  Unfortunately I don't have anything that would be of use to you and your project, - but know this, - I will be following along with a good deal of interest.

• RMweb Premium

There is a drawing of one in L&F 0-6-0T form and a drawing of the 4-wheel L&F tender in R.H. Clark, An Illustrated History of M&GNR Locomotives (OPC, 1990). These are Clark's own coloured GA drawings - the locomotive is shown in elevation, cross-sectioned on its centre line, and plan, one half at frame level, the other half sectioned through the tank; the tender drawing gives side and both end elevations and plan half at frame level and half top view. One has to wonder what Clark's sources were; he was at the date of publication MI Mech E, Past President of the Newcomen Society, and President and Chair of the M&GN Circle. I have been going through a pile of old copies of Railway Modeller out of my parents' loft, one of which carried a rather scathing review of this or another of Clark's books. It was signed AW and RJE. Unfortunately I couldn't find it again just now so I may have dreamed it.

The M&GN Circle's drawing list includes drawings by A.M. Wells of the ex-CMR engines in all their rebuilt guises.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

A discussion with some friends a few days ago led to me discovering the engines of the Cornwall Minerals Railway. Specifically the 2-4-0 tender rebuilds of the Sharp Stewart 0-6-0Ts by the M&GNJR. I have fallen in love with these diminutive locomotives, and have decided I want to model one.

Eastern & Midland Railway (UK) - EMR 2-4-0 steam locomotive Nr. 18 (Sharp Stewart Locomotive Works 2373 / 1874)

Through a friend I've managed to get an un-dimensioned drawing of the loco, and a dimensioned one of the tender, but I was wondering if anyone had a dimensioned drawing of the locomotive, or at least some key dimensions for a "close-enough" rendering? 

Tom Turbosnail got somewhere with the CAD for the tank version, so, same frames, boiler, boiler fittings etc.

There is a suitable RTR donor chassis possible if you turn the Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 chassis into a 2-4-0.

Knuckles does a Sharp Stewart 4-wheel tender. 

Both Clark and Essery have drawings.

• Like 4

Thanks, all - that should be enough sources for now! I may draw up a slightly modified (read: less wide!) version for the GSR.

Meanwhile, Station Road continues to grow... I'm still undecided whether I want to have these houses as true semi-detached pairs, or a terrace. 

20211006_093948.jpg

If they were to become a terrace, I would have to disguise the joints between the kits, and probably also add firewalls between them (which, at least at roof level, would disguise the joins, I suppose!). Annoyingly, I can't use drainpipes, as these feature either side of the protrusions beside the doors (not bays, I don't think, as the windows don't extend to the sides).

The chimneys are being left off until I decide between semi-detached and terraced, as if they're terraced I imagine a shared chimney would be most likely.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Here's some not too far from where I used to live:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2639128,-1.099113,3a,75y,280.84h,94.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sffh81WQU9aNuL0CIQgvagA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Shared chimneys, no firewall above roof level though - although they're on a slope, so there's a height difference between each pair.

All of the smaller properties in the area, without the sticky-out bits, have individual chimneys, in the middle of each property to serve both front and back rooms with back-to-back fireplaces.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Downpipes would be in the angle between the doors and the window projections, with probably a shared one between the buildings. In the case of the 'stepped' buildings which @Nick C linked to, the gable of the building above acts as a firewall.

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Thanks, all - that should be enough sources for now! I may draw up a slightly modified (read: less wide!) version for the GSR.

Meanwhile, Station Road continues to grow... I'm still undecided whether I want to have these houses as true semi-detached pairs, or a terrace. 

20211006_093948.jpg

If they were to become a terrace, I would have to disguise the joints between the kits, and probably also add firewalls between them (which, at least at roof level, would disguise the joins, I suppose!). Annoyingly, I can't use drainpipes, as these feature either side of the protrusions beside the doors (not bays, I don't think, as the windows don't extend to the sides).

The chimneys are being left off until I decide between semi-detached and terraced, as if they're terraced I imagine a shared chimney would be most likely.

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Here's some not too far from where I used to live:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2639128,-1.099113,3a,75y,280.84h,94.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sffh81WQU9aNuL0CIQgvagA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Shared chimneys, no firewall above roof level though - although they're on a slope, so there's a height difference between each pair.

All of the smaller properties in the area, without the sticky-out bits, have individual chimneys, in the middle of each property to serve both front and back rooms with back-to-back fireplaces.

A terrace is more convincing/likely/typical for your period, I would suggest.

I like Nick C's example, and, as he says, it has no firewall above roof level. This feature, I suspect, you will find limited to specific locations. Originating with post-Great Fire legislation in London, some towns adopted similar requirements, and I seem to recall the fact that Leamington Spar was one of them cropping up in an article on Pete Waterman's O gauge layout. 

So, unless your town is also to be exceptional in this way, you should not really have this feature at all.

Consider Warner Street, Barrow upon Soar.  Here a builder built a short terrace within the street, reserving to himself the largest (to the left), a property that was in my family for many years. 

143748038_WarnerStreet.png.31fd99ca0cc1a8ac0c40228402dfde48.png

There are no firewalls above the roofline.

However, my point was to illustrate the use of passages, or ''entries'', leading directly to the rear of the properties.  

Now, these may not be geographically suitable, but one thing you might consider is terminating the front walls immediately to the side of the window bays and inserting an extra length of wall between them using unused wall from one of the ends.  This could be a short fillet, or, a longer one with entries to the ground floor.  Either way, your downpipes, prototypically sited to the side of the window bay, mask the joins. 

1477425044_20211006_093948-Copy.jpg.f9810f8c6227ca2565d7f254dda4bd09.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If it's just a terraced block of four houses, the central passage would, I think, be unlikely - an alley between the block of houses and the block of shops might be more likely. Chimneystacks on the opposite side to the doors - as in @Nick C's photo. The doorway leads into a hall doors to the front and back rooms and stairs straight up in front of you; the fireplace (probably range in the back room, serving as the kitchen / dining room) is on the wall opposite the door to each room. These houses look large enough to have a master bedroom (window in the gabled projection) and a small bedroom over the doorway, with a back bedroom over the rear room and another bedroom in the rear projection (which would have been converted to a bathroom c. 1960), over the pantry, scullery, and coal store - so they're four-bedroom houses originally. The small front bedroom is the only one without a fireplace.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

If it's just a terraced block of four houses, the central passage would, I think, be unlikely - an alley between the block of houses and the block of shops might be more likely. 

That is probably a matter of local practice.  The street I referenced has many styles and periods, made up of terraces of generally no more than 4 houses.  These are not alleys leading to some back street, but passages into the back plots of the houses, therefore there is no logic to the suggestion that they would be more or less likely given the length of the terrace. 

• Like 1