Northern Maiden's Paint-shed

I recently purchased some lovely 4mm scale figures from Dart Castings to populate my late 60's/early 70's project and spent the last couple of nights painting them up:

20mmfigures.jpg

and from another supplier I purchased some very nice coos....brownie point for guessing the breed :D

Ayrshires.jpg

I think I may be tempted to purchase some more of these :rolleyes: All the figures were painted with a mix of Vallejo and Humbrol Railmatch paints with some ink finishes.

Rachel

• RMweb Gold

Well, they ain't Limousins or Charolais, of which there are a few around this part of France! I'll ask my farmer friend tonight as the ex-pat Pub Quiz is in his farmhouse! Your abilities are quite depressing. You've even picked out the buttons and spectacle frames on those 4mm figures. I don't know what your day-job is, but you could make a bob or two painting things for the incompetent and poorly-sighted of this hobby, I bet! Well done, yet again!

Ayrshire 'coos' is my guess, but I'm not all that up on my cows, if you'll pardon the expression.

Black and white "standard cow" = Friesians; brown and white version - similar but not so tall = Ayrshire; hairy with horns = Highland.

Well, they ain't Limousins or Charolais, of which there are a few around this part of France! I'll ask my farmer friend tonight as the ex-pat Pub Quiz is in his farmhouse! Your abilities are quite depressing. You've even picked out the buttons and spectacle frames on those 4mm figures. I don't know what your day-job is, but you could make a bob or two painting things for the incompetent and poorly-sighted of this hobby, I bet! Well done, yet again!

Cheers... I used to get lots of practice painting wargames figures for my brother and his friends :D

Ayrshire 'coos' is my guess, but I'm not all that up on my cows, if you'll pardon the expression.

Black and white "standard cow" = Friesians; brown and white version - similar but not so tall = Ayrshire; hairy with horns = Highland.

Yep..spot on...they are indeed Ayrshires. Although the farms up between the Gareloch and Loch Long have Friesian and Highlands I did spot a small herd of Ayrshires a few weeks ago.

Your abilities are quite depressing.

hes not wrong there!

"I used to get lots of practice painting wargames figures for my brother and his friends"

whats impressive is I presume you started on 25mm stuff, to produce the same technique and level of detail in 4mm is scary.

Can we have a step by step photo laden guide soon please? ;P

Do you undercoat with black first?

The cows look great (never thought I'd say that on a forum :/)

Care to show us a few of your wargaming minis?

I'm going now ;)

whats impressive is I presume you started on 25mm stuff, to produce the same technique and level of detail in 4mm is scary.

Can we have a step by step photo laden guide soon please? ;P

Steve, as requested a basic step-by-step guide :)

Ok, firstly Im using acrylic paints by Valejo and Humbrol Rail-colour for this wee chap.

To start with I glue (superglue is best) the figure to a piece of stiff board or card. This is to make the figure easier to handle when painting. Give it 15mins to dry (get superglue on your best brush and it'll be ruined)

I then paint the whole figure in light grey for an undercoat:

This is essential to give the next coats of paint a "key" and ensures a better, longerlasting job. Ensure that the paint does not obliterate any detail and that there are no airbubbles in the finish.

figure1.jpg

I should note that I dont use black as an undercoat as it can "dull" colours such as yellows and reds.

Next I pick out my base colours:

Mid-blue for the denim overalls; a darker blue for the jacket, and orange brown for the base of the flesh tones.

figure2.jpg

Mid-tones:

Mix your base colour with a little white paint to achieve a pleasing midtone and paint the raised details. With skin use a "from the pot" flesh colour.

Figure3.jpg

This figure from Dart Castings is crisply cast and has nice defined folds and creases which makes the job easier. If a figure has "flat" detail then you can use this stage to paint on a few folds, this will make the figure appear more detailed.

Highlights:

Now we use those same colours and add a touch more white for the highlights. These are applied to sharp creases, the top of deep folds, noses, upperlips, cheeks, jacket edges etc

figure4.jpg

This figure is now a perfectly presentable finished piece, however if you like it can go a stage further:

Finishing touches:

I now mix up a very dark brown and with a fine brush I paint where the wrist meets the jacket cuff, where the legs disappear into the jacket hem etc. I also use this stage to touch up the hair, add any facial hair etc, paint the fine lines between the fingers. If you see any area that could do with more definition mix up more highlight colour using more white and add to where required (dont over do it though)

There has been very little added to the figure at this stage but Im sure you'll agree that there is a subtle improvement

figure5.jpg

Hope you find this of interest and or help :)

Rachel

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your painting guide. I too spent quite a few years painting wargaming figures (for my son) but got back to railway modelling when he started painting his own. Unfortunately I spent most of the time painting Orcs and Goblins so didn't get too much opportunity to paint human figures! I did paint some cows in the "regionally correct" scheme though for my ON30 layout!

Tony

I love the 'real cows' and they are what I want too....where did you get them? Are they Dart Castings too? At least half the cows I recall from my childhood looked like these...the others were dunn all over or black aberdeen angus or hairy highland with big horns. have you any clydesdales? or other heavy horses on the go?

Any info would be useful. This is what individualises a layout.

Well dunn done!

Stockie

• RMweb Premium

Another site for guidance can be found here, similar technique but done in a slightly different order; http://www.brifayle.ca/index.html

Thanks for linking to that site David. I remember Brian Fayle giving a talk and demonstration to the 7mm Narrow Gauge Convention in Nottingham about 10/15 years ago.

Mike

I love the 'real cows' and they are what I want too....where did you get them? Are they Dart Castings too? At least half the cows I recall from my childhood looked like these...the others were dunn all over or black aberdeen angus or hairy highland with big horns. have you any clydesdales? or other heavy horses on the go?

Any info would be useful. This is what individualises a layout.

Well dunn done!

Stockie

Stockie, I do have a Clydesdale on the go and I got it from Dart. The cows are from scalelink and they do them in 6 different poses (four different standing and 2 different laying down). I quite liked these as they were the proper size, a lot of the RTR cows are just too small to pass as the real thing.

Nice work, you seem to have captured the textures that the commercially painted models leave out. Another site for guidance can be found here, similar technique but done in a slightly different order; http://www.brifayle.ca/index.html

Cheers,

David

Thanks David. Nice link, a different technique but effective all the same.

• 1 month later...

Rachel, thanks for rebouncing this thread. Quite apart from those 16Ts which are, frankly, stunning. I don't think I've ever seen any quite so convincing. Very well done.

Then I go back up and see those wee men, not to mention the coos. They are incredible, and thanks for the step by step guide; I'm going to share it with my lad and try-out on his wargame figures. Instead of despairing with head in hands, I'm determined to use this as an incentive to get cracking....

Thanks again for sharing.

• RMweb Premium

Rachel, due credit there, truly brilliant weathering.....although one little point which is only me being pedantic, that peeling paint is probably over scale....but hey who cares its the most convincing reproduction of paint peel I have yet to see, and as for the rust.....I am sure I saw a few flakes falling off...its that convincing, lovely job!

I am going to get my son to paint my little people....he spent most of his younger years painting warhammer figures, same technique and the same truly stunning results....although not sure where the dragon slayer will stand on the platform? :lol:

• RMweb Gold

The figure painting as always outstanding! You must have a steady hand and lots of patience!

.....although one little point which is only me being pedantic, that peeling paint is probably over scale....but hey who cares its the most convincing reproduction of paint peel I have yet to see, and as for the rust.....I am sure I saw a few flakes falling off...its that convincing

Assuming this is two sides of same wagon, rom prototype pics I'd go with pics 1 & 4 - I'm not sure just what it is about the 2 & 3 that isn't just quite right, but the rustiness of the wagons comes from fitting new panels which aren't treated rather than a patchwork effect-the side door area in particular in general would be more maintained to prevent escape of coal, but given the close-uppyness of these shots I wouldn't worry too much about the scale of either the rust bubbles or the peeling paint from the '3foot rule' it'll look spot-on!

Maybe they are seperate wagons though?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

What a gift you have there Rachel, top marks to you for making full use of it and also for sharing it with us mere mortals! :D

Nice Ayrshires!

Dave.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys....

Rachel,

How many point & signal levers are contained in your signal box?

The position of the box may change but at present there are 16 levers in this box and home and distant signals aside, they control 5 sets of points. There are also two spare white levers and I have a little room to add another 4 levers if need be..

• 4 months later...

Picked up another Heljan Class 27 D5362 with the intention of converting it to D5355 Circa 1969 which ran on the west Highland line..

The loco had its cabs primed and sprayed all-over yellow (keeping the side window frames white).. then before weathering the loco was renumbered and new blue coupling stars and warning panels were added to the cab fronts.

Some pics showing before, during and after...

69285.jpg

5355basecoats.jpg

d5355weathered.jpg

on the layout with sister loco D5362

passing27small.jpg

Archived