Cromford Wharf BR(C&HPR)

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

Not so much time available for modelling over the last week but managed to get a few bits done. I felt the Woodland Scenics armatures were just way to chunky for this. Looking at the photos of the front of the engine Shed I realised i’d need to make something from scratch so I’m currently experimenting with a homemade wire armature using 7 strand hook up wire that has been strategically soldered, splayed apart and trimmed:

post-33366-0-82198000-1517829870_thumb.jpeg

I’ve also started some of the walls - the brick retaining wall at the back, a short stone wall at the rear of the Shed and parts of the canal wall that runs the entire front length of the layout:

post-33366-0-39281300-1517829892_thumb.jpeg

Last of all I picked up a secondhand Hornsby J94 No. 68006 :

post-33366-0-05750800-1517829913_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I’ve spent most of my modelling time over the last week scribing clay. A canal wall runs the entire length of the layout along with quite a few sections on the other side of the track. I’ll either be a master scriber or just downright hate clay by the end of this! For this section I just have a short wall and the ‘loading dock’ to complete before I start applying color. The engine she’s will get a revisit at the same time.

post-33366-0-92069400-1518535642_thumb.jpegpost-33366-0-22894000-1518535667_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Stone work is gradually getting coloured in. I’ve taken member ACR’s advice and started with a tan coat, then highlighting individual stones while avoiding grey tones. This is already a much better colour match than my engine shed. The canal walls will also receive a fair amount of weathering and plant growth. Next is the brick section of the rear retaining wall.

post-33366-0-76190400-1518862072_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been busy with clay again - built up the small bank next to the loading dock using formers then a layer of DAS and retouched sections of the track bed. I wasn’t entirely happy with some areas of this and worth getting right before covering with static grass!

post-33366-0-16672700-1519301065_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Lovely set of photos which I've not seen before. I have a large collection of C&HPR photos and there is a distinct lack of photos of the Cromford loco shed and surrounds so thank you.

I have modelled Sheep Pasture Top - the top of the incline/ Winding House / Loco shed / Water tower and reservoirs. The layout is at the Leamington & Warwick Show next weekend.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131029-the-leamington-warwick-43rd-annual-model-railway-exhibition-saturday-3rd-sunday-4th-march-2018/

Robin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin - I’m guessing you’re the same chap I linked to in my first post then? Lovely model of Sheep Pasture - I’d really like to see it close up!

I managed to amass a fair collection of photos through hours of google searching, looking at local historical archives and sites dedicated to canals. The list goes on. Always happy to zip up a folder and send them out to anyone interested.

Cheers

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

First foray into using static grass. This stuff wasn’t around last time a built a model railway- what a game changer!!! The 60’s period I’m modelling had left Cromford a bit ‘rough round the edges’ and that included vegetation over most the track work at this end of the site. I’m treating this in layers - so far there have been 2mm, 4mm and 6mm static grass followed by larger tufts. Next will be small bushes and shrubs then lastbof all trees. So here’s what it’s looking like at the moment:

post-33366-0-47506500-1522617330_thumb.jpegpost-33366-0-25148800-1522617357_thumb.jpegpost-33366-0-67795900-1522617384_thumb.jpegpost-33366-0-75415100-1522617406_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks! Definitely starting to look a bit more realistic. I’m thinking ahead to the next part of this and may take on a larger section of the site - the middle part with the junction itself, 1 in 8 gradient and workshops. Still a fair few bits to sort on this relatively small part on the layout....

From looking at pics I think 68006 requires the extended top of the bunker removing and a new load of coal and cover. The rear cab windows from the pictures  I have remain the same as when the extended  bunker was in place.

Many of the J94's arrived on the CHPR with the extended bunkers but had them removed fairly quickly because they made coaling an extreme pain in the posterior.  I don't think any had the original cab rear sheets 'restored' after the removal of the extensions.

Edited by mike morley

There are pictures of 68006 on the summit section without the coal bunker extensions. Coal was hand loaded from a platform near the engine shed around 3' above track leve! at Middleton Top, so having to get it that extra height would have been very awkward. Good pictures ofd this engine and 68012 in The Cromford and High Peak Railway in Colour by John Evans, many taken on the last day.

Mim

Edited by Mim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the information chaps! I’ve not really paid a great deal of attention to locos and stock yet but do possess a good selection of photos to work from when I get round to it. The Hornby J94 was picked up quite cheap secondhand and I thought it would be a good starting point for chopping up somewhat. Also have a DJModels J94 that requires a new emblem and number. There was a surprising variety of locomotives used on this little railway and that was part of the appeal!

Thanks for the information chaps! I’ve not really paid a great deal of attention to locos and stock yet but do possess a good selection of photos to work from when I get round to it. The Hornby J94 was picked up quite cheap secondhand and I thought it would be a good starting point for chopping up somewhat. Also have a DJModels J94 that requires a new emblem and number. There was a surprising variety of locomotives used on this little railway and that was part of the appeal!

Once they found a locomotive that suited the line they tended to stick with them till they wore out. The last examples of several classes were used there long after the rest had been scrapped. The ex LNWR Chopper tanks, ex NLR Class75's for example.

Not just locomotives either. It was initially built to use horses between the inclines and at the wharfs. Fortunately there are no photos from that time, so no one can tell you that you have the wrong colour horse, or the wrong sort of tack if you decide to backdate your layout to the early 1830's :)

Mim

Edited by Mim

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

It’s been some time since I engaged in any railway modelling - renovating a 300 year old cottage tends to take quite some focus. The new home doesn’t have the same

amount of space as when I started out modelling Cromford so I’m going to embark on an OO version of Middleton Top. Being off work has enabled plenty of research on the location and I’m hoping to get going on baseboards soon. I’ll be setting up a new topic and posting a link soon. 
Cheers

Jay

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Geraint - I’m definitely interested in drawings! 
if you have anything that may be useful could you forward to hello@dubrek.co.uk

Thanks! Also I really enjoyed the article about Middlepeak you forwarded to me the other week - I appreciate you taking the time to do that. 
Cheers!

Jay

• Like 1