Latest Hornby teak coaches

Kestrel

2 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

I think it's both. On my BR buffet it seems to be rubber for the 'concertina' part and then a plastic end.

Being only familiar with the Maunsells in Hornby's recent range, I assumed gangways were rigid plastic on other types as well ........... the old rubbery things Mainline used to fit were far too stiff to have been coupled - if they'd ever met, that is !

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

One of the rails images of the Full Brake shows it missing the bit that sticks out the side to see out of (what’s this actually called by the way). Hopefully just a one off.

Ducket. (Or guard's ducket).

• RMweb Gold

Received my full brake from Hattons today ; also missing the ducket , otherwise it looks ok - swapped the wheels for Bachmann ( Hornby wheel spec changed a while back - they ride on the sleeper chairs when using C&L Finescale track ) 

Edited by resin001
Hornby sp
  • Informative/Useful 2

So both rails and hattons full brakes lack the Ducket

Just when Hornby were producing what are otherwise mightly fine models again. Something has to go wrong. Very poor QC.

EDIT - spelling of brake!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

So both rails and hattons full breaks lack the Ducket

Just when Hornby were producing what are otherwise mightly fine models again. Something has to go wrong. Very poor QC.

Definitely a shame. They have the team looking great again and they do that. Hopefully gets rectified fast.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hopefully gets rectified fast.

I can't see them doing anything about it and they won't have any spare duckets in the warehouse here.

20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I can't see them doing anything about it and they won't have any spare duckets in the warehouse here.

I mean basically the factory in China failed to either fit the parts (or possibly never prepared them in terms of not removing them from the sprue). Assuming Hornby didn't make an error in the the parts list and assembly instructions to their factory, the factory should at very least suppy the parts free to Hornby to enable them to be sent out to customers who are willing to fit their own. A more thorough solution would be sending the models back to China to have the parts added.

Hornby should be enforcing its contracts with its suppliers.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 3

I find it ironic that people are up in arms about the teak finish, yet completely ignore the errors in the actual shape of the coaches. Indeed some stating they were Hornbys best coaches. Hornby got the bodies horribly wrong, but seemingly that doesn't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

I find it ironic that people are up in arms about the teak finish, yet completely ignore the errors in the actual shape of the coaches. Indeed some stating they were Hornbys best coaches. Hornby got the bodies horribly wrong, but seemingly that doesn't matter. 

Hornby got the underframes horribly wrong in almost every major dimension bar length, even the bogies are wrong on the full brake. If they were locomotives the internet would shut down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Denbridge said:

It's a long while now since they were first launched, and if you can think back that far, even with their manifest faults they probably were "Hornby's best coaches" back then, certainly compared to the great majority of what had gone before.

Also, it takes someone with a degree of knowledge to recognise most of those faults; to >80% of modellers I would guess they either don't know or else they accept that, if they're wrong, at least they're consistently wrong and therefore don't stand out as such in normal 'layout' usage.  Whereas, whether the shape is correct or not, if the 'teak' finish plainly stands out as looking more like horrible Formica, then frankly no amount of tumblehome is going to make up for that, for anybody!

We can but hope that Hornby eventually get around to re-tooling them.  Meanwhile, though, if you want a R-T-R Gresley carriage and don't have the skills or confidence to modify the Hornby products, then I refer you to what the cowboy replied when his wife complained: "Honey, why d'ya keep goin' ter thet thar poker game at the Saloon every Friday when ya knows it's crooked?" ... "But sweetheart - it's the only game in Town!"

• Like 1