Latest Hornby teak coaches

Kestrel

6 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Three generations of Teak. 1st pic is the second run, E11000, 2nd is new Buffet 21611, 3rd is the original full brake 2426- with ducket! 

51322113-E9F8-452D-B11B-9C0939130B4D.jpeg

474773EB-BC2A-4B24-A8C0-8F8A7A1B30DD.jpeg

69EE8A6B-DF37-4DBA-821F-185B05408FF7.jpeg

FC0F887A-173F-4A6E-8E3D-964273AED010.jpeg

The bogies under the new bach of coaches (and indeed the pine finish) look wrong.

Only the buffet and sleepers should have the heavy duty bogies (two rows of rivets). The third and firsts should have the standard bogie (one row, as per the BG).

Another c*ck up from Hornby's factory failing to properly understand the different varients tooled up.

This is all rather disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I decided to get a couple more to build up my purchases from the first run of LNER teaks.  The LNER teaks are with their issues but still a handsome livery.   I have around fifteen of the BR teaks and cringe every time I look at them.  Whoever approved the livery for those is most likely long gone out of a sense of shame for such an act.

Just ordered one at £44 (the old price!), not paying any more given the bogie errors (and yes I know there are other errors with this model, but that doesn't justify further errors when they previously go this right). Hopefully Hornby can manufacture a batch of correct bogie frames...

3 hours ago, micklner said:

Bogie is X 9035 if you can find any. Much easier to cut the rivets off and ignore !!

Where can I find any? Hornby, Peters Spares and ACModels don't have stock.... any other pointers?

Its not just a case of cutting rivets off (I'm not that much of a rivet counter) the whole shape of the bogie is different, especially the front and rear cross members.

OK you only notice this when you are looking for it, and Hornby could have got away with tooling one bogie type. BUT they have two types and it is not excusable that they have used the wrong one having got it right in the past...

Hang on a minute, Hornby have never produced a Heavy duty bogie, have they? A standard bogie with two rows of rivets is not a heavy duty bogie, it's just something that Hornby have made up. I wonder why Hornby never looked at any of the plans for any of these carriages? Are they designed around a printing process? Perhaps the technology had moved on by the time the non gangway stock was introduced.

To be fare, Hornby have made a very good job of the standard 8'6'' bogie, I use them quite happily unless the 8'6'' heavy, the  8' heavy, 8' Fox or 8' light is required. As someone else has pointed out, why do the Hornby wheels have holes in them and why are they not  painted with teak centres and white tyres?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Headstock said:

Hang on a minute, Hornby have never produced a Heavy duty bogie, have they? A standard bogie with two rows of rivets is not a heavy duty bogie, it's just something that Hornby have made up. I wonder why Hornby never looked at any of the plans for any of these carriages? Are they designed around a printing process? Perhaps the technology had moved on by the time the non gangway stock was introduced.

To be fare, Hornby have made a very good job of the standard 8'6'' bogie, I use them quite happily unless the 8'6'' heavy, the  8' heavy, 8' Fox or 8' light is required. As someone else has pointed out, why do the Hornby wheels have holes in them and why are they not  painted with teak centres and white tyres?

My understanding is that there IS more difference than just two rows of rivets. The end cross members are thicker on the heavy duty bogie.

Having compared the two side by side, I do agree that the centre plating (between the two wheelsets) is not deeper on the heavy duty bogie than the standard bogie.

So Hornby's heavy duty bogie is something of a hybrid. Cutting the extra row of rivets off is therefore more acceptable.

34 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

My understanding is that there IS more difference than just two rows of rivets. The end cross members are thicker on the heavy duty bogie.

Having compared the two side by side, I do agree that the centre plating (between the two wheelsets) is not deeper on the heavy duty bogie than the standard bogie.

So Hornby's heavy duty bogie is something of a hybrid. Cutting the extra row of rivets off is therefore more acceptable.

Good morning G-BOAF,

sorry, I don't know your name.

For clarification, the 'end cross members' are the same on the two bogies, the main difference between Heavy and standard LNER 8'6'' double bolster bogies is the depth of the side frame casting. That on the Heavy bogie being about half as deep again as the standard bogie. Thus the bolsters are mostly hidden from view on the heavy type. See attached image below.

For further clarification, the type of BG produced by Hornby ran on 8' single bolster, Heavy duty bogies, a different type again from the two mentioned above.

8'6'' Standard and Heavy LNER double bolster bogie.jpg

Edited by Headstock
add space between text and image and correct know
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

18 hours ago, Headstock said:

. As someone else has pointed out, why do the Hornby wheels have holes in them and why are they not  painted with teak centres and white tyres?

Presumably penny pinching , as they use the same wheels on all of the Hornby Coaches  range? , I haven't checked as I only have LNER and Pullman versions, and they all the look the same to me.

• RMweb Gold
On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:41, micklner said:

If they all are missing the Ducket ?, MJT do a very cheap etch with the needed part, agreed you shouldn't have to do so !.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2817.php

Absolutely. At least if you go this route you don't have to worry about putting any graining on it. My retailer has said he will contact Hornby and get back to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Presumably penny pinching , as they use the same wheels on all of the Hornby Coaches  range? , I haven't checked as I only have LNER and Pullman versions, and they all the look the same to me.

Evening Mick,

they actually fitted the right wheels to the non gangway LNER carriages, no holes but no paint. They did have a couple of LNER carriage experts standing over their shoulders when they were produced, saying no to bobbing Giraffes, slab sides, rocket launchers, spoked wheels and tiny little stepboards.

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Evening Mick,

they actually fitted the right wheels to the non gangway LNER carriages, no holes but no paint. They did have a couple of LNER carriage experts standing over their shoulders when they were produced, saying no to bobbing Giraffes, slab sides, rocket launchers, spoked wheels and tiny little stepboards.

Non gangway with "right" wheels !! never even noticed !! cheers !

36 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Absolutely. At least if you go this route you don't have to worry about putting any graining on it. My retailer has said he will contact Hornby and get back to me.

Hornby painted the Ducket same brown as the sole bars , so even easier !!

11 hours ago, RAYTHEROCK said:

Wonder if there is any hope to see these in carmine/cream one bay?

For some reason or other the two tone version seems to me to make the errors on the general shape look worse.

I had one of the first issue and it lurks in a box some where as it just looks so wrong.

It might be an optical illusion with the teak grain disguising the slab sides.

Unless they retool or offer at a Railroad price I will avoid and I do not see either of those scenarios coming about.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

For some reason or other the two tone version seems to me to make the errors on the general shape look worse.

I had one of the first issue and it lurks in a box some where as it just looks so wrong.

It might be an optical illusion with the teak grain disguising the slab sides.

Unless they retool or offer at a Railroad price I will avoid and I do not see either of those scenarios coming about.

Bernard

I've got a couple in red/cream from the original batch and one thing that jars with me, is that the division between the red and the cream is too high.  I think this results from the middle row of horizontal beading being too high, so in order to fit the lettering (running numbers, but in particular "Buffet" and "Sleeping Car") within the red area they've had to extend the red upwards to the top row of horizontal beading.  In reality from pictures of these coaches in red/cream there is a clear area of cream below the upper horizontal beading.  I understand the models have since been altered so that the middle row of beading is now correctly lower, but I haven't got any of these (apart from maroon BGs) so I don't know whether the red/cream has been corrected on subsequent issues.

Could I ask this learned forum please. I purchased a Gresley Full Brake in teak and on arrival it appears the guards ducket is missing. Or am I mistaken? Being western orientated, this is my first and only LNER piece of passenger rolling stock so not 100% certain. I’ve looked at photos on here, various shop images and even photos of the full brake in the SVR rake.

All help gratefully received.

384EF0C1-22D4-4905-A1D3-F71B1B4E9A8E.jpeg