Latest Hornby teak coaches

Kestrel

• RMweb Gold
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:01, gwrrob said:

Absolutely. At least if you go this route you don't have to worry about putting any graining on it. My retailer has said he will contact Hornby and get back to me.

A follow up reply from John in the Hornby customer care dept.

Dear Sir

We are very sorry your product as the missing guards ducket.

we are currently trying to arrange a delivery of these and will place in the post asap on arrival.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A follow up reply from John in the Hornby customer care dept.

Dear Sir

We are very sorry your product as the missing guards ducket.

we are currently trying to arrange a delivery of these and will place in the post asap on arrival.

Great news

Surely it would be more prudent of stores selling these coaches to be the ones involved in contacting the purchasers of said product.  Other than those who have read this thread,  in reality,  will many purchasers even notice the missing ducket?    This will become another calamity like the suburban B type coach released with B4 bogies.  Even after the mistake was made known and Hornby made available replacement correct bogies,  numerous stores were still selling the cars with the incorrect bogies fitted.  I would have liked another full brake but given the chance (100% certainty) that it will come with the ducket missing,  then I will pass on the opportunity to buy another.

Edited by GWR-fan
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Surely it would be more prudent of stores selling these coaches to be the ones involved in contacting the purchasers of said product.  Other than those who have read this thread,  in reality,  will many purchasers even notice the missing ducket?    This will become another calamity like the suburban B type coach released with B4 bogies.  Even after the mistake was made known and Hornby made available replacement correct bogies,  numerous stores were still selling the cars with the incorrect bogies fitted.  I would have liked another full brake but given the chance (100% certainty) that it will come with the ducket missing,  then I will pass on the opportunity to buy another.

Hornby have said they are aware and will have the duckets arriving with them soon. All you would have to do is contact them and they would send one out free of charge. 

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hornby have said they are aware and will have the duckets arriving with them soon. All you would have to do is contact them and they would send one out free of charge. 

Yes,  but my point is that firstly Hornby is not aware of who purchased the car and secondly who would notice that the item was missing?   In time to come many cars will be still missing the ducket and a spare part will not be available.  Hornby,  unlike the suburban B coach bogie issue,  need to be proactive rather than simply relying on customers to contact them for a replacement part.   Those who sold the cars, dealers, should be a point of contact as most likely they have contact details for those purchasers.  Hornby is taking the easy way out for their QC blunder.

I have purchased a composite brake coach and until it arrives I will not know if it too will be missing the ducket.

1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

Those who sold the cars, dealers, should be a point of contact as most likely they have contact details for those purchasers. 

I can't help but think that (a) retailers may be limited in what information they have, especially B&M POS, and (b) this would add a lot of work to retailers, often working on wafer-thin margins, for something that is not of their doing.

Instead, Hornby could be more proactive in reaching out to customers via retail outlets and magazines etc.

Edited by truffy
Clarification: in this instance, POS means point of sale, not piece of ****

Given that the ducket is most likely part of a parts sprue and not a standalone item,  those awaiting a replacement part will need to be extremely patient.  A normal production run will see all parts needed to complete the run before any assembly takes place.  Now either the sprue part with the ducket was missed in the initial sourcing of parts or an assembly line worker was not trained as to the fitment of the part.  To produce the sprue containing the ducket will require a one off run of parts.  Hornby will need await a timeslot on the production floor to produce the part then arrange shipment.  A cynic will view Hornby's reaction as simply a token gesture as they know full well that the demand for the part will not be as high as the production run and most likely total only a couple of hundred requests if that.  They will view it as a storm in a teacup.

21 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

A cynic will view Hornby's reaction as simply a token gesture as they know full well that the demand for the part will not be as high as the production run and most likely total only a couple of hundred requests if that.  They will view it as a storm in a teacup.

Given the relative profile of the teak finish, and how much has gone into getting it right (tumblehome notwithstanding), it would take a true cynic to see this as nothing more than a storm in a teacup.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, truffy said:

Given the relative profile of the teak finish, and how much has gone into getting it right (tumblehome notwithstanding), it would take a true cynic to see this as nothing more than a storm in a teacup.

It is Hornby who will view this as a storm in a teacup as the demand for a replacement part will be small as apart from information in a forum or two will the general buying public know that the part is missing?

It is good of Hornby to be responsive. I doubt they would produce parts for 100% of the batch, but to make it available for those who want is good customer service.

Refitting to all the coaches in stock would require an expensive recall (although depending on who is to blame, maybe the manufacturer should be paying). I blieve for Royal Observer Corps they only fitted replacement tenders to models they still had in stock.

Edited by G-BOAF

2 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Given that the ducket is most likely part of a parts sprue and not a standalone item,  those awaiting a replacement part will need to be extremely patient.  A normal production run will see all parts needed to complete the run before any assembly takes place.  Now either the sprue part with the ducket was missed in the initial sourcing of parts or an assembly line worker was not trained as to the fitment of the part.  To produce the sprue containing the ducket will require a one off run of parts.  Hornby will need await a timeslot on the production floor to produce the part then arrange shipment.  A cynic will view Hornby's reaction as simply a token gesture as they know full well that the demand for the part will not be as high as the production run and most likely total only a couple of hundred requests if that.  They will view it as a storm in a teacup.

Or the factory have a large box of the Duckets already, and they are in the post.:rolleyes:

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

It is not inconceivable that the duckets were on a sprue of their own, and whoever sorted out the tooling

to produce another batch left the ducket tool behind, so those assembling the models had no idea that 

a part of the model was missing. 

3 hours ago, micklner said:

Or the factory have a large box of the Duckets already, and they are in the post.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2019 at 12:10, G-BOAF said:

It is good of Hornby to be responsive. I doubt they would produce parts for 100% of the batch, but to make it available for those who want is good customer service.

Refitting to all the coaches in stock would require an expensive recall (although depending on who is to blame, maybe the manufacturer should be paying). I blieve for Royal Observer Corps they only fitted replacement tenders to models they still had in stock.

They replaced them to people who bought them and out in the wilderness too.

the tender replacement was a much bigger issue than the ducket, as it required painting, lining and all the detailing...

A Ducket is just that, a single piece, not even sure if its painted.

I spoke to Simon about the teaks at the Kernow openday, iirc he said it took two years to get the new factory to get the new run perfect, and required over 90 print operations... that requires dedications of a saint.. not a cynic. I’d imagine he was wringing his head on hearing of the ducket.

So credit where its due in jumping on the issue, but hearing that story it doesnt surprise me they are all over it, getting it sorted... Since I heard that story I have a greater appreciation for the effort thats gone into making them, at a price 2.5x less than the pixelated printing of another recently made “teak” coach which should/shouldnt have had lining made by another manufacturer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These are the brake ends of the previous and new Hornby composite brakes.

IMG_0372.jpg.153a25ea2d27ef05006f94ec6fe08848.jpg

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but I think the lack of tumblehome looks a little better disguised on the new one, on right.

Edited by Dominion
new on right
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I think there may have been a slight tweaking of the tooling. There is a definite difference on both sides of the ends. The bufferbeam extends out by a mm or two on either side on the new one. The old one doesn’t. 

FAB5A183-6DA0-464E-BA41-69967D14B9DC.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I think there may have been a slight tweaking of the tooling. There is a definite difference on both sides of the ends. The bufferbeam extends out by a mm or two on either side on the new one. The old one doesn’t. 

FAB5A183-6DA0-464E-BA41-69967D14B9DC.jpeg

Hilux, the close up crop you did of my photo made me check again. The buffer beam overhang you highlighted was only on that side as the body and chassis were not perfectly centred. Once I corrected that, the relationship between the body and buffer beam looks like the previous model, and there is definitely not an overhang.

Mick, I measured the ends of the 2 versions and cannot measure a meaningful difference, either at the maximum width, nor the bottom edge. Also the height difference in my photo is just the way they were sitting.

The end still looks a little better to me though. I wonder if it is just the lining.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Dominion said:

Hilux, the close up crop you did of my photo made me check again. The buffer beam overhang you highlighted was only on that side as the body and chassis were not perfectly centred. Once I corrected that, the relationship between the body and buffer beam looks like the previous model, and there is definitely not an overhang.

Mick, I measured the ends of the 2 versions and cannot measure a meaningful difference, either at the maximum width, nor the bottom edge. Also the height difference in my photo is just the way they were sitting.

The end still looks a little better to me though. I wonder if it is just the lining.

I believe ?, for the coach to have the correct Tumblehome is should have a inward curve of  3 inches = 1mm in 4mm scale, even 0.5mm would make a difference to the the look . Hornby maybe have been very clever with the shape of the lining on the outer edge ? , it looks like the Tumblehome curve is better on the latest version , perhaps  it is a trick of the eye?.

This version has a much better finish, than the previous god awful MFI Pine effort !!.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1