Latest Hornby teak coaches

Kestrel

• RMweb Premium

The R4598, R4599, R4600, R4601 four coaches all have the backward step in graining and look very poor compared to earlier releases. Oddly the R4602 sleeper released at the same time has nice graining like all the earlier coaches and looks fine. My theory at the time was perhaps they may have been left over shells from earlier print runs of the sleeper bodies. 

All the other 61’6” coaches I have seen have very effective graining. I think I have seen them all except the recent R1252 Nigel Gresley set. 

I think the first release had the graining on the doors going in the wrong direction. I am pretty sure that was fixed on the “b”versions onwards and may also have been fixed on the “a” versions too.  If you are looking at a specific coach feel free to pm me and I would be happy to look at my version. 

They all have the deficient tumblehome though as far as I can tell. It looks slightly less obvious on the full brakes for some reason, so I often end a rake with those if I have a reasonable excuse.

I don’t know the suburbans in as much detail. Tom

Edited by Dominion
Fully writing Rnumbers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tom,

I was asking because Hattons has a couple of R4174c for sale (secondhand) and it can be the lighting, but I wasn't convinced of the quality.

The R1252 set teaks look very good to me, that's why I'm looking around to expand it. I was hoping to find R2888m somewhere, but no succes so far. 

Regards,

Johan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Johan, 1319 in the middle, 1149 (A release) to the left, 1317 (B release) to the right.

The graining on all 3 looks good to me. I think you will be able to zoom in on the picture. If not let me know.

PS When I zoom in to this post on my phone I can see the grain in detail, better than on my lap top for some reason.

IMG_3468.jpg.241a61e21bdf628277603ed2fef9a8f4.jpg

Edited by Dominion
Added PS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1