Latest Hornby teak coaches

Kestrel

Tumblehome noted, but I guess it is a good as we are going to get. I would jump at amended tooling which rectifies this, but I can't see it happening for many years. In the mean time, a decent teak finish is preferable to awful teak AND odd body shape.

Effectively it would need to sides tooled and a new underframe and underframe truss tooled (everything else would be fine). A not inconsiderable exercise by Hornby in their present financial and managerial state.

The Full Brake however is much better (combined with being slightly narrower as per brake vehicles). Not perfect, but better (especially given I paid £25 for it from Signalbox! - not only the cheapest Gresley Teak, but also the most teaky!). With this at one end, and a Thompson CL at the other, the visual impact of the end profile of the Gresleys is much reduced on the layout :-p

It's unhelpful to compare Hornby's Teak Gresleys with Bachmann's Thompsons: steel coaches painted a teak colour with fake grain.

Not sure what you mean about 'unhelpful' when there should have been no difference between a real varnished teak coach and one with hand created imitation teak. This was evident before the war  on the 'Alpax' and steel panelled Gresley coaches. Quite apart from imitating the grain and texture of the wood, the outlines and shading on the tradition raised mouldings were also reproduced.

On the subject of tumblehome and overwide underframe, Hornby has pretty well crapped in the nest now for Gresley corridor coaches unless another manufacturer jumps in and produces a range. If they do, then I suggest the so-far untouched 1930's style with end doors.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Morning Mick,

not an exaggeration at all, I challenge you to find a modern 4 mm British steam outline carriage that is worse in it its accuracy, you won't find one. With regard to the underframe it is about 3.5 mm too wide, meaning that Hornby can not correct the tumbelhome without the sole bars sticking out beyond the carriage sides. I might make mention of the queen post that are too close together, or the stunted gangways that don't even reach the carriage roofs, I could go on. People may like them but popularity doesn't equate with a good model.

You always drag out the old Kirks as an example for comparison, forget them. A better choice would be with the excellent MJT  and Kemilway kits that are very much competitive price wise. Admittedly you get more carriage from Hornby but that is because they have made them so fat. I would add that the situation with the BG is even worse as these carriages were noticeably narrower than the standard passenger stock, something Hornby has ignored in order to fit the body on to the over wide underframe.

Sorry your "argument" does'nt hold up.

The Gresley's are not modern standards, they are the current Hornby offering being the design being at least ten years old ,when compared with current new r.t.r yes they have their faults as does all r.t.r when looked at closely enough. The floorpan is 3.5mm too wide 9 inches in real terms. Ok shouldn't be like that , but Hornby obviously aren't going to anything about any time soon. The reason I compare them with Kirk kits because they are the only ones made the same material being plastic. Any decent well designed etched kit will always be more precise in size and looks compared to any r.tr. product .

Kemilway ? no idea if you can still get them, I waited 2 year for a TPO from him to arrive, I wouldn't use him again.

MJT yes lovely kits , I have just priced a kit it up, parts alone in the region of £75 plus wheels paint etc, not far off £100 ,double the cost of the current Hornby. Then you have to build it and paint. Professional build at a guess £250 to £300 on top of the kit price.

Edited by micklner
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have shown time and time again the 'short-cut' of removing Hornby sides and gluing etched sides to the roof. That amounts to the cost of a Hornby Gresley and around £15.00 for a pair of etched sides. Painting & lining them will be the bugbear for many people though. When it comes to etched sides, there are easy and there are over-complicated. There are also some with faults like over-width lower body beading and others with incorrect proportions of panelling and doors, so be aware.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Morning Mick,

not an exaggeration at all, I challenge you to find a modern 4 mm British steam outline carriage that is worse in it its accuracy, you won't find one. With regard to the underframe it is about 3.5 mm too wide, meaning that Hornby can not correct the tumbelhome without the sole bars sticking out beyond the carriage sides. I might make mention of the queen post that are too close together, or the stunted gangways that don't even reach the carriage roofs, I could go on. People may like them but popularity doesn't equate with a good model.

You always drag out the old Kirks as an example for comparison, forget them. A better choice would be with the excellent MJT  and Kemilway kits that are very much competitive price wise. Admittedly you get more carriage from Hornby but that is because they have made them so fat. I would add that the situation with the BG is even worse as these carriages were noticeably narrower than the standard passenger stock, something Hornby has ignored in order to fit the body on to the over wide underframe.

Sorry your "argument" does'nt hold up.

The Gresley's are not modern standards, they are the current Hornby offering being the design being at least ten years old ,when compared with current new r.t.r yes they have their faults as does all r.t.r when looked at closely enough. The floorpan is 3.5mm too wide 9 inches in real terms. Ok shouldn't be like that , but Hornby obviously aren't going to anything about any time soon. The reason I compare them with Kirk kits because they are the only ones made the same material being plastic. Any decent well designed etched kit will always be more precise in size and looks compared to any r.tr. product .

Kemilway ? no idea if you can still get them, I waited 2 year for a TPO from him to arrive, I wouldn't use him again.

MJT yes lovely kits , I have just priced a kit it up, parts alone in the region of £75 plus wheels paint etc, not far off £100 ,double the cost of the current Hornby. Then you have to build it and paint. Professional build at a guess £250 to £300 on top of the kit price.

I think that it dose, the MJT range adopt a moulder approach that allows the customer to tailor the cost to their needs. An all the bells and whistles approach as you have costed still produces a beautiful scale model rather than an expensive cartoon. If plastic is your thing, how about the very nice Slimrails BY, a snip at £17.50 with wheels included (cheaper still depending on who you buy it from). It certainly puts the big boys offering to shame.

I take your point about building and painting things, its such an inconvenient part of a modelling hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

We're talking about how bad the Hornby teaks are. Has anybody seen the Dapol N gauge ones? With a bit of luck you won't see the fault because of their size but that apart, they are awful. Just click on each pic and blow it up.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106036127529689486079/album/AF1QipOq1xWYWOzqAmxLwhKisSvdZabCp_3ePEUFptD1

Edited by Kestrel

We're talking about how bad the Hornby teaks are. Has anybody seen the Dapol N gauge ones? With a bit of luck you won't see the fault because of their size but that apart, they are awful. Just click on each pic and blow it up.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106036127529689486079/album/AF1QipOq1xWYWOzqAmxLwhKisSvdZabCp_3ePEUFptD1

They look bloody amazing to me considering they are 2mm scale.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What's the issue with them ?

You can still read the lettering on the under frame !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ah... See what you mean now. The main panels are one colour, the beading is lined, and the rest of the coach is another colour completely. The tops of the doors especially stand out.

Not specifically, the different panels, no matter their location on the vehicle could vary in shade, but would generally be in a similar condition as the vanishing process would likely be done atvthe same time per carriage as it was/is a long involved operation. The age and shade of the panels beneath could of course vary, causing a contrast in shade.

The main differences you'd notice from a distance are in the overall tone of each carriage in a rake. Those that have been out if the shops longer would generally be darker than those with a fresher finish on them.

In model form, on factory printed carriages, very light washes of brown shades can be used to reproduce this effect.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

When fresh out of the shops a lot of the panels would have been 'matched' or from the same source.

After a few year service they would then be 'bleached' to lighten them and remove the dirt and soot. This can change the colour of seemingly identical panels hence the patchwork look.

• Informative/Useful 1

attachicon.gifP1140191.JPGThe London Olympics train pack contained just the Gresley teaks I was looking for.

Teak livery in early BR days, with grey roofs. But shock / horror at the price, for a set

with an ancient loco, no track and no controller.

Then utopia !, at Warley in 2013, at trader had split the set and the teaks were £29.50 each !

a real bargain.

I agree the livery application on these early teaks was exquisite, Hornby have never bettered it.

Note however the gangway height still doesn't line up with Bachmann's new Thompsons.

apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but are the gresleys too low or the thompsons too high ?

Edited by sidmouth

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all

I'm wanting to add end doors to my Gresley Coaches (running with two Brake Comps with Horseboxes between as seen in a photo I have). I believe the Hornby gangways are too wide. Does anyone produce an end door suitable?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom, I usually replace the Hornby gangways with MJT ones which are narrower and taller, and I think improve the end aspect of the coaches.  The MJT gangways do represent gangways with the end shields fitted which is fine if the coach is at the end of the train, and when coupled to other coaches is invisible anyway.  The Hornby ones are as you say, too wide and the wrong shape IMHO, and also lack any representation of the canvas top cover.  I add the top cover to the MJT ones using a strip of tissue paper painted matt black

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Tom, I usually replace the Hornby gangways with MJT ones which are narrower and taller, and I think improve the end aspect of the coaches.  The MJT gangways do represent gangways with the end shields fitted which is fine if the coach is at the end of the train, and when coupled to other coaches is invisible anyway.  The Hornby ones are as you say, too wide and the wrong shape IMHO, and also lack any representation of the canvas top cover.  I add the top cover to the MJT ones using a strip of tissue paper painted matt black

Cheers Steve. Do you have any photos?

I'll look to pick some up at Scale Four North, are you going?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom,

Here's a couple I did several years ago - I might take a bit more care with the weathering these days!

post-31-0-80139100-1522964116.jpg

Don't think I'll be able to make it to Scale Four North this time, unfortunately.

• Like 4

Thanks Steve

I've removed a gangway just to see how things look. Those holes are going to be a pain to patch up in teak livery.
post-24300-0-38505000-1523014303_thumb.jpeg

Still thinking what to do on this one. Might be easy to just fabricate a door end, after all I'm not going to need to run it with another coach.

Thanks Steve

I've removed a gangway just to see how things look. Those holes are going to be a pain to patch up in teak livery.

attachicon.gifends.jpeg

Still thinking what to do on this one. Might be easy to just fabricate a door end, after all I'm not going to need to run it with another coach.

Glue a 5thou plastikard patch over the lot as per the green area before attaching your scale width corridor connection...

post-6680-0-15190300-1523024196.jpeg

Edited by coachmann

Thanks Larry

Would you suggest brush painting the 5 thou plasticard with humbrol 9? Worked a treat on patching Hornby teaks for renumbering many moons ago on your suggestion.