Latest Hornby teak coaches

Kestrel

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, resin001 said:

Missing ducket arrived in the post this morning- thanks Hornby

Yes, mine has come too. Well played Hornby.

Edited by gwrrob
no text
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Anyone have a picture of the ducket moulding pre-fitting. I'm curious as to what the moulding looks like and how it interfaces with the glazing. Just curiosity.

If no one else does it I’ll post one tomorrow.

10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

If no one else does it I’ll post one tomorrow.

Not the ducket am afraid as mine is fitted. I enquired with Rails originally and they were a bit confused but once they understood its has all been sorted. My ducket came direct from Hornby even though Rails resolved the issue. Can’t fault Rails or Hornby as I got an apology written on the compliments slip from them.

Be careful fitting the ducket as the securing clip on the piece is very fine. Sorry no photo, it’s now fitted.

PS couldn’t turn the photos before fitting round.

A42AAD4F-BE96-401B-8886-8DD4B759ABD0.jpeg

Edited by ndg910

• 2 weeks later...

My composite brake coach arrived today complete with ducket,  but unfortunately glued in position with about a 15 degree downward slope.  Unbelievable for an expensive coach that Hornby apparently invested a lot of time in getting just right.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m ashamed to say I didn’t notice the missing ducket when I bought my Full Brake last month in a model shop. Perhaps it was ‘ducket-side-down’.

Checked it after reading this thread and sure enough, it was absent.C69F385D-8315-4856-9A4B-42724005BBE5.jpeg.9cee41facc8477c63a5524f0feeefebf.jpeg

Rattled off an email to Hornby, received a swift and polite reply, and had the part sent out first class for free. Snapped right into place.

BEB6CD4F-0C8B-4A0F-8C70-A68CEAD9D082.jpeg.ca9c9fda4af6d08b7fdcb3e465680626.jpeg

I agree it’s an unfortunate oversight but credit where credit’s due, I’m impressed with Hornby’s service rectifying it. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The original problem was only on the full brake. The brake composites were fine.

Also I just bought another full brake and Hornby had installed the ducket already before sending new stock to the retailer. So I think there is a very good chance that if you buy one now from a retailer the issue will have been resolved already. Tom

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AlexHolt said:

So I went to go and order some only to find that since asking the question in the earlier post all of the third class coaches have sold out everywhere I've looked. Still plenty of the first, buffet and brakes around though, but thats not really any use for making a set.

Are Hornby doing another run of these? Or is it a case of now they've sold there won't be more.

They can still be preordered on Hattons so I would imagine another run will be forthcoming 

• 4 weeks later...

Nabbed a couple of firsts and a brake composite from Rails last week and they arrived today. I can hardly say I know these coaches inside out (in fact I'm not even sure I've ever seen one in the flesh, actually), but I must say I am very impressed and that's good enough for me! :D20200217234509_IMG_7832-01.jpeg

IMG_7842-01.jpeg

• Like 9

On 18/02/2020 at 19:25, Willie Whizz said:

That edition of the teak finish looks rather better than the "Formica-effect" version I got from Locomotion a couple of years back ...

Yes I remember looking at the previous model and thinking they looked quite off in terms of the wood effect. Took them down to the club last night along with 4468, they blended in quite nicely with 1950s France :wub:

IMG_20200221_221003780-01.jpeg.42880b8a22539ae0dd8167910a86a745.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

Have you varnished them or is that how they come?

Nope, apart from fitting the supplied close couplers (Fleischmann "harpoon" type), they're straight out of the box. They went down a treat and everyone came to take a close look at my "strange wooden coaches"! (:angry:)

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've searched back through this and another topic which might have answered a question I have, but without success.  I have the Corridor full brake coach, complete with duckets, but find that when coupled behind the loco in a six coach train it occasionally  derails at a particular point  on my layout. As it consistently runs fine at the tail of the same train over the same track, I've concluded it needs some additional ballast to stabilise it.

There would seem to be ample space within the coach body to add some weight, but the question is:- How to get inside ? 

I've looked all around the bottom of the coach and at the roof area, but can't find a join or seam to try to prise open.  I  know I've read of unorthodox construction of these coach bodies in the distant past, but would have thought there'd be a way to open them up.

Apologies if this has been raised before, but does anyone know how to open the coach body without resorting to a razor saw?   

Thanks in anticipation of helpful suggestions,

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

There are 2 or 4 clear plastic clips along each side.

Start with the clear plastic clips at one end and unclip and put a piece of plastic in to stop it clipping back in. Then slide along the body, levering the body out slightly and it will disengage.

It gets easier after the first time. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Hilux5972,

I investigated this afternoon and found the clips cunningly concealed by the bogie frames at either end. I've managed to remove the body shell, so will plan the best means of adding some weight at either end this evening. I'll also remove the bogies and check for any other possible causes of derailments, though I've already confirmed that the wheel back to backs and axle bearings are ok and the track doesn't cause any other stock a problem where this randomly occurs.

I see what you mean when you say it will be easier to remove the body in future if necessary, only three plastic clips to disengage now, as one of the four inevitably snapped during the operation. No point in trying to stick it back in place as a joint could never be strong or flexible enough.

Cheers,

John

• Funny 1

I have 'a rake' of these, some 'excellent used' ones, for a reasonable price.

One thing I've noticed is that those 'used' ones must have been in service for some considerable time / pin-pointed axles are very close to the bogie ...

Bottom line is I had to 'adjust' a few axles to ensure they were free-running through pin-point wear - easier option to replacing with bearing cups, but was unexpected.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...