problem with Slaters wheels for a Class 08

michl080

greetings,

I am building a MMP Class 08 kit and am running into a problem with the Slaters wheels. If I try to push the wheels onto the axles, they get stuck quite quickly. I don't want to push them too hard, because I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to remove them again. I would need to push them some 4mm on either side to the shoulders of the axle. This seems very odd. If I try to measure the diameters, The conical hole in the wheels is at least 0.1mm too small. A force fit with 0.1mm interference seems too much. Any idea? Should I try to push them further using vice?

post-32589-0-07041600-1517170499_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michl080

Hi,

no reply so far, so I will answer my own question:

In between, I contacted Slaters and asked how to proceed. I got a nice reply from David White with a good description how to push the wheels onto the axles.

I followed his advice and managed to get the wheel successfully onto the axle.

imag08314ks3n.jpg

However, as you can see, it requires a massive force that is applied perfectly in line with the axle to avoid bending the axle or resulting in a wobbling wheel.

The trick is to use a piece of matching tube to push only the bush, but not the plastic wheel.

I recommend to use a tube cutter for the pushing tube. Cutting the tube with a saw will probably result in a cut that is not exactly perpendicular and will push the wheel unevenly.

I couldn't apply enough force with the handle of the vice, so I had to use pipe wrench for the last Millimeter. It is definitely necessary to apply a good grease to lower the friction.

Funny enough, I could get the wheel off quite easily after pushing it on and it could be reassembled a lot easier, so I assume that the bush has been slightly extended at the first assembly.

Maybe somebody will have the same problem and stumble over this description.

Michael

• Like 1