Original LNWR Siemens EMU

Thought I should start a fresh thread on the original Siemens EMU built for the LNWR.

I have copies of the original drawings, and there are plenty of photos of them after they moved out of London, but only a few in LNWR(official ones), and as far as I can tell, none in LMS days. Given they were not mothballed till the end of the 30s, this is surprising.

The early photos appear to march the drawings, but apart from the obvious(and well photographed) modifications done to the motor coaches when they moved north, I notice some of the smaller differences(eg roof vents), and am trying to find out when these were changed. There might have been changes to interior(which would affect positions of roof vents).

I am currently working on a design for a Siemens EMU for 3D printing, and want to do versions suitable for all periods when they were running.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you referring to the 'Lindbergs' on Merseyside?..... They looked like the GEC compartment units! :-)

The Siemens units were used on the Earls Court services and were an early casualty to other forms of commuter traffic. The LMS put them in store as noted by Simon. BR rebuilt them into AC overhead units and ran them on the Lancaster, Morecombe and Heysham  services in the late 50s early 60s.

The Siemens units were used on the Earls Court services and were an early casualty to other forms of commuter traffic. The LMS put them in store as noted by Simon. BR rebuilt them into AC overhead units and ran them on the Lancaster, Morecombe and Heysham  services in the late 50s early 60s.

Thank you for the clarification! :-)

The connection between the West London Line and the H&C was bomb damaged and never restored. there were various bits of bomb damage on the WLL, I've recently read a book on Bomb Damage to London's Railways, an interesting if somewhat heavy tome. It surprised me how quickly "they" got things running after quite serious damage in those days.

• RMweb Premium

The connection between the West London Line and the H&C was bomb damaged and never restored. there were various bits of bomb damage on the WLL, I've recently read a book on Bomb Damage to London's Railways, an interesting if somewhat heavy tome. It surprised me how quickly "they" got things running after quite serious damage in those days.

Have you got more details of the book? It sounds interesting and I feel like tracking down a copy.

Ithink that link, is just where the road up from Shepards Bush goes under the H&C line. looking on Google map and I think part of the bridge at end of Latimor Road station still exists.

I have a couple of the Middleton books, but not te one on the West London line. Might check that out.

There was also another line coming off the WLL, closed in 1916.

Much of the area around there was bomb damaged. My father grew up round there, and descrbed one night when a blast resulted in an old grandfather clock falling down stairs. It never worked again, despite out attempts to get it working. Just one of those childhood memories. More recently it is noted that Grenfell tower is only a few yards from the junction,and  towerblocks dominate the skyline now.

just got the Middleton book on WLR, unfortunately no photos of siemens stock. Now understand how the different lines worked. Pity the whole electrified route north of Kensington was abandoned after the bomb damage to the link, but it shows the LNWR trains were not able to continue on the Willesden trains after that, for some other reason. With only 4 complete trains, not a big service, probably more dependent on the connecting trains to Paddington.