paulbb

• RMweb Premium

Found somebody who'd seen it at the Southampton show. Thought it was very good.

Edit: somebody else said it was excellent; highly recommended.

Edited by NCB

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I never modelled TT back in the days of Tri-ang, in fact I've never modelled in 3mm at all except back in 2011 I built a retro TT layout for Twickenham MRC's 50th anniversary show. The idea was to recreate a 1961 'kitchen table' layout and show what modelling was like at the time the club was formed.

I have recently dug it out and will be showing at the SW Herts exhibition this Saturday. What has amazed me is that I have literally  not touched it for 8 years and without even cleaning the track or the locos it ran perfectly. Yes, without cleaning the steel rails for eight years the locos ran round very nicely. Here's a photo - everything you see with the exception of the tea cup is permanently glued in position. All I need to do is set the board up on a table, put the drape round and plug in - job done!

DSC_0032.JPG.9acbe0e3ef0a937de0d0281cd680ae6d.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Great thing about Triang TT is it works and it's fun.  I never had any of the original Triang TT although was envious of it, much easier to do something in small spaces. Eventually I started at the scale end of 3mm/ft, but over the last few years, out of interest really, have been buying bits of Triang. The first thing was a Jinty. The wheels were covered in a sort of gunge, but it ran first time.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I still think TT could make a comeback... just not sure how. 

If you include kitbuilding and scratchbuilding, the long history of the 3mm Society is ample evidence that it never went away. There are plenty people doing their own thing.

But I assume you mean ready-to-run? Continental TT is alive and well, and there is a fledgling market for American TT. The subject of reviving British TT, whether in 3mm scale or in 1:120, has been flogged to death over the years and there are no indications that it's going to happen, short of some rich entrepreneur enthusiast throwing heaps of money at it. The markets for N and OO are far too entrenched.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My old TT layout around 1969. I still have the loco's & stock though the track / points is virtually worn out. All packed away now.

2013-01-15-16-13-33.jpg.716f936a94ca1cbd157b6a2c2dec06bf.jpg

Wonderful stuff was Tri-ang TT back then.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hornby (Simon Kohler) did take a look at it a few years ago. I had a feeling they weren't looking at it in the right sort of way. It needs a company willing to start small and produce say a couple of locomotives and a few coaches, and a few wagons although the 3mm Society wagon kits are a vast resource there. Peco HOm track could be used. It's not really Hornby or Bachmann territory, Dapol is more likely, willing to take a punt on a limited range of products as they did in O Gauge. It's the sort of project which could attract sales because the scale is ideal for doing stuff in moderate areas and people could do it as a secondary project just to try it out, even if they have other interests.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 07/03/2020 at 07:59, class37418stag said:

Hello everyone 

please excuse my English 

I want know estimate price for KAYS catalogue Golden TT Gauge Train Set produced by Triang gold metal plated clan line locomotive and tender and three gold metal plated coaches unboxed

86F1030A-3378-4BC6-9958-6511B465171D.jpeg

This is the result of a bet, unbelievably, that they could sell 500 of these sets ready for Christmas 1961.

You mention the items are unboxed, but photo shows them in carded set form. Have you tried contacting the 3mm Society?  

• 2 weeks later...

These are very sort after and a boxed mint set could fetch £1k if there is such a set still in existence.  However, in reasonable to good condition one could pay anywhere between £450 - £750.

Anyone interested in my book 'Tri-ang TT Railways' I still have a about 100 copies left out of 750 originally published. The price is now £15.99 plus £4.00 P&P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My father brought home a whole load of Triang TT and I built a layout and ran it for some years my locos I can remember were a Jinty and a Castle.TT had not been on the market long and I enjoyed running it and the buildings were excellent.I have seen several Triang layouts at exhibitions and they always are pleasing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Until about 20 minutes ago I had no idea Tri-ang produced its TT BR Mark 1 coaches in blue/grey livery.........

https://elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?pg=new

.......and something (££) tells me there were not many made!

Odd that the restaurant car got a red cantrail stripe but the composite had its yellow stripe applied at waist level........and from end to end!

Edit - it's not actually a corridor composite (CK) - looks  like an FO, in which case the full yellow stripe would be correct, just in the wrong position.

Edited by Halvarras
Took a second look.....