White/Blue Refurbished DMU livery

bennyboy

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

That cab front is a bit battered, and the former four character headcode box has a piece of plywood in it.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

A lot of Newton Heath based units had a ding in the that similar position as the derby 108 in the photograph, I have no idea what caused the damage. Someone must know how or what caused the dent.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Rob,

A lot of Newton Heath based units had a ding in the that similar position as the derby 108 in the photograph, I have no idea what caused the damage. Someone must know how or what caused the dent.

Gibbo.

For many years I often wondered the same thing, although I thought it was sets based at Longsight that had it but I'm no expert on these things. I'm glad that Gibbo has mentioned it as I thought I was the only one who noticed it. Anyway, I was once told that some idiot who lived near the depot (which ever one it was) use to pepper the front panel with an air rifle. Don't know if this was true or a cover story/railway myth but the info did come off a driver I use to know.

Some of the damage certainly looked like air rifle marks when seen close up so who knows. Shame because it always looked a mess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've read before that the cab-front dent could be caused by the air pipe flying up if it was disconnected before the cock was shut - don't know if that's true though.

The air-rifle theory could certainly explain the broken glass in the headcode box!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, keefer said:

I've read before that the cab-front dent could be caused by the air pipe flying up if it was disconnected before the cock was shut - don't know if that's true though.

To be honest it seems more believable than an air rifle causing that amount of damage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Wadsley Bridge 1978

Interesting picture, I was struck by the disused (gas?) lamps, the modern replacements, the DMU and the distinctive OHLE of the Woodhead route.  According to the disused stations site, regular passenger traffic was withdrawn in 1959, but it does mention occasional football specials.  Was this 1978 DMU on a football special, or was it just passing through on the way to somewhere else?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Interesting picture, I was struck by the disused (gas?) lamps, the modern replacements, the DMU and the distinctive OHLE of the Woodhead route.  According to the disused stations site, regular passenger traffic was withdrawn in 1959, but it does mention occasional football specials.  Was this 1978 DMU on a football special, or was it just passing through on the way to somewhere else?

From the Flickr page...

"A Sheffield Midland to Huddersfield train passes through Wadsley Bridge station on 16 September 1978. At this time this service was routed via the former GC line through Sheffield Victoria to Penistone. Wadsley Bridge station closed to regular traffic on 15 June 1959, however it remained in use for football specials for matches at Hillsborough with some service trains also calling on match days."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Interesting . I never realised single units got the refurb livery .

Only 55034 and trailer 56283 were painted white/blue.

The rest were blue/grey when refurbished.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 12/05/2020 at 08:39, stewartingram said:

An early refurb if I remember correctly? 56073 / 51442, Huntingdon, 12-03-1978.

Stewart

07_101_0001_56073+51442 Huntingdon 12-03-1978...jpg

56073 refurbished August 1976

51442 refurbished November 1976.

Both of these were Neville Hill allocated when done, but transferred to Cambridge.

The very first Metro Cammell vehicles to be refurbished, for example 

51230_1976_05_Rotherham

retained the discontinuous gutter strips. The set illustrated is 51230 - 56369, refurbished February/March 1976.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/05/2020 at 14:19, montyburns56 said:

To be honest it seems more believable than an air rifle causing that amount of damage.

If the air pipe has been put on its dummy the pipe flies about when it trailing  causing that damage. Very common damage on 108s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

That’s an excellent photo’ of what may be one of the first class 108’s to have been refurbished. 

Best regards,

Rob.

Possibly the first according to Railcar.co.uk.

"The West Yorkshire PTE was quick to fund some refurbishments, the earliest included 108 twins from the 50599 batch, including 50601 (16/5/75), 50612 (6/6/75), 50613 (23/5/75), 50614(17/4/75), 50616 (29/4/75) all with matching DTCLs. "

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 18/05/2020 at 14:33, giz said:

Only 55034 and trailer 56283 were painted white/blue.

The rest were blue/grey when refurbished.

I didn`t realise that 55034 carried white blue - when we repainted 55024 in maroon back in the day, I pressed for white/blue, but in retrospect that may not have been the best choice for a sandite car! 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 19:55, montyburns56 said:

Possibly the first according to Railcar.co.uk.

"The West Yorkshire PTE was quick to fund some refurbishments, the earliest included 108 twins from the 50599 batch, including 50601 (16/5/75), 50612 (6/6/75), 50613 (23/5/75), 50614(17/4/75), 50616 (29/4/75) all with matching DTCLs. "

The first refurbished 108s had a greater amount of white livery on the car inner ends, with the top edge following the roof profile as on the above image. Blue square coupling codes were also a feature of early refurbs.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know when the last White/Blue DMUs were painted Blue/Grey? I remember seeing set L440 at Reading in white/blue (with W50083) on many occasions and I’m curious to know how long it lasted. My notes are currently AWOL.

Here it is at Oxford in 1979 https://flic.kr/p/2iLZuaS

Edited by brushman47544
Add photo link
  • Like 2