White/Blue Refurbished DMU livery

bennyboy

• RMweb Gold

Hi, it was just Leeds by the date of that photo’. Leeds Central had been closed down for a number of years by then. It had closed down in 1967 when all services were transferred to what was Leeds City station. I hope this is of some help.

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, it was just Leeds by the date of that photo’. Leeds Central had been closed down for a number of years by then. It had closed down in 1967 when all services were transferred to what was Leeds City station. I hope this is of some help.

Rob.

Ah yes, Leeds City was what I meant. Thanks.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:47, Market65 said:

Rob.

The photo is from Platform 7 looking at the DMU in Platform 5 at Leeds City. The farthest two platforms and the parcels vans were in the old Leeds Wellington station and still refereed to as such in some P/W documents in the late 80's

• Informative/Useful 1

The second 'Edinburgh' one is Dundee Tay Bridge. I took my first mainline service around this time (1978) It was a white / blue Class 101 from Haymarket to Burntisland. Saw an HST on the Forth Bridge.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Jim76 said:

The second 'Edinburgh' one is Dundee Tay Bridge. I took my first mainline service around this time (1978) It was a white / blue Class 101 from Haymarket to Burntisland. Saw an HST on the Forth Bridge.

Yeah thanks, it was a service from Edinburgh according to the caption.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Driffield 1979 by woolwinder

Driffield DMU 16 May 1979

Nafferton 1979

Nafferton DMU 16 May 1979

Bridlington 1979 by KDH Archive

79 183 240879 Bridlington DMU

The unit in the second picture doesn't have the full length gutter . I wonder if has other refurb features missing 

2 hours ago, russ p said:

The unit in the second picture doesn't have the full length gutter . I wonder if has other refurb features missing 

Looks like one of the early refurbs that Neville Hill had, they had all the refurbed items.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember the first time I travelled in a Tyseley 116 and was puzzled by the lack of gangway.

All the WR high density were gangwayed, and I had travelled on WR 116 117 and 118 before.

43 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I know it's generally considered an impractical livery in terms of cleaning, but have any preserved units ever carried white and blue?

A class 114 at the Midland Railway Centre did for a while, now undergoing overhaul and repaint into green.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 12/08/2021 at 19:35, montyburns56 said:

A 101 trailer between two 116 units? Unusual???

Lickey Bank 1979 by Geoff Dowling

Class 116 on Lickey Bank

This is one unit, with two class 116 *vehicles* and a Class 101 vehicle.

On 13/08/2021 at 13:38, MJI said:

I remember the first time I travelled in a Tyseley 116 and was puzzled by the lack of gangway.

All the WR high density were gangwayed, and I had travelled on WR 116 117 and 118 before.

The WR suburban units were all fitted with gangways in the late 1960s to allow Paytrain operation. West Midlands local stations all had ticket offices as I recall.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/08/2021 at 19:32, russ p said:

The unit to which you refer is highly likely to be E51230-E56369 which was refurbished in March 1976, just as the refurbishment ball got rolling. I suspect that the final specification was still a moving target at that time, hence the lack of continuous gutters and the application of blue squares to the cab ends. Some unrefurbished vehicles in the later 1970s gaines refurbishment features: there were blue 101s with bean can silencers on the underframes and large silencers on the inner ends. The subsequent overhaul usually had the rest of the refurbishment undertaken.

• Informative/Useful 1