Static grass - which ones?

spikey

I haven't used static grass at all yet but will very shortly need to.  Problem is, I don't know which colours to buy!  I can't get to a model shop to see the stuff in the flesh, so to speak, and the pictures on suppliers' websites are no use whatsoever. 

I was thinking of getting a couple of bags, maybe 2mm and 4mm, to mix to go here and there around my 00 goods yard, mainly to represent late summer/autumn grass growing between and alongside tracks and around buildings.  I want to avoid the vibrant green trainset look, but I haven't a clue as to which colours of which make will give me a more muted, realistic effect. 

Can anyone please suggest what might be suitable?

You are wise to ask for help as many static grass green colours are far too bright, and worse still, some add yellow, red and blue to the green!

I've had best results with the Silflor/Mininatur range using their early and late fall/autumn colours.

post-7898-0-77325800-1517427050_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, but the "green carpet" look of the Peco grass in that video is exactly what I want to avoid.   Unless anybody else has a recommendation, I'll give the Mininatur colours that Alcanman recommends a go.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, but the "green carpet" look of the Peco grass in that video is exactly what I want to avoid.   Unless anybody else has a recommendation, I'll give the Mininatur colours that Alcanman recommends a go.

I have to agree - the effect was only marginally better than scenic mat, really. Disappointing given her diligence. 

I have a Noch thingie which has waited for some years to be used. 2018 might see it commissioned. 

I've used a Noch Grasmaster for some years, and although it is expensive, it works very well.

In addition to selecting the right shades of green it looks best if broken up with other grass textures ie grass tufts, pieces of grass matting or other scenic material.

post-7898-0-58010500-1517499115_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You need a mix of colours and lengths, then mix your own blends. I tend to use 60-70% straw colour and mix with a darkish green, then variations of this introducing some other shades.

If you check out ‘The Yard’ in the layouts thread you can see an initial application, lots more needs to be done.

Better still, for a really good example search out ‘Denton Brook’ by Giles and check out his static grass application. If you search for him on YouTube he has three videos on creating realistic grass.

As to applicators I have used the Noch for a good few years, but now use the one by Greenscenes, find this one much more powerful.

There are those who seem to get by with a 99p tea strainer and an old fly swatter, you pays yours money and takes your choice :)

Martin

By late summer early autumn grasses have flowered and set seed, so you might expect a lot of straw colour in the situation you are describing - lots of tall dried clumps but with new shorter green shoots at the base. If cut and 'tended', as on e.g. an embankment then there will be a higher proportion of the green. Also where damp. So sounds as if muted colours is right.

• RMweb Gold

I've got a cheap flyswatter type one I've had for about 5 years. IMHO that's all you need. As mentioned above it's best to mix your own (I have several bags built up over the years mostly 2mm and 6mm).

The reason I say a cheap one is all that's needed as I also mix my own, eg with a pinch of 3 different colours depending on what I'm trying to achieve.  Once that's exhausted take a pinch each of the same 3 colours but because you're not being exact, the shade will vary slightly each time, so as you move along, each section will be' the same but different'.

I used to build up formers for emabankments using plaster bandage but that is messy, can take a couple of days to dry, and you still have to paint eg brown before you add grass.  All the grass mats seem particularly yucky BUT I've now started using a Gaugemaster roll.  I can't remember if this is summer or spring but they're all pretty lurid (to me).  However it has a brown paper backing which I find easier and less mess to stick down on cardboard formers with PVA.  Once down, my experience is this is quite a good undercoat and if you treat it as such and take your time, quite reasonable results can be had.

post-11293-0-06371800-1517503307_thumb.jpgpost-11293-0-87102000-1517503316_thumb.jpg

Otherwise it's justa case of following general rules:  Keep varying the mix, the top of embankment is usually lighter, the grasses are usually longer lower down, and long white wispy bits tend to be more prevalant lower down by the track.  (I've not done much on the flat so far)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the mininatur fibres and like Alcanman use the Autumn / winter shades predominately for summer scenes. I've found the Peco layering spray very good for adding shorter straw shades to greener grass to add length and give the appearance of dying grasses.

I would like to suggest looking at Green Scene at a show (as the website doesn't show statics at the mo) or Polak (but their website is not showing much variety at the mo too) but the quality and tones is very good. Alcanman's recommendation of Silflor/Minnatur is sound too. Polak's Straw + Withered grass + Brown Green is a nice palette to work with for longer decaying grass.

Avoid gaudy and glossy; if modelling in 4mm you may find that 4mm + 6mm fibres give the longer growth it sounds like you are after.

• Like 1

I've got three electronic applicators, tried about all and every grass fibre makes out there and can't get any of then to work.

It's not you, Allan.  It's the mystical vibrations of Immingham interfering with the molecular wossname of the applicators.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer MiniNatur or Modelscene when it comes to fibers, stay away from any pre-mixed blend wit those ugly bright red and yellow fibers in it. Best machine on the market is the RTS greenkeeper IMO.

Ow, Alan, can teach it to you one day, it's not that hard.

Agree.. I use Mini Natur 6mm autumn blend & Noch winter blend mixed together in a kenwood blender for a couple of minutes. Using PVA neat I sprinkle sieved earth on before the glue dries this being the result.

Thanks Andy York for the first pic..

post-25007-0-50486900-1518688724_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-83266100-1518688757.jpg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 5

I quit using PVA woodglue. The problem is the skin it build and for that the fibers boune of the surface. For a good result I prefer a acrylic binder wich is a base for paintmaking or just cheap kids glue from kindergarten.

For the 2mm short fibers you can thin it almost 50/50 with water, as short fibers don't need a thick glue coat to stand. Longer fibers need a thicker glue to stand up straight..

I just make a couple of mixes for every season. Work in layers and start with a bright green over earth and moss tones, another layer with short beige tones followed by the same lenght in the desired seasonal color. Young grasses are bright green, old ones beige. After that I start layers of longer fibers in the seasonal color and the deadish one. I don't mix lenghts just colors to get the tone I want. Build it up with a dotting technique. Yes, time consuming but realy worth it. I keep away from sprayglue or layering sprays as you can't control them to good and they tend to build up to heavy..

20899812919_3a8d62086e_b.jpg

Hope this picture shows a bit what I mean..experiment and you can get good results..

Edited by milocomarty
  • Like 4

I just make a couple of mixes for every season. Work in layers and start with a bright green over earth and moss tones. I don't mix lenghts just colors to get the tone I want. Build it up with a dotting technique. Yes, time consuming but realy worth it. I keep away from sprayglue or layering sprays as you can't control them to good and they tend to build up to heavy..

20899812919_3a8d62086e_b.jpg

Hope this picture shows a bit what I mean..

That looks fantastic! Can you explain the dotting technique please. Is it a case of small blobs of glue in various places? I find that you cant control layering sprays as well.

Steve.