JMRI to control DCC layout anyone using it

Paul-H

Hi all

I was thinking of giving JMRI a go to control my small end to end layout and was wondering if it could do the following

Given that my layout is basically and end to end shunting layout with all the points DCC controlled using Cobolt Digital iP motors is it possible within JMRI to just select a loco start point and end point and have JMRI change all the points needed for the loco to be able to move between the 2 locations without having to change anything with the points, or is that asking too much for JMRI.

Thanks

Paul

Yes it can be done. I have done this on "Alwinton". See articles in August, September and October Railway Modeller. I used MERG CBUS and JMRI. The layout does not have to be DCC controlled, but it makes it easier for Track Circuiting. 

First off, you have to define each "turnout" in JMRI and ensure that clicking on the buttons actually changes the points.

I then list all of my "defined" trains and work out a set of routes.

Then I define these routes in JMRI using the turnout numbers applied earlier.

Before I run any train, I click on the required route and all the points are set correctly.

It works really well.

Yes it can... as many have already stated.

IMHO JMRI is brilliant.

I'm very much a newbie with it and just scratching the surface, but I've got literally dozens of "routes" defined to get traffic into and out of my six platform terminus onto the four track mainline, including routes to take locos to/from the two loco holding stubs, and provide routes to/from a couple of carriage sidings.

Literally ONE click to set a route, either from the Layout screen or from the Engine Drive App on one of several old phones/pads used as throttles/layout controllers.

Yes it can be done. I have done this on "Alwinton". See articles in August, September and October Railway Modeller. I used MERG CBUS and JMRI. The layout does not have to be DCC controlled, but it makes it easier for Track Circuiting. 

I didn't look at the magazines you refer to, but your use of MERG CBUS and JMRI is exactly what I want to.   I'll have a look on the MERG forum for details, but if nothing there, would you be able to write up a brief description for posting on here?

Peterfgf

Thanks for the replies, nice to know I should be able to do what I want, should because I am struggling to understand JMRI is probably the most unintuitive bit of software I have ever tried and I have used open source software before.

Anyone got any links to a JMRI for dummies guide

Paul

Anyone got any links to a JMRI for dummies guide

There isn't a general "dummies guide" because JMRI is like a giant Mecanno set - can do a vast number of things, in a vast number of ways. 

Most of the tutorials are found under the general term "clinics" on the JMRI website.  

I wrote some guides to UK signalling which are there, and may help getting you towards the entry-exit signalling approach.  (ie. follow those guides, and then, applying entry-exit signalling over those shouldn't be too big a jump. )     

Alternatively, Routes can be set up as David Pennington described:  

1 - in turnout table, add every turnout on your layout.  Give each a name (eg. "platform 1 enter" or "down south cross-over"), because having names can help considerably with advanced stuff.   Check each turnout moves when you change its state.    

2 - having described turnouts, in Route table, create your routes.  Each route consists of a number of turnouts to be thrown or closed. 

That's enough to get things going, you can directly action the Routes from the table.   However, for a "nicer" appearance, you may want to add things to a panel which will trigger the routes from a mouse click. 

3 - quickest way I can think of to make a "nice" panel for triggering routes is to create an "internal sensor" for each route.   Edit the routes so each is triggered by its internal sensor.   Then add the internal sensors to a graphical control panel (eg. use the "layout editor" or "switchboard editor"  to create the graphical control panel) 

When done setting things up, "save" your "panel file".   A "panel file" is a single item which contains every panel-related thing you have created, be it turnouts, routes, panels, sensors, signals, anything.    You want ONE "panel file" for your model railway.   DO NOT attempt to have more than one (eg. one for turnouts, one for signals, or one for down-line, one for up-line), it WILL end in tears! 

Having got it saved, you can re-open the saved panel file at a later date, and can also set JMRI to automatically open the file on startup. 

You want ONE "panel file" for your model railway.   DO NOT attempt to have more than one (eg. one for turnouts, one for signals, or one for down-line, one for up-line), it WILL end in tears! 

Having got it saved, you can re-open the saved panel file at a later date, and can also set JMRI to automatically open the file on startup. 

I found panels highly non-intuitive, but got there with much persistence and head-scratching. I have JMRI auto-booting on a Raspberry Pi underneath the railway, and I control it from Digitrains on my phone. I've only got points manually laid out on a panel at the moment, which loads with JMRI as it starts - routes will be later. 

Having said that, SPROG3 and JMRI and a Pi works very well.

For a starting point this is a good one, but you'll find lots on youtube and the ones from the USA are good also. My advice is to keep it simple at first and built each element one at a time which is what I have done. This link is to part 2 of 8.

Don't give up as once you understand it its straight forward.

Simon

https://youtu.be/ZCvJV4tnEig

Edited by hobbyhorse

• RMweb Gold

I have been using JMRI for some years now but still plenty to learn.

Currently using it on Banbury and other layouts to show turnout positions and as we use touchscreen PC's to allow the turnouts to be operated on screen.

I have dabbled with signals but still need to understand more on this as they dont always respond correctly. I have set up block detection on Santa Barbara on the scenic area only. No block detection on Banbury yet but thats in the pipeline so that signals can be controlled semi automatically.

For a starting point this is a good one, but you'll find lots on youtube and the ones from the USA are good also. My advice is to keep it simple at first and built each element one at a time which is what I have done. This link is to part 2 of 8.

Don't give up as once you understand it its straight forward.

Simon

https://youtu.be/ZCvJV4tnEig

Yes, that's part-2 of the set I wrote.  Part 8 never got done, sorry about that ! 

As a starter to how to do things, its still fine.   However, quite a few of the steps are now a lot simpler in the software.   One particular improvement is on signals, the video shows a long-method of "add the accessory decoders to turnout table, then define signal heads using those, then define signal masts using those".   With improvements the to software, one can now define the signals from the masts, and the underlying bits are built for you. 

I have been using JMRI for some years now but still plenty to learn.

Currently using it on Banbury and other layouts to show turnout positions and as we use touchscreen PC's to allow the turnouts to be operated on screen.

I have dabbled with signals but still need to understand more on this as they dont always respond correctly. I have set up block detection on Santa Barbara on the scenic area only. No block detection on Banbury yet but thats in the pipeline so that signals can be controlled semi automatically.

You can set it up with "internal" sensors for the block detection, give those sensors names, and then later change them to real sensors.   Whilst they remain "internal", you can add them to a panel as a click-able item, and thus you can change the sensor state to occupied, and the signalling will respond to it. 

There are a lot of ways to do signalling.  One fundamental decision is whether the signalling is very modern (ie. signals show the routes set for the train, and responds to occupancy on the track), or very traditional (signalman has interlocking box where a turnout route is set on a lot of levers, then those unlock the signal levels allowing the signals to be pulled).   

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe