Peco OO9 gauge Ffestiniog Railway Carriages (Bug Boxes, Quarrymans & Bowsiders)

Paul.Uni

Just saw these on Hattons

No details of price or date that they are due to appear.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am really hoping that these, plus the slate wagon packa give enough traction (pun intended) for wither Heljan or Peco, or Bachmann to make an 009 model of the FR George Englands and Double Farlies aswell as more carriages and wagons.

Now, that would be nice...

Roy

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure Peco have stated before that they won't be doing any locos in 009, but given that Bachmann announced Britomart as one of their Quarry Hunslets initial releases (as and when they arrive) There'll be suitable motive power in RTR form for a modern day FfR rake of bugs.

Who knows what the future will bring loco-wise, but for now I look forward to seeing the samples when they materialise. I've already got the full set of current bug boxes in various kit forms, but I might be tempted by a couple more, especially if we get the lovely Victorian liveried versions!

Cheers

J

It's a shame Roco didn't produce that double Fairlie they talked about a few years back. I wonder if Bachmann could be persuaded to produce Duke (Prince) or Mighty Mac (a double Fairlie) in their Thomas range?

As I have stated before on the USA Bachmann forums' Thomas section, but the releases are only being done for CGI appearing characters, and have been for a good few years now, so I doubt it'll happen, we just gotta hope Bachmann UK, Heljan, or someone else does them.

• 7 months later...

At Nuremberg Peco have announced additional types of FR coach and a new Snailbeach District Railways hopper wagon for 2019:

- Ffestiniog Railway Mk3 quarryman's coach

- FR brakevans 6 and 7

- Snailbeach hopper

EF6BF021-670B-4BA9-AE84-655F475E6EBA.jpeg

0FD9B4CC-D98C-4D81-8681-40C87FFAD726.jpeg

E06A0BB4-A9D5-49ED-A075-152362CB4F90.jpeg

Edited by dcroz
  • Like 7

Ooh, I just realised that the bug boxes and the different coaches would go great behind the Bachmann 009 391-051 Britomart as she is preserved on the FR. Hopefully Peco will eventually announce the FR bogie vintage stock and the modern FR coaches and that someone finally does an R-T-R release of the the Englands and Fairlies.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/06/2019 at 08:46, Pre Grouping fan said:

I wonder if theres any updates on these projects? Peco seems to be silent on their developments.

Well one development is that Dundas Models are showing another trio of bug boxes in the original FR brown and purple livery, hopefully hattons and the other shops catch wind of this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Peco in partnership with Kato had their first running sample of the highly anticipated 009 Scale Small England Locomotive on display over the course of the weekend at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019.
This early 3D Printed sample demonstrated the super smooth and quite characteristics of the mechanism on the Peco 009 Test Track. The sample was paired with a Kato N Gauge Tender to complete the pick-up circuit, while the prototypical tender is under development.  
*Please note this is an early test sample to demonstrate the mechanism* 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Update from the Peco Spring report https://mcusercontent.com/447cc01a867103118302481e1/files/3c31b010-9685-4c9d-83f4-974a2868c92a/Peco_Spring_Report_2020.pdf

Bug Boxes

• Preservation livery listed as out now (1st GR-551, 3rd GR-556A & GR-556B and Observation GR-561)
  • Victorian livery due soon (1st GR-550, 3rd GR-555A & GR-555B and Observation GR-560)
  • Colonel Stephens and 1970s Red due in 2020

Bowsider Carriages

Due 2021. Further details will be announced later this year.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just received word from Peco that the Green & Cream preservation era coaches are now out and available! We've placed our order and will be getting ours next week, we've had healthy pre-orders on these.

157972064_BugBoxes.jpg.8c5ca6348ff17469193d267b6b79d6e0.jpg

RRP is £27.50, and of course most shops (including us) will be offering a discount on that price - so head down to your local shop and get placing your orders!

FR Maroon ones not due long after apparently. :-)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 12/03/2020 at 13:33, Derails Models said:

Just received word from Peco that the Green & Cream preservation era coaches are now out and available! We've placed our order and will be getting ours next week, we've had healthy pre-orders on these.

157972064_BugBoxes.jpg.8c5ca6348ff17469193d267b6b79d6e0.jpg

RRP is £27.50, and of course most shops (including us) will be offering a discount on that price - so head down to your local shop and get placing your orders!

FR Maroon ones not due long after apparently. :-)

Not maroon, but the original victorian livery of brown/purple.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the bug boxes have started to arrive, our anticipation can presumably turn more towards the bowsiders. Have Peco announced which ones they are doing? 

There are 4 to choose from which are effectively two pairs, but there are differences between them. I know Peco have down different bodies for different L&B carriages, so if the bowsiders are tooled in a similar way, getting the different vehicle lengths shouldn't be a problem.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a factory printed lined Victorian 19, but equally the green with cream upper panels of 17!

IMG_5734.jpg.d5120a495fc841e66deac441d791e912.jpg

IMG_0407.JPG.8bef75401c48ed0452f62cce32484871.JPG

Also, is it wrong to fancy a few big boxes in early preservation cherry red?

Cheers

J

12 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Now that the bug boxes have started to arrive, our anticipation can presumably turn more towards the bowsiders. Have Peco announced which ones they are doing? 

There are 4 to choose from which are effectively two pairs, but there are differences between them. I know Peco have down different bodies for different L&B carriages, so if the bowsiders are tooled in a similar way, getting the different vehicle lengths shouldn't be a problem.

Also, is it wrong to fancy a few big boxes in early preservation cherry red?

All the L&BR coaches Peco have done are the same length. They did at one point indicate that they would be doing the Brake Composite no.17 until it was pointed out that particular coach was a different length to all the other sixteen at which point they dropped that idea, so I suspect we will see one pair or the other rather than both pairs, especially as both types are Composites (No Brakes & no Thirds rather limits 'generic' options).

Three of the four coaches ran without the panelling during the Cherry Red era, just no.19 retained it. Still, they were that livery for a significant time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

All the L&BR coaches Peco have done are the same length. They did at one point indicate that they would be doing the Brake Composite no.17 until it was pointed out that particular coach was a different length to all the other sixteen at which point they dropped that idea, so I suspect we will see one pair or the other rather than both pairs, especially as both types are Composites (No Brakes & no Thirds rather limits 'generic' options). 

This was my initial thought too, although the L&Bs are moulded as a one piece body, so if the bowsiders were done in a similar way, the two lengths could be accommodated with two different tools. It all depends how accurate they want to go (and how much they want to spend on tooling) I suppose.

We may even get one pair, and then the second pair further down the line.

Cheers

J

With the L&B coaches all being the same length it may be the case that the centre core of the mould is the same with different detail side and end tools (or inserts) to cover the various versions. I know when we had the ATM bogie tools made the second pair of bogies only required new engraved plates for the different external detail as they had the same core section (the most complex part as it had the moving parts to form the pin-point bearings) for the bolster and coupling arm.

It's possible they might do a second pair later as the bogies are identical which would still represent a significant saving. The bogies would also suit a curly roof van  (just saying... ;) )

• Agree 1