Peco OO9 gauge Ffestiniog Railway Carriages (Bug Boxes, Quarrymans & Bowsiders)

Paul.Uni

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes, expected in next few weeks pre Crimbo , currently in production building up stock 😁

Did the Peco folks at Warley give any idea of RRP?
Seems a bit odd that if they're that close to release, retailers are still not yet able to set an exact price and get firm pre-orders locked in.

I fear my wallet may be taking a beating!

Note that on the real vehicles, the beading was simplified around the time they were finished in the 'varnished' livery, and some coaches lost their ventilators too. Some links to Flickr photos here:

Festiniog Railway 1967 - MC-0338 Festiniog Railway 'Prince'

These simplifications remained into the cherry-red era.

From the red and cream era, these details were gradually restored, except on carr.18 which had the simpler beading until it was rebuilt to original condition in the early 2000s:

Carr 18

So be aware, some of the models are slightly fictional. 

Edited by Mol_PMB
Edit: links corrected
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For people struggling to identify the carriages in Mol's pictures, they are:

Top: 18 (simplified beading); 23 or 26 (Ashbury); 17 (simplified beading, no ventilators); 19 or 20 (19 was the only bowsider not to lose its beading, but I think 20 had full beading in green and cream); 15

Middle: The front carriage is 20 (simplified beading)

• Like 1

Sorting out my pre-orders and noticed Hattons seem to be listing extra versions that aren't shown by any other retailers:
GR-606A Ffestiniog 'Bowsider' short composite in FR red & cream - 17
GR-606B Ffestiniog 'Bowsider' short composite in FR red & cream - 18

GR-626A Ffestiniog 'Bowsider' long composite in FR red & cream - 19

GR-626B Ffestiniog 'Bowsider' long composite in FR red & cream - 20

These appear to be duplicates of the other red/cream versions (GR-602A/B and GR622 A/B)

Is this just some sort of listing mix up, or is there going to be a 'unique to Hattons' variant?

That's a cracking video, good to see Mr Williams on it too, especially with regards to the colours and finer details.

The directions of travel underneath are a particularly nice touch!

The two short carriages in their preserved liveries are on my list, having travelled in both during various trips. I've already built a long-bow (19) from a Worsley etch and it'll be interesting to how well they compare.

IMAG55442.jpg.4cc4c6628d1a9fe655ca33bb9ed19c0f.jpg

IMAG55452.jpg.be5e24b7ab7d5205256ec517166b3e02.jpg

I'm not looking forward to trying to line this! It's currently in its base colours, and looks pretty smart, and with a big slab of lead between the frames, runs rather smoothly, if I may say so myself!

Looking forward to getting my hands on the Peco ones, hopefully they'll have arrived at Monk Bar when I pop in later this week!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

I picked up Carr 17 yesterday morning from Monk Bar in York, and it's a lovely thing indeed. A much nicer finish than I could have hoped to achieve on such a complex livery! I've had several trips in 17, so it was one on my radar for adding to my fleet.

20231205_193423.jpg.8b147f771231ea055ad2804d1e43e886.jpg

20231205_193443.jpg.371ade1dcbaf24d58a58274015a2071a.jpg

It's had a brief test run with my Worsley Van 5, which is how it was arranged last time i rode in it.

20231205_182114.jpg.e22b9dd671dd6ae05a783262d5ef929f.jpg

20231205_182058.jpg.72c394e1d7111b5bef0e055e19532296.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting 18 in due course too. I might end up with 20 as well, just for completeness in due course, but we'll see.

The next step is to try to get some colour into the interior, though the way the roof support is arranged, may make it a bit difficult.

Cheers

J

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks lovely that J.

Someone pointed out on Facebook that the undercarriage has markings to show which orientation the carriage should be for heading to Blaenau. Lovely little extra that wouldn't be noticed easily... (apologies to who posted this - I can't remember)

image.png.8c0e3b1247f444b877db597cf04a3ecb.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

Looks lovely that J.

Someone pointed out on Facebook that the undercarriage has markings to show which orientation the carriage should be for heading to Blaenau. Lovely little extra that wouldn't be noticed easily... (apologies to who posted this - I can't remember)

image.png.8c0e3b1247f444b877db597cf04a3ecb.png

If only the original manufacturers had applied such helpful labels. In reality one of them is the ‘wrong’ way round and has been for nearly 150 years!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

A quick update on Peco bowsider 17. I've got in! With a bit of investigative unclipping, I've achieved full interior access, and as a result got some paint onto the seats.

20231207_214813.jpg.75589d7a420091d5e567603545d656eb.jpg

Reassembly was a bit tricky, but I think I've got it sorted now, so if I need to do it again, it should be much easier.

I'm now toying with the idea of lights, but that'll take a lot of research and experimentation!

Cheers

J

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

17 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I'm now toying with the idea of lights, but that'll take a lot of research and experimentation!

Looking really good with the colourful interior. Are we allowed to post links to shops? If so I have used some cheap but decent led lights in one of my L&B coaches that might be worth a try?

1 hour ago, EMA747 said:

Looking really good with the colourful interior. Are we allowed to post links to shops? If so I have used some cheap but decent led lights in one of my L&B coaches that might be worth a try?

It's relevant to the topic, and as long as you have no affiliation, other than as a customer, I think that's allowed! Also some photos of what you've done would be welcome too!

Cheers

J

On 08/12/2023 at 17:02, JaymzHatstand said:

It's relevant to the topic, and as long as you have no affiliation, other than as a customer, I think that's allowed! Also some photos of what you've done would be welcome too!

Cheers

J

I used these 3v leds which have a little battery that clips in the back. https://www.layouts4u.net/leds-nano-smds-fibre-optics/3-volt-and-12-volt-leds/magnetically-operated-3v-bright-white-led

They turn on and off with a little magnetic wand that they should have on their site. I picked a couple up at Warley to give them a try. They are a bit bright but for the price work really well and are so easy to install. I just bluetacked it to the roof at this stage! I will probably add a strip of card or something along the roof to stop light leak but I'm really pleased with them as a simple solution.

2023-12-09 18.38.17.jpg

2023-12-09 18.38.28.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi there. Does anyone know if it’s likely that the Bowsider bogies will be made available separately by Peco?

A number 17 arrived for me at Christmas courtesy of Santa but unfortunately one of the clips seems to have come off one bogie in transit. I can return the carriage to the retailer but if the bogies are going to be available separately I might not have to go to the trouble of sending it back. 

Thanks in advance!

Ian

9 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Hi there. Does anyone know if it’s likely that the Bowsider bogies will be made available separately by Peco?

A number 17 arrived for me at Christmas courtesy of Santa but unfortunately one of the clips seems to have come off one bogie in transit. I can return the carriage to the retailer but if the bogies are going to be available separately I might not have to go to the trouble of sending it back.

Why pay more? Contact the retailer who ought to be offering a free return. If not try Peco for the clip -  info@peco.co

• Agree 1