Barclay Drawings

With Hatton's confirming that they are only doing the 6' WB - (thanks Porcy for asking) - does that open the possibility for High Level to produce some WB variations? e.g. 7' WB? that is assuming there are not too many above WB changes also?

J

Yes, all this makes sense if I can get the wheels...

Although they were a standard design, they were many variations to meet customers' requirements. As long as the bodies were more or less the same, I could incorporate as many as possible.

• Like 1

From the materials I have to hand (mostly IRS volumes and the list featured here -  http://www.industrial-loco.org.uk/works_list800.htm - but also details of preserved Barclay 0-4-0s, most (if not all) of the 16" locos had 3' 7" wheels  near identical to the 3' 8"  Gibson supply. That being the case, the 16" is already catered for (happily that's the version I have on order).

Adam

I suspect Colin’s main problem would be the production of a suitable wheel centre as he already produces tyres in the right size. If a master could be produced, and here’s where the 3D printing comes in, it might make the prospect more interesting/economical. Alan Buttler at Modelu *might* be able to help if someone has a drawing of the proper Barclay wheel. One can but ask...

Cheers,

David

Another thought occurred to me (two in one day!). I was looking at a review of the Brassmasters detailing kit for the Bachmann G2 and had to wonder if an etched overlay might do the trick for converting wheels of the right diameter to an acceptable appearance? Have to go and rest now...

Cheers,

David

Another thought occurred to me (two in one day!). I was looking at a review of the Brassmasters detailing kit for the Bachmann G2 and had to wonder if an etched overlay might do the trick for converting wheels of the right diameter to an acceptable appearance? Have to go and rest now...

Cheers,

David

David, I appreciate your support and suggestions. I need to be able to offer the customer a chassis that, after investing money and time in, looks at least as good as the RTR one, and I just don't think etched spokes would achieve that.

I know from talking to Colin that plastic wheels are not as easy to make as people might think. The interference fit of the plastic centre in both in the rim and on the axle, means there is considerable stress present in the spokes, and between them around the bore. This is asking a lot from the moulding material, and the sizes need to be right. I think I’d prefer to stick with the tried and tested methods...

I can go ahead using the existing larger Barclay 3’8’’ wheel and hope Colin can find the time to sort the smaller one at some point.

• Like 1

Will the cylinders/cross heads be included, or will the cylinder assembly be from the Hattons model? 

From a purely selfish viewpoint, I find it easier to work in metal - hoping I can perhaps use a 16'' High Level chassis under a Mercian kit...

Paul A. 

Something to keep in mind is that Barclay's were early proponants of standardisation and didn't bother messing around with different jigs for the frames so any hole drilled in one side is also on the opposite side, such as the fixing holes for the steam brake. Barclays are a wonderfully simple and chunky engine, no frills and does exactly what it says on the tin. The 14" and 16" are not the best of steamers without some modification, but they will carry on clumping along happily on 100psi albeit not quite as quick as at 160psi!

• 10 months later...

While it is not for one of the actual engines being produced by Hattons I have a copy of the G/A for Barclay 0-4-0ST loco W/N 1890 of 1926. This a 14" engine with 3' 5" wheels on a 5' 6" wheelbase.

The engine was built for Granton Gasworks and is preserved in Fife.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/36/582/

Hi Jeremy

I’m presently fighting a Mercian Models Barclay kit in 7mm.

I cannot figure out the brake arrangement and the instructions offer little help. Could you possibly scan your drawing to show me how it’s set up. I have pored over masses of photos but mostly this area is in shadow or unclear.

If you can help it would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Bob

Bob.

At the moment I don't have the drawing as it has been lent to 'High Level Kits', but the attached photos might be of help.

post-7313-0-36889300-1545687358.jpg

This is the steam brake cylinder on the 14" Barclay that was at Granton Gasworks. Note the piston moves down to apply the brakes, so the brake rods are push rods not pull rods.

post-7313-0-53994700-1545687325.jpg

A close up of the brake arrangement on my Mercian Models 16" Barclay. This was based on the drawing mentioned above.

post-7313-0-87810800-1545687405.jpg

A more general view of the underside of the above model. Apart from the brake cylinder and its lever the brake rigging on both sides is identical.

Points to note are that the rod to the rear brake shoe is straight from the crank on the brake shaft to the rear brake hanger. The rod to the front wheel runs from the rear hanger crossbeam, passes behind the rear wheel then steps out to come into line with the bottom of the front brake hanger. There is no cross beam between the front brake hangers.

I hope these are of some assistance.

Edited by JeremyC