Cobalt Turnout Motor Problems

orford

On 26/06/2020 at 08:54, St Enodoc said:

Does it take that long with no load as well as under load? If so, it sounds as though there's something not right.

Didn't make a difference so it's in my box of dead cobalts.

I managed to find one that works and have installed that one so hopefully this one lasts! I've now installed five and only have two remaining working on the layout.

Thanks all for your help.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/06/2020 at 16:24, WIMorrison said:

the switch you refer to is for setting the address of the motor, it has nothing to do with voltage

To clarify switches on Cobalt motors:

The original analog Cobalt motors do not have switches.

Original Digital have a programming switch (SET/RUN) on the rear of the terminal block

Digital IP have a programming switch next to the terminals

Analog IP have a reversing switch next to the terminals (Yes - an analog motor can be reversed by swapping the power leads)

Omega Classic have a voltage selector switch next to the terminal block -  set to 6-12v or 12-18v.

Best Regards

The DCCconcepts Team.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am having a slightly different problem, although I'm quite happy to accept that it's something I'm doing wrong.

I have a DCC Concepts accessory decoder that has been operating a DCC Concepts Cobalt, of the original flavour, quite happily for some months. That original Cobalt has failed electrically (internal switch contacts fractured) and I have obtained a replacement in the shape of a Cobalt iP Analogue. I have installed and wired up the replacement to the same accessory decoder and it does not work. I know that the wiring connections are in a different sequence and have ensured that the new installation is correct. I removed the two "DC in" wires from the new motor and connected them to the old motor's power terminals and that motor worked perfectly.

Does anybody have any idea what it is that I'm doing wrong? I have checked DCC Concepts' website and supplied instructions and found no relevant information there. A second new Cobalt iP Analogue behaved the same way - didn't respond - so I'm not sure it can be a product problem. Two new devices should not both fail to work, surely?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I am having a slightly different problem, although I'm quite happy to accept that it's something I'm doing wrong.

I have a DCC Concepts accessory decoder that has been operating a DCC Concepts Cobalt, of the original flavour, quite happily for some months. That original Cobalt has failed electrically (internal switch contacts fractured) and I have obtained a replacement in the shape of a Cobalt iP Analogue. I have installed and wired up the replacement to the same accessory decoder and it does not work. I know that the wiring connections are in a different sequence and have ensured that the new installation is correct. I removed the two "DC in" wires from the new motor and connected them to the old motor's power terminals and that motor worked perfectly.

Does anybody have any idea what it is that I'm doing wrong? I have checked DCC Concepts' website and supplied instructions and found no relevant information there. A second new Cobalt iP Analogue behaved the same way - didn't respond - so I'm not sure it can be a product problem. Two new devices should not both fail to work, surely?

What decoder are you using?

If it's the early AD - it will not drive an Ip Analog.

You need the AD-FX series.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

No idea, Mick, but asking a silly question - why didn't you get an iP Digital?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

What decoder are you using?

If it's the early AD - it will not drive an Ip Analog.

You need the AD-FX series.

It states this quite clearly in the "Advice" section of DCC Concepts' website. If only I had thought to check there first. It didn't occur to me that a DCC Concepts decoder would not work with a DCC Concepts point motor.

Thanks for pointing this out, Mick. It had to be a simple explanation, didn't it?

:rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

No idea, Mick, but asking a silly question - why didn't you get an iP Digital?

I already had a decoder and it was only the point motor that was faulty. Seemed a logical decision to me. Should have read through the DCC Concepts website before making assumptions.

:(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

Hi - I'll start by saying that I'm a real novice when it comes to model railway electronics and DCC. My layout is under construction and currently runs on DC. I'm planning a move to DCC in the coming year however.

My first scenic board has a crossover to install. As this is my first foray into setting up one of these, I have decided to mount it all on test board first to check that the turnout operating mechanisms, motors and wiring all function correctly before applying them to the layout.

I have bought two Cobalt iP Digital turnout motors for operating the turnouts. They are set up for DCC but I understand that they can be wired for DC and I plan to do this in the interim.  I wanted to test the mechanical switching system that I have installed. For this aspect, I thought that by applying power to tabs/connection points 1 & 2 (labelled DCC IN) on the Colbalt motor I would be able to activate movement of the throw bar and hence testthe activation.

However, in carrying out the above I'm not getting any response from the Cobalt at all in either the SETUP or RUN modes.
I've tested the power sources and they seem to be fine with 9- 12 V available. 

Am I using the wrong connections for DC or do I need to make additional connections to make the motor operational?
Or, was my assumption that they can be used for DC wrong?

Thank you in advance for any advice received 

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Wiring the Cobalt Digital iP for analogue control (DC) is covered in the instruction manual.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/owners-manual-cobalt-ip-digital-point-motors/

Note: see page 2 top right hand diagram.

If I understand it correctly.....

DC Power supply to T1 & T2 and switch to T7, T8 & T9

Frog polarity switching uses T4, T5 & T6

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

Ron is correct with his details.

Just to add a few extra bits of info for others.

We will stress that the DC power must be regulated.

Do not use the auxiliary output from a train controller/transformer as they are often unregulated.

We recommend that the switch to terminals 7-9 is a SPDT spring return to centre (on/off/on) or a pair of pushbuttons, as the left to right inputs needs to see a small break of a few millisceconds - so an on-on switch cannot be used.

The SET/RUN switch is not used for DC operation if you are only using manual switches to terminals 7-9.

The manual switches can still be used in parallel with DCC operation.

Even after the motor is addressed (from the default of #1)

This is ideal if you wish to fit Cobalt Digital IP and provide power (but not necessarily control them) from a DCC power source.

And if you are using the same DCC power source for the track, then you can use S1/Frog terminal 3 to switch the frog, leaving S2 - terminals 4-6 free for swicthing other items, such as signals.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team.