What budget computer spec for 3D cad do you use?

My laptop has finally died so I'm looking for a replacement. But I'm on a budget. I already have autocad so I will be transferring that to the new laptop, but it's getting a bit old so it might be worth changing software as well. My old laptop (AMD A6-3420M and Radeon HD 6520G graphics) could not cope with a full loco and chassis in realistic 3D so I'm aware that I need something better, but how better? I'm thinking that a second hand gaming laptop might be the way forward.

What CPU/GPU combination do you use for your 3D rolling stock and what CAD package are you using it with?

Thanks.

Edited by Penrhos1920

Personally, I use an Intel Chip and nVidia card for use with a multitude of 2D and 3D packages. I've used AMD previously and found the drivers for graphics flakey and annoying, but that may be a personal thing. 

If you can get a second hand gaming unit, look for one with a decent Intel chip and RAM capacity. GFX card is really low on the priorities - I started with 3D Studio Viz  R3 some 15 years ago, with onboard graphics on a desktop, and it handled large files easy enough. A robust graphics card does little for the work you will be doing. 

Get as much memory as you can, if it's a thing you can upgrade, bit by bit. Don't worry about latency and timings, it's not relevant here. Quantity, not quality!

The package one uses is dependent on the output platform, but parametric modelling such as PTC Creo, Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks is an option for CNC, whilst 3DS Max, Maya, Sketchup, Blender and so on, the traditional modelling platforms, are great for speed, process and 3D printing. 

Rich

I managed to do some cad on my sons gaming PC and it was very good. That had an I5-4570 cpu. So you're saying that I need a good CPU, equivalent to the 4570, and plenty of ram and just use the on board graphics? One problem I found is that laptop CPUs are not as good as desktop CPUs. In terms of processing power you need the latest laptop I5 8th generation to get the same as the old I5 4th gen desktop.

• RMweb Gold

Penrhos

I have just bought a new laptop having taken early retirement in December and had to give my work machine back. I am using CATIA which is the system of choice in the Aerospace world, but you cannot afford it unless you get a hookey copy. If you are starting out ignore the blenders, sketchups etc which are surface modellers and go straight for a full 3D package which works with solids. I would recommend you go for Fusion 360 as it is free to non commercial users. What you need in your computer is processing power and a good graphics card. Whilst on board graphics will work they tend to be slow and will not handle large models, my 5" gauge Aspinall model is currently running about 70 mb. RAM is not so important you need a lot but not as much as you can cram in. So spec of my machine is as follows:

post-1359-0-66896200-1517839147.jpg

post-1359-0-85507500-1517839215.jpg

By the way operating system is Windows 10, with no problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Penrhos

I hope it's not too late but if you're on a budget I just wanted to mention what's possible with lower-spec machines and open source software.

I've got a fairly low-spec laptop (more a Chrome book really) that I bought it the States. It's got 4GB RAM and an i-3 1.4GHz processor with integrated graphics. So pretty low-spec all-in-all. I wiped this and installed Ubuntu and FreeCAD. I'll admit it's not the fastest but while I was teaching myself the software I managed to build a complete 3D model of a SGGNS wagon, a Y25 bogie etc all with multiple applications open the whole time.

I've now got a much better desktop setup but it still cost a fraction of a decent specification laptop. If you really don't need to be mobile I wouldn't get a laptop or consider getting a cheap laptop like a Chrome book for mobility and keep a better desktop at home.

Anyway here's the specification of the desktop I put together:

AMD processor - nothing fancy here. They are cheap and they work. I've always been of the opinion there is a lot of hype around CPUs. Most of the time you're measuring differences in microseconds and you can make bigger performance gains more cheaply by removing other performance bottlenecks.

Get a decent graphics card to take the load off the CPU. I went for a 2GB AMD FirePro W4100 PCIe - which is a 2D/3D work-type graphics card rather than gaming graphics card. A much better option for CAD.

Always get plenty of RAM. I went for 32GB RAM - that's way too much but I was interested in virtualization at the time. However that much RAM doesn't actually cost a lot and it does give you the option of playing with RAM disks. Imagine working on a CAD/graphics file stored in RAM rather than on a HDD or SSD. Lighting fast but just remember to save to disk regularly!

Working from disk is a major bottleneck so SSD hard drive for storage if you don't want to play with RAM disks - much faster than HDD.

SuperFlower PSU - a good, stable and efficient power supply is worth the extra money long-term.

I also put a mirrored HDD in for long-term storage.

I installed OpenSUSE on all that and the latest version of FreeCAD and it's an awesome little setup. Super fast and if you're willing to put a bit of effort into learning FreeCAD you can put it all together really cheaply. I'm considering installing Ubuntu on this computer now though. OpenSUSE is just too much effort most of the time. Great for people that love tinkering with PCs, solving software issues but most of the time now I just want stuff to work so I can get on with other work. That's where Ubuntu excels.

Hope that helps but if you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Simon

• Like 2