Wild Swan - The Titfield Thunderbolt by Simon Castens

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

I've just read the following from the Faceache "Titfield Thunderbolt - Then and Now" Group.
Can anyone assist Mr Castens?

"I am (at last) making progress on my new Titfield book, which I will publish under my Wild Swan imprint, hopefully this year.

Can anyone help with identifying the names of the crew? I am for the moment particularly intrigued by the two figures wearing berets who crop up a lot, I think they are camera loaders or some such but they do not "match" any of the known crew names as published. Here they are in a rather grainy shot from my collection, showing filming work at Monkton Combe.

Any help much appreciated, also if anyone has any memories or reminiscences they'd like to contribute then now is the time to come forward!

Many thanks for any help!

Simon Castens"

post-1328-0-81656600-1517572503_thumb.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/groups/392335160901770?view=permalink&id=1119186191549993

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've just read the following from the Faceache "Titfield Thunderbolt - Then and Now" Group.

Can anyone assist Mr Castens?

"I am (at last) making progress on my new Titfield book, which I will publish under my Wild Swan imprint, hopefully this year.

Can anyone help with identifying the names of the crew? I am for the moment particularly intrigued by the two figures wearing berets who crop up a lot, I think they are camera loaders or some such but they do not "match" any of the known crew names as published. Here they are in a rather grainy shot from my collection, showing filming work at Monkton Combe.

Any help much appreciated, also if anyone has any memories or reminiscences they'd like to contribute then now is the time to come forward!

Many thanks for any help!

Simon Castens"

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1517572162309.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/groups/392335160901770?view=permalink&id=1119186191549993

Dunno any of the film crew - the only one I know about (and later knew becauses he was one of my staff) was the Fireman.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Tim.

It's true, I'm finally getting the book together using all the wonderful pictures and snippets of information I have been given over the last quarter of a Century.

That picture doesn't show the two bereted blokes I'm trying to get names for very clearly though, here's a better picture of one of them:

post-19301-0-25777900-1517598493.jpg

I'm going to see Colin Maggs next week to talk about his interest and involvement in the filming.

Simon

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Make that two signed copies........

'Nobody expects a request for two signed copies......we have two main weapons...fear and surprise......and a fanatical devotion to the the Titfield Thunderbolt........"

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Make that two signed copies........

'Nobody expects a request for two signed copies......we have two main weapons...fear and surprise......and a fanatical devotion to the the Titfield Thunderbolt........"

Llamas are bigger than frogs.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Llamas are bigger than frogs.

Agreed. However you can't lick a Llama.

Edited by nhy581

• 1 month later...

I shall certainly be on the look out for this book as the film has a family connection.  It was the film my parents went to see on their first date, so I guess I owe it a lot!!  Whenever it appeared on the television when I was young it would always send my Mum into hysterics, especially the "duel"!!

Can't wait to see it in the flesh Simon!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the encouragement, I'm still chipping away at it.

I'm finding some quite good "people stories" for the book, here's a snap of John Gregson outside the hotel he stayed in during the filming.

post-19301-0-11980200-1521480963_thumb.jpg

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
  • Like 8

What a fabulous picture of John Gregson, what pub did he stay in or are you saving that information for the book.

Looks like the hotel served good grog. He looks stewed  (and in need of a bath).

Smarten up  Septic! Pimpernel squadron would be ashamed of you.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

He looks like he's lost Genevieve's starting handle!! What a classic star of the 1950's.....well remembered as skipper of HMS Exeter in "The Battle of the River Plate"

Must have been for a refit in the Falklands then.....

And please note signature line below does not include frogs or llamas....although I did see a very surprised Llama trackside as I travelled up Sapperton bank last week...

Add me to the list for a copy please!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There are in fact going to be two books.

The first will be available very shortly and is a revised and much improved second edition of my 2000 book "On The Trail Of The Titfield Thunderbolt", currently going for absolutely silly money on eBay etc

Just about to go to the printers, it should be available by the end of September and is a copiously illustrated and comprehensive guide to the locations used in the making of the film. Details about the filming are also included, but the next book will cover this side of the story in more depth and will include many more pictures. 

A5 format, sewn binding with a spine, quality art paper throughout, and 56 pages long, so perfect to keep in the pocket for field trips and a snip at just £8.95.

post-19301-0-88673500-1535493215_thumb.jpg

If you have unwanted copies of the original book then I suggest you put them on eBay right now, as values will shortly be plummeting(!)

The second book will be called simply "The Titfield Thunderbolt" and will complement this one, being largely all additional information, together with some absolutely fabulous photographs. I hope to have produced it by next Spring.

I should say that the photographs in the book that is about to come out are also quite fabulous, just in case you were wondering.

Simon Castens

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh Simon! What a little beauty!

I propose a toast....Our magnificent generals, General Gordon and General Booth. 

Rob.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Simon was hoping the Titfield book would be delivered today when I saw him at the weekend ;)

Hi Paul

Really nice to see you at Woody Bay on Saturday, and to paraphrase the Bishop;

what a pair of beauties

what an experience

what an experience

post-19301-0-52870100-1538508445_thumb.jpg

In the meantime the book was indeed delivered to me today and looks pretty good, even if I say so myself.

I will get it on to my website tomorrow, it is already in stock and on sale at the most excellent Oldfield Park bookshop, run by the estimable Harry Wainwright

http://www.theoldfieldparkbookshop.co.uk

Simon

• Like 3