Not Another One?

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work Kevin. I like the wire through the pole and horses, very neat solution.

I find that there's a dilemma when positioning horse drawn vehicles in relation to wagons: In reality they were often positioned perpendicular to the wagon/van, but that takes up a lot of space and can look silly in model form, I find.

So I tend to do what you have done, ie place them parallel to the line, which fortunately was also done sometimes (eg here's a scene I want to do on Farthing:

https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news-photo/workmen-unloading-apples-from-a-goods-wagon-in-the-sidings-news-photo/3287430#workmen-unloading-apples-from-a-goods-wagon-in-the-sidings-of-the-picture-id3287430)

Edited to correct Url

Edited by Mikkel

Very nice work Kevin. I like the wire through the pole and horses, very neat solution.

I find that there's a dilemma when positioning horse drawn vehicles in relation to wagons: In reality they were often positioned perpendicular to the wagon/van, but that takes up a lot of space and can look silly in model form, I find.

So I tend to do what you have done, ie place them parallel to the line, which fortunately was also done sometimes (eg here's a scene I want to do on Farthing:

https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news-photo/workmen-unloading-apples-from-a-goods-wagon-in-the-sidings-news-photo/3287430#workmen-unloading-apples-from-a-goods-wagon-in-the-sidings-of-the-picture-id3287430)

Edited to correct Url

Many thanks.

They are surprising long especially if the third horse is added!

As I have already mentioned this came about from a visit to Steam at Swindon......

Still a few things planned for it.

Brake chain

Chain for rear flap

GWR name on side though I might just keep it at that with no station name.

Load

Looking at how easy to add reins using tan thread - early days on this one.

• Like 1

Well that turned out easier than I thought.

Rings cut from the chain supplied and glued to harness.

Light brown thread used and then painted cork brown as that looks a bit more like tan leather.

post-8925-0-69726200-1521124683_thumb.jpg

I know the reins should be belt shape but I couldn't get it to look right at that size (0.3mm) so the wife came up with this silk thread idea.

Works to......

Few ideas been bantered around like nose bags and horse droppings which have some credence, so watch this space......

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Figures nearing completion now.

Basic painting done, will now be left to dry thoroughly overnight before applying detail washes.

post-8925-0-95804500-1523459027_thumb.jpg

Not sure how many I will use for this CBC, definitely the RH two.

Those that are not used will be reallocated to Little Muddle without further ado.

• Like 4

Progress is slow on the third CBC but still its onward at a sedate pace.

Wagon loaded now, porter checking on details.

post-8925-0-41071900-1523806136_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-44201100-1523806208_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-25516700-1523806157_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this works or not?

post-8925-0-73241100-1523806189_thumb.jpg

Had one of those panicky moments when I started to put the goods in the van and they wouldn't fit through the door......then realised I hadn't glued the body to the chassis for exactly this reason

Doh........

Ought to start thinking about a base for it!!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress is slow on the third CBC but still its onward at a sedate pace.

Wagon loaded now, porter checking on details.

attachicon.gifIMG_0031.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0033.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0038.JPG

Not sure if this works or not?

attachicon.gifIMG_0030.JPG

Had one of those panicky moments when I started to put the goods in the van and they wouldn't fit through the door......then realised I hadn't glued the body to the chassis for exactly this reason

Doh........

Ought to start thinking about a base for it!!!!

I love how that the Railcar in the background doesn't steal the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

Have you started the display yet? I have been looking forward to seeing how you set this up, are you just doing the base or will you put a backscene around it?

The last picture, low level, really sets the wagon and cart off. this could be how you set it up for the CBC

Hi Kevin,

Have you started the display yet? I have been looking forward to seeing how you set this up, are you just doing the base or will you put a backscene around it?

The last picture, low level, really sets the wagon and cart off. this could be how you set it up for the CBC

To be honest not a lot has been happening with this CBC.

I have been working on a Suburban B set for the main layout for the past few weeks and this seems to have caught the imagination at the moment.

'Not Anther One' will be re-started in the not to distant future, I still have ideas buzzing around the old thinking box but nothing firm as yet....plenty of time!

To ensure you are not too worried I have nipped up and had a word with the horses, Phantom & Menace, and they pass on their regards and asked me to send you a PR picture from their portfolio.

post-8925-0-01683300-1526981471_thumb.jpg

This layout of horse drawn wagon and goods van is how it will be on the CBC but set against the wall of a large goods shed that will form the backscene.

Thanks for asking.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Work has recommenced on this CBC

Base worked out and track laid with sleepers to correct spacings....

post-8925-0-45008800-1529674744_thumb.jpg

This is however nothing like I first envisaged!

• Like 1

Had a re-think on this CBC and decided that what ever I built would, like Long Walk Home, end up on the main layout Little Muddle.

So the industrial idea went by the wayside and in came a semi - derilict barn and 7 strand GWR fence.

This is the first mock up of the idea.

post-8925-0-69012400-1529957516_thumb.jpg

A tree of course had to get in on the scene.

Concept behind this CBC is that the yard is very busy so the goods van has been moved over to a little used area with the goods then being lifted manually into the horse drawn wagon.

• Like 8

Base is progressing as well.

Grass sub base applied before static grass applied, needs to dry thoroughly so will leave for a while.

post-8925-0-67030300-1530003025_thumb.jpg

I might trim off the overhang pieces of the wire fence as they don't look right.

Due to this being a short length could not stretch as normal so I have made some trimmed down angle struts from pins to wedge the end posts back upright to put the fishing line back under tension thereby keeping the strands straight!

Yard base is just sieved building sand with poly filler rubbed in dry and then sprayed with water.

Grey washes to give colour

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Base is progressing as well.

Grass sub base applied before static grass applied, needs to dry thoroughly so will leave for a while.

attachicon.gifIMG_0266.JPG

I might trim off the overhang pieces of the wire fence as they don't look right.

Due to this being a short length could not stretch as normal so I have made some trimmed down angle struts from pins to wedge the end posts back upright to put the fishing line back under tension thereby keeping the strands straight!

Yard base is just sieved building sand with poly filler rubbed in dry and then sprayed with water.

Grey washes to give colour

Everything about this is superb Kevin. Fantastic attention to detail as always and thanks for sharing your technique for making the yard base, I might try your method on a future project.

Can't wait to see the horses and cart and that fantastic tree incorporated into the scene.

Best regards Mark.

Everything about this is superb Kevin. Fantastic attention to detail as always and thanks for sharing your technique for making the yard base, I might try your method on a future project.

Can't wait to see the horses and cart and that fantastic tree incorporated into the scene.

Best regards Mark.

Thanks

The most important thing I have found when using building sand is that it must be dry, so I brought mine in and spread it out on a tray and left it to dry naturally for a few days.

After sieving don't through the bigger bits away from the sieve, save them as they can be used, say around the edge of the yard, where the surface hasn't had the traffic so isn't so compressed.

post-8925-0-48455300-1530004902_thumb.jpg

Sand as applied and then wetted and glue applied with a syringe - same mix as for ballast - 50/50 with a splash of washing up liquid.

No Polyfilla at this stage as I waited for it to dry.....otherwise you wont be able to rub the filler in dry!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is the first mock up of the idea.

I find your use of the phrase "mock up" rather disconcerting given that any final product that I could produce would be nowhere near the quality on show here. Though I appreciate that the mocked up bit is the base.

Kind regards, Neil

I find your use of the phrase "mock up" rather disconcerting given that any final product that I could produce would be nowhere near the quality on show here. Though I appreciate that the mocked up bit is the base.

Kind regards, Neil

In this instance I was laying out the components for the first time and checking, through the photographs, that the balance was what I was after.

This is where I find digital photography so useful, take a picture, send to the computer, pop downstairs and I can view a full screen picture on a 22" monitor - imagine trying that in the days of film!!!!

Static grass applied with some small clumps of grass matting - now drying as I'm in the phase that I can move what I have just glued so need to leave it now.

• Like 1