Lenz LH101, LZV200, SET101 and trade-in offer.

Just a quick question. Not sure if right thread to ask.

What happens to all the Lenz LH100's which are being traded in please?

Is it just the handsets which are being traded in or the Full Set100's?

As I see it they are being traded in with the U.K. Supplier and it returns to Germany for recycling?

Are they in good working order when traded, or have wear and tear such as buttons not working?

If there is a way that I can purchase a Set100, could someone PM me as I am not too keen on the new Lenz controllers.

As someone new to DCC I have tried the LH100 and I prefer the buttons and this setup compared to a rotary dial.

If these are going back to the manufacturer, why can't they be sold to someone who wishes to purchase a Set 100?

I would have thought from all the controllers and amplifiers. You would be able to piece together the odd one or two working Set 100's to anyone wanting a fairly simple but reliable controller plus amp?

I have checked a certain auction site but the only ones available are in the USA and I prefer to trade in the UK.

1 hour ago, AeBor said:

Just a quick question. Not sure if right thread to ask.

What happens to all the Lenz LH100's which are being traded in please?

Is it just the handsets which are being traded in or the Full Set100's?

As I see it they are being traded in with the U.K. Supplier and it returns to Germany for recycling?

Are they in good working order when traded, or have wear and tear such as buttons not working?

If there is a way that I can purchase a Set100, could someone PM me as I am not too keen on the new Lenz controllers....................

The trade-in offer is just for the handsets, not for the LZV100 Command/Power Station, or the full SET100.

The LZV100 can be upgraded to obtain most of the new functionality provided by the replacement LZV200.

It is no longer sold new, but there may be one or two shops with remaining stock.

I've no idea what Lenz are doing with the traded in handsets, other than sending them off for recycling.

If you really want the SET100, apart from used ads, give the UK distributor A&H a call. 

They might have a repaired or traded-in example, or know someone who's looking to upgrade to the newer system.

Ron

• Thanks 1

Well I pondered upgrading to the 200 model but in the end it just didn't do it for me and i went for an ECoS instead.   I appreciate the PC interface, but the 100 had this as well via its USB port add-in.  I don't want to have to fire up a PC or laptop just to play trains.  Its very early days with the ECoS and I know its not everyones cup of tea, but the difference is mighty.   Its such a shame that Lenz drag their feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Lenz did announced that the new system are now shipping out to the customer via local shop.

I will get my new tomorrow or tuesday.

The systems version seems at 3.8.

• RMweb Gold

I have purchased the SET101 too and it arrived yesterday. However I have a major problem with it at the moment in that it does not recognize my LDT RS8 occupancy detectors. I went back to the LZV100 and everything works again. I'm doing some more testing today but I suspect the LZV200 has either a software or hardware fault. When I start RR&Co Traincontroller it becomes very unresponsive and after several minutes I end up with a switchboard where every single block is marked occupied. I have sent urgent emails to both Lenz and Littfinski.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have not read the manual of the new system and i know that the old LZV100 cannot reset the system.

I suppose it´s same with the LZV200...

• RMweb Gold

The problem I have is with the RS feedback bus to which the LDT RS8s are connected. The bus is a U-shape and I have 4 RS8s on each leg of the U with the LZV200 connected in the middle at the bottom of the U.  If I disconnect one leg then the LZV200 sees the other 4 and vice versa. I did a simple wiring change whereby all 8 RS8s were on the one leg. Now the LZV200 sees 2 of them but not the other 6. Returning to the original configuration, it sees none of them. But once I plug the LZV100 back in everything is fine. To connect the LZV200 I simply moved the RSPQ plug over so the wiring is identical. 

I do not know whether I have a faulty LZV200 or whether it's a more serious design flaw. I'm awaiting response from Lenz but it looks like the LZV200 is going back to the shop for a refund ….

On 02/02/2018 at 21:27, Ron Ron Ron said:

Thanks for this Ron....

I didn't upgrade the chip set from 3.5 when that upgrade come out.....so would i be correct in thinking if i send my 100 set to them they will upgrade both the handset and the base station?  BW Brenn

Bastard!

Lenz new system does not working and do have some defaults.

I recommended you stand by and waiting until Lenz did fixed the problems.

Oh dear!

Lenz must have rushed the LZV200 to market........ :rolleyes:

Jesting aside, it’s taken 8 years from announcement for the LZV200 to become available for sale.

I would have thought it’s been tested to the N’th degree before being released to the great unwashed public.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

What are the issues you are seeing? Has the reseller acknowledged they are issues?

Problem as in my post above. I thought it might be because the wires connecting 2 of the RS8s together were not twisted. So I fixed that but no joy. I'm awaiting response from Lenz but I suspect I will be returning the SET101 - it's covered by 14-day period for me to do that.

Incidentally the software level on the LZV200 is 3.8 and not the 4.0 I had expected.

My problem was no change of the turnouts and the signals with the LZV200.

I switch back to LZV100 and it works! 

I changed my mind and reported defaults to the hobby store where i did bought.

They did accept to return back the system and end the purchase.

By the way...the new LZV200 are just LZV100 and the USB ethernet LE 23151.

So it is exactly same and no difference.

Save your money and buy ECoS or Märklin CS3 if you like.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Anders63 said:

By the way...the new LZV200 are just LZV100 and the USB ethernet LE 23151.

It hasn't got Ethernet.

BTW why didn't Lenz design the LZV200 so that it could be updated "over the air" instead of a paid for update module?

It's old fashioned and low on features and IMHO not worth the update. I'll stick with my LH100/LZV100.

Edited by melmerby
Added detail

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

It hasn't got Ethernet.

BTW why didn't Lenz design the LZV200 so that it could be updated "over the air" instead of a paid for update module?

It's old fashioned and low on features and IMHO not worth the update. I'll stick with my LH100/LZV100.

Yes it has ethernet because it´s same USB interface ethernet LE23151.

The problem with the new SET101 is that there is no USB-B cable for the interface connect to the PC.

You have to buy separate.

The second problem about interface does only support PC windows and still same baud like LE23151 model.

Not possible to use with the Mac.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Anders63 said:

The problem with the new SET101 is that there is no USB-B cable for the interface connect to the PC.

You have to buy separate.

The second problem about interface does only support PC windows and still same baud like LE23151 model.

No the LZV200 does not have an ethernet interface, just USB. If you need an ethernet interface (eg to connect a router for wireless operation) you still need the actual 23151.

• Agree 1

The 23151 had a USB interface AND an ethernet interface.

USB and Ethernet are not the same thing, and neither are a USB interface or the ability to read USB memory sticks

The LZV200 has a port to accept a USB stick, that is not a USB interface.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Anders63 said:

USB is not Ethernet. Ethernet is a "Local Area Network" which uses RJ45 plugs & sockets or alternatively a similar thing can be achieved with Wi-Fi.

It is USB only and it doesn't say it has the same interface as the 23151.

It says:

"The LZV200 is equipped with a USB-B interface. Via this interface, the complete functionality of the digital system can be used with a computer if you use an appropriate PC program.The interface matches the USB interfaces of the devices 23150 (USB interface) and 23151 (LAN/USB interface)"

"matches" is not "the same as" because even the 23150 & 23151 use different VCom port devices to achieve their USB connectivity.

Edited by melmerby
missed "connectivity" from end!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Anders63 said:

Why not?

Lenz do not supply iOS based software but as long as you install the appropriate USB driver, which I assume is an industry standard device like in the 23151, you could use it with a program that runs on a Mac.

e.g. iTrain?, JMRI?

Edited by melmerby

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Why not?

Lenz do not supply iOS based software but as long as you install the appropriate USB driver, which I assume is an industry standard device like in the 23151, you could use it with a program that runs on a Mac.

e.g. iTrain?, JMRI?

You must install Windows operative system as parallel in the Mac.

Somebody did wrote in other forum, that Lenz USB interface does not work prof with the Mac.

However i decides to stop use Lenz system since it´s same old system in the LZV200 like LZV100 and LE23151.

Not worth to spend money at all!

3 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

How?

By use USB-B cable to hook up in the PC Lan socket or wifi router.

You can use same cable like in the LE23151.

The new SET101 do miss this cable.

Not sure where you can buy same cable like in the USB interface.