Lenz LH101, LZV200, SET101 and trade-in offer.

Hello Keith

I don't get it at all.  The LH101 with German menus only is not fit for purpose in the UK. Lenz trade internationally and fully understand the need for English and have agreed to provide it.  For the last 15+ years they have provided DCC components in 3 languages. That suits me and I don't see why that should bother you. 

Norman

Edited by norman

I'm 100% certain that Lenz have always intended to equip the LH101 with the usual language options.

It appears to be a case of Lenz rushing the product to market before the software is in the state that they were planning for.

Buy one in a few months time and hopefully all should be well.

I say "rushed" with a slight tongue-in-cheek, as it's taken them 10 years to get this new throttle to market, since they first indicated it's future release.

P.S. The Lenz website is still waiting for its English language version, a whole year after the site was updated and the old English language version disappeared.

Ron

• RMweb Premium

I'm 100% certain that Lenz have always intended to equip the LH101 with the usual language options.

It appears to be a case of Lenz rushing the product to market before the software is in the state that they were planning for.

Ron

Maybe the German Language customers were being used as "guinea pigs" to shake down any possible glitches and once everything was hunky dory the full multilanguage version would be released?

Keith

Maybe the German Language customers were being used as "guinea pigs" to shake down any possible glitches and once everything was hunky dory the full multilanguage version would be released?

Keith

The three language version, German, English and French was available in the UK and I bought one from Coastal, ex A&H the UK importer, before getting my LH90s exchanged. That's why I was so surprised that they were German only. I'm sure it's just a timing issue really,  Lenz have always produced in the 3 languages software & manuals..

Norman

Edited by norman

As you say Norman, just a timing issue.

If you had waited a month or two, there's every chance the language options would have been supplied on-board.

Lenz certainly don't rush into things.

Ron

Hi Ron

Yes possibly but I don't know how long the special offer regarding exchanging old for new will last and its such a good offer I did not want to miss it.

Norman

Shunting mode is included.

There's supposed to be improved usability with quicker or easier access to things like the loco stack.

I have a feeling that the rotary knob is not just for speed control, but may also used for selecting locos in the stack and adjusting settings and in programming, but I've yet to read the manual to confirm this.

Loco naming is supposed to be coming with the LZV200 and LZV100 update, so the handset should be able to display those names.

However the new display screen is positively archaic and information is still being presented in a baffling or difficult to read format, rather than in a more intuitive way, or by using plain language and symbology.

Sadly this is an opportunity wasted and a completely out of date product IMHO.

p.s.

21101_Tasten_u_Displays_00.jpg

Well I bit the bullet today and purchased a new LH101 Throttle from A&H models - (as a good deal was offered) I was planning getting another LH100, (some of the buttons on my near 10 year old LH100 are getting a bit iffy -  and after watching the LH101 help videos on A&H's site it seemed like a better idea for the money.  

The hand set is supplied in English, although there is no English Manual presently available, due later......yes the display is still rather archaic, but at least it's now backlit...

As the videos show the rotary button does a lot more than just adjust the speed steps.  Double heading and consisting now looks easier to use than with the LH100.  The new route setting options for turnout control may well encourage me to finally go digital !  For some reason they have reduced the max loco stack to 8 ?  it was a max of 12 on the older LH100 (V3.6)  

Thankfully the new LH101 comes with a plug in curly lead...........no more standing on the lead and breaking wires and hence no need to hard-wire a replacement either...........

I did consider the Lenz trade in deal, but I wanted an English version, and my LH100 can always be sold on later if necessary.

Look forward to experimenting with it.................lol...........

A&H Models were very helpful - well recommended

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260

My new Lenz LH101 throttle arrived today (FW version 67) - super quick service from A&H Models.

My initial first impressions, I like it, it's a bit smaller and fits in one's hand better that the LH100.

After watching A&H's videos it was fairly easy to get some loco addresses into the stack - and it mirrored all the function settings over from the LH100.

Using: Straight off I noticed when using one of Bif's Drive Lock 37's, using 128 SS the rotary dial has to be turned completely round and around numerous times to get max speed and access to the Wheel Slip feature after releasing F5  Changing it over to 28 SS obviously reduces the number of dial turns necessary, but I prefer to use 128 SS.  So perhaps it's not ideally suited to some types of sound decoders, but it's early days yet.  In comparison a Roco Multi Maus with the above decoder works superbly, but it doesn't have all the other options etc, but it's ideal for "driving"

Plan is to get the German Manual PDF file translated into Engish of some sort.......... lol ................

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-61737700-1534515065_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-29305000-1534515074_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260

Some of you may already be aware, but for those who haven't spotted it yet,  .......A&H Models will be offering the Lenz LH101 Exchange Programme from October.

https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/21101exchange-lh101-hand-controller-lenz-exchange-programme-54840-p.asp

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

An interesting video but it does beg the question as to why everyone has been waiting for som many years to get something that is hardly ground-breaking, and could even be said to be several years behind current technology at release date.

I liked ny Lenz 100 when I had it, though I had to move on from Lenz as i simply found it harder and harder to use as time went on - changing a simple accessory needed me to either a) remember a number, enter it then select it but mostly B) refer to diagram showing turnout or accessory number, then enter it into handset, etc...

I am sure though that many will like it, the rotary throttle must be an advantage after so many years of the other systems having it however I do feel that they could have made so much more use of a decent screen.

• RMweb Premium

An interesting video but it does beg the question as to why everyone has been waiting for som many years to get something that is hardly ground-breaking, and could even be said to be several years behind current technology at release date.

I have had my Lenz system from just after the 3.6 upgrade when it was ahead of the field.

Since then nothing, whilst others move on incrementally Lenz have stood still with no major advances.

The vaunted V 4.0 firmware still hasn't surfaced, it seems to be just about to be released for the last umpteen years.

Even the new throttle, on it's own, is not much extra.

If you really needed a rotary control Lenz have had a somewhat basic one for some years. (LH01)

As I've mentioned before I use Train Controller and the Lenz is just fine for that as I rarely need to touch the handset, so I'm not updating.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I now use iTrain to control the layout and have a wireless Multimaus to hand for manual control, which is very rare.

If I had moved to iTrain when I had Lenz I may have kept it but there I found the need to change handsets before I adopted iTrain as my train control system.

Such a pity as Lenz has set the standards for what we do, it would have been nice for them to take the leadership in the industry, I fear that this offering is too little too late for many and as you say, where is the fabled v4 software?

I liked ny Lenz 100 when I had it, though I had to move on from Lenz as i simply found it harder and harder to use as time went on - changing a simple accessory needed me to either a) remember a number, enter it then select it but mostly B) refer to diagram showing turnout or accessory number, then enter it into handset, etc...

I am sure though that many will like it, the rotary throttle must be an advantage after so many years of the other systems having it however I do feel that they could have made so much more use of a decent screen.

What ever floats your boat, but with the new LH101 it's easier to change accessory's than it was with the LH100, and it also has a very handy easy access new route setting feature, and it will be V4 compliant when that finally becomes available, unlike the LH100 AFAIK .  I like to "drive" the trains  ie I'm not really a fan of PC automation.

I drive mine prototypically whereby I tell it to leave a station and go to the next station by obeying all the signals and using the route that is set for it.

When the train is running the route it runs autonomously, just like how the real thing used to operate and actually still operates, though there is less autonomy for driver now than there used to be as the central control knows exactly where the train is, what speed it is doing and the central system sets the route, signals and tell the driver what speed to drive at - oops, isn't that what PC control is doing for the model railway  ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In december the new SET101 will been arrive out with the version 4.

I´m not sure if the interface in the LZV200 will do support Mac computer too like PC.

Hopefully i think so...