'Train set' train lengths

Hey guys, I’m not so new here but this is my first proper post.

Could I have some advice on coach formations between 2 – 8 carriages (10 at a push since that's all my space allows)?

Anything from branch line trains to stopping locals, to cross countries to expresses.

Specifically I’m looking at using either Gresley or BR mk1 stock and incorporating the two as well.

Gresley buffet cars were used a lot in mk1 rakes until BR had built enough mk1 replacements.

I'd suggest joining the brcoaching stock yahoo group if you can as you'll find lots of this information there as well as actual timetables to work from for the Eastern Region.

Note that branch line trains would really be more likely to contain non corridor stock such as the Bachmann suburban mk1s.

The thread on the Yorkshire Pullman might be of interest;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/13246-yorkshire-pullman/

If it's short rakes you're after, worth bearing in mind that the Bradford and Hull portions only used 3 or 4 coaches through to their destinations. Some ordinary Bradford expresses were similar, being a 3 coach portion attached to/detached from the main train at Leeds or Wakefield depending on the route taken. Still on the NE Region, the short-lived early '60s Halifax-St.Pancras train (a substitute for the "South Yorkshireman") had a similar consist (Black 5 plus 3 corridor Mk.1s - typical make-up might be BSK/SK (or SO)/CK).

David

Archived