• RMweb Gold

Just before the turn of the year, Father Christmas paid a late visit and left this.

post-16241-0-97743300-1546364954_thumb.jpg

A close up of the left-hand side of the panel. The lower lines are yet to be built which will be on a lower level baseboard.

post-16241-0-11278800-1546364966_thumb.jpg

The right-hand side.

post-16241-0-70523700-1546364976_thumb.jpg

Not attached by only two wires but eight but that isn't bad.

post-16241-0-44626400-1546364997_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks great. Is that a mimic panel?

Yes, it is. Not cheap but you have to pay for quality and the fact that it's bespoke. While it was not as easy to wire as Dave makes it look in his Mythical Junction video, it didn't take very long thanks to plug and play.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jonathan

Have you decided to include the two foreground yard tracks in the actual track layout? At one point, you weren't sure if you had space. I think it will add much 'shunting value' if they are there.

All the best with the project which is very enjoyable to follow as it progresses.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jonathan

Have you decided to include the two foreground yard tracks in the actual track layout? At one point, you weren't sure if you had space. I think it will add much 'shunting value' if they are there.

All the best with the project which is very enjoyable to follow as it progresses.

Brian

Hi Brian, no not made up my mind yet, although as well as shunting value, it would give more viewing space for coal wagons. Since the layout is 180o from its original place in the room and that I can now access the back at what will be the widest part of the layout, it may be feasible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More done during the post-Christmas break. The up line over the bridging section has been laid and completes the scenic bit of the up line. It will disappear into a tunnel here and will carry on to the storage yard. Copper clad sleepers are yet to be installed.

post-16241-0-68070900-1546621903_thumb.jpg

The down line to the bridging section was also laid and ballasted. Next job is to complete it like the up line.

post-16241-0-66926300-1546621969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 12

Looking Excellent J (as ever!) 

The mimic panel looks lovely. I tried to get my head around some of the control systems at Peterborough show. Am I right in thinking that the panel is 'mimicking' what the real situation on the layout is at a given time? So you can control it all from one place? Does it do signals etc or just points? Sorry if these are ignorant questions!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, it does mimic what's happening on the layout. The panel has a master board which in turn controls two (will be three) servo driver slave boards and their relay driver boards. My signals, a long way off, will be activated by servos and their switches are to the right of the panel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some work was done to the storage yard area. Three lines were connected to the turntable. Not stuck down yet as I ran out of cork.

post-16241-0-66022400-1547838957_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-58808500-1547838969_thumb.jpg

A view at the start of the yard fan.

post-16241-0-83071700-1547838979_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The extra cork duely arrived and was stuck in place. The Up side of the yard is now complete. 

post-16241-0-85356100-1548360379_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-42678100-1548360096_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-30123500-1548360107_thumb.jpg

Black 5 5505 awaits the off with a train which includes two coaches by Coachmann formerly of this parish.

post-16241-0-45760800-1548360117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A couple of days at our own home meant that the newly arrived Peco points could be fitted to the down storage yard and so the whole storage/fiddle-yard is complete. Ten storage sidings in total.

IMGP1548.JPG.90345f6e7c80fd0070e301e6aa35b824.JPG

IMGP1549.JPG.f30bcacf326b6728e92d6fb44fbfa562.JPG

An additional crossover was inserted so that all roads can be taken or left by both up and down lines.

IMGP1551.JPG.43caa93429c8af3c3c824f0d3cd9e56a.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 7

Hi Jonathan

It's good to catch up and see how the layout is progressing and I am impressed by how much you have achieved over the last few months, I shall be able to spend more time following this now and look forward to further updates.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan, can’t believe I’ve missed your layout thread and just spent half an hour catching up from the first post.  

What is there not to like.....:D

Templot plans, stunning hand built track work and a prototype location.. Ticks all the boxes and the quality of the finished article is there for all to see.

You must be very pleased with what you have achieved so far. Some really good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon, it's coming along nicely but like you with golf, SWMBO and the garden may take most of my time. Thank you for your kind comments.

With most of the turnouts fettled to allow for free passage of stock my attention turned towards getting the storage/fiddle-yard turnout motors connected to a panel. I am using the now defunct Minx Microdrives from the old layout which although not perfect lets you to use on/off switches so you know which way the point are set without the need for LEDs. The switches need a neat set of numbers. The diagram is a printout from the Sigscribe4 signalling program. The five lines on the right go to the turntable.

IMGP1559.JPG.484e873dbe5738ae1ce593189b06b1c0.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jonathan

Just re-looking at the photo of 2 February taken from the turntable looking along the 10 hidden sidings...

Is it essential for you to have point motors at the turntable end? If not, you would be able to give the tracks a straighter run at the table and increase the length of the middle three (unless the two points are part of the plan).

Brian 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian, I think I know what you mean - operate the points at the turntable end by hand? I would have to get out of my operating chair to do this. I can operate the two panels with a swing of the seat with the set-up as it is. Also the outer two storage lines are at the limit of my minimum radius in their approach to the turntable. So squeezing in another couple of lines would make things quite tight. There's another part of the layout to be built - in front of what is there already - the lower level MPD and coal yard, so taking me further away from the turntable end of the storage yard. The storage lines are quite long as they are. Buxton Midland was served by short trains as the longest platform could only take about 6 coaches and loco. Similarly, as the track layout was so tight, only short goods trains could be accommodated. No doubt in LMS times they were split on the Western side yard before being taken onto the Midland side.. 

I think what Brian was referring to was taking the turnouts away completely and taking all the tracks direct to the turntable. My old Fleischmann turntable would allow tracks at 7.5 degree spacing around the deck. It will mean removing sleepers at the turntable end to allow the rails to fit closely together.

I’m sure the ADM controller will allow that fine movement between adjacent tracks. You could almost squeeze in tracks between the existing ones shown in your pic above.

I’ll see if I can dig out a pic to show what I mean. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gordon, the ADM turntable could certainly do that (50 positions, if I remember) and looks a lot neater than what I have without the tight curves at the turntable end. I might be able to get away with just two points, one each on the outer tracks, and so have eight to the turntable. Thanks Brian, time for a rethink when I get "home" in the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1