• RMweb Gold

Today, 1st July, marked the beginning of our permanent move to the home where the layout is. We shall be commuting a couple of days a week for ecclesiastical purposes while the Covid-19 situation endures. The Rectory sign I had made at a York show in 2016 was taken down and installed in the layout room to mark the occasion of our move.

DSCF7382.JPG.e1ef1382f361e6b860212f25dfdec2b6.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start on the gable end wall which was meant to be a mock-up but it might just be good enough for the model. I'm not sure about the size of the fan window. It's 15' in radius and once the tracery goes in will look smaller. What do you think?

DSCF7383.JPG.c788086539325027909a4c439cfad134.JPG

DSCF7384.JPG.a0b3e775c73f875f0ef901f11e8b53bf.JPG

DSCF7385.JPG.375eea641ebce487a175e27d840144b8.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think it needs to be a bit narrower maybe? or slightly deeper at the bottom?

ws167-33.JPG

Copyright J.W. Sutherland

But I don't think it's that noticeable, as you say once the tracery is in it should look OK.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I think it needs to be a bit narrower maybe? or slightly deeper at the bottom?

ws167-33.JPG

Copyright J.W. Sutherland

But I don't think it's that noticeable, as you say once the tracery is in it should look OK.

Al.

I'm not sure but I think the platform inside is higher than the road outside which would make the wall narrower at the base of the window. I'm making a new wall anyway as the window opening I made was not a true semi-circle, so I'll try a narrower one, say 14' radius.

• Like 1

(Pedant mode on)

Isn’t this picture of the LNWR side of the station? But I guess the Midland side was almost identical (pedant mode off)

quite a lot of ornamentation there, Jonathan. You’re a braver man than me. Good luck!

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, clecklewyke said:

(Pedant mode on)

Isn’t this picture of the LNWR side of the station? But I guess the Midland side was almost identical (pedant mode off)

quite a lot of ornamentation there, Jonathan. You’re a braver man than me. Good luck!

Ian

Hi Ian, the gables and fan windows were identical, influenced by the Duke of Devonshire and Paxton. I'm not going in for all the ornamentation, life's too short!

• Agree 1

Jonathan,

Go to High Peak Council's planning portal; which you can find here: https://www.highpeak.gov.uk/article/299/Planning-applications

Most councils now upload planning applications that they receive, including the drawings.  Thus, for many buildings there are drawings in the public realm that you can refer to.  Given that Buxton station is listed and hence even relatively minor alterations require consent, there are a whole load of drawings of the building available through this.

Older applications have not been uploaded, so look for applications post 2007 or so.

Good luck, and I enjoy this thread.  Good to see an LMS man!!

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Jonathan,

Go to High Peak Council's planning portal; which you can find here: https://www.highpeak.gov.uk/article/299/Planning-applications

Most councils now upload planning applications that they receive, including the drawings.  Thus, for many buildings there are drawings in the public realm that you can refer to.  Given that Buxton station is listed and hence even relatively minor alterations require consent, there are a whole load of drawings of the building available through this.

Older applications have not been uploaded, so look for applications post 2007 or so.

Good luck, and I enjoy this thread.  Good to see an LMS man!!

Mark

Thanks for this Mark. I don't know whether I have delved deeply enough into the planning section but could find nothing on the fan window. I'm not copying Buxton but want something that could have been built by the Midland as a terminus at a Derbyshire market town.

• RMweb Gold

A new gable wall has been fashioned and a start made on the window glazing bars. The window will probably go through several incarnations as I try to discover and decide the best way to build it. Now if only I had one of those plasticy printer thingies and the knowhow to use it!

DSCF7389.JPG.848d51ebbeaa606fd1d0d9b7b7935cb4.JPG

Hopefully when the radial parts go in it will make the arches semi-circular.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan, if you haven't glued the main arch in yet, take it out and run it through your fingers to form a curve, ideally smaller radius than the window aperture, then when you put it back in and force the outer edges to the extreme of the arch it should fit the curve snugly.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, thanks for the tip. I've had the curved bits in hot water, am still not happy with the result. I have cunning plan for an alternative way which may be regarded as a cop-out  but if the download texture producers and backscene makers can use it, so can I.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Is this any help? LNWR station, 27th September 1973.

buxton_fan_window_27_sep_1973.jpg.e606819c2eb86b8b0f05e9727f828303.jpg

Sorry about the scratchy neg.

Martin.

Thanks Martin. It shows the paving covered all the platform under the roof, which my photos don't, assuming both sides were the same. I've continued the end buttress into the train shed which I see in real life was not the case. The height under the window I've made too short again as @Alister_G said in the original, but I'm not going to change it now. My roof will be lower than Buxton's was. The York MM bits and pieces should be put in the post tomorrow, so a start can be made on the terminus building soon.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Jonathan,

Here's another the same day. I can see a slab join on the left, if that's what you mean?

buxton_platform_27_sep_1973.jpg.5d06fe08d0c9d48efd32f5198dbf6fb9.jpg

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks again Martin. Not sure what you mean by a slab join though or were you meaning in your fist photo? The platform facades are very different from each other. Don't those shelters look awful? 

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Not sure what you mean by a slab join though or were you meaning in your fist photo? 

Hi Jonathan,

On the first photo you made a comment about the need to assume something about the paving on the opposite platform. I don't know what you meant by that, but I thought perhaps a visible slab join in my second photo might answer it.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Jonathan,

On the first photo you made a comment about the need to assume something about the paving on the opposite platform. I don't know what you meant by that, but I thought perhaps a visible slab join in my second photo might answer it.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin

Got you now. I was referring to the Midland side and the LNWR side not to platforms 1& 2 on the LNWR side! I assume since the LNWR platforms were all paving under the roof then the MR platforms under the original roof were also paved. I know, or so I've read that the extensions to the platforms, certainly on the MR side, were compacted  gravel or similar. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those nice people at York Modelmaking have sent me the bits and pieces I need for the station building and roof. Just need to source a supplier of thin Perspex for the roof itself.

DSCF7395.JPG.06e1d3aa071af6d540ee473eb7908da1.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A bit of work has been done on the roof with some parts glued together which is why some don't appear to line up. The window has been taken out as I don't want to get glue all over it.

DSCF7396.JPG.02def890ba1ef1e2ea6ddf24a1d93df7.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m looking forward to this taking shape, good work so far :good:

Thanks, Chris. Gluing the girders together with wood Evo Stik was fine as I could clamp them with bulldog clips until dry but I've glued the trusses to the girders with super glue, as I found it impossible to clamp the parts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Rowsley17D said:

Thanks, Chris. Gluing the girders together with wood Evo Stik was fine as I could clamp them with bulldog clips until dry but I've glued the trusses to the girders with super glue, as I found it impossible to clamp the parts.

I never thought about bulldog clips as clamps, I’ll have to raid the stationary cupboard at work tomorrow :lol:

It’s looking really good so far