• RMweb Gold

I'm busy building the low relief Scalescenes' terraced house fronts for the right-hand end of the scenic section which will hopefully blend into the 2D terraces on the backscene. In the meantime more drystone walling from Osborns has arrived along with a couple of nice station furniture pieces which were less than £3 for the pair. Ready painted, I thought them a bargain.

Nestles' chocolate dispenser

DSCF7783.JPG.d33438f7eda39d9b58e73effdee85dee.JPG

Avery scales.

DSCF7784.JPG.1d4effd461476c17177b13c41eba8f78.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I went against having one of the houses a shop. The terrace is finished save for the chimney pots which now the row is in position although not glued down will mean that I have more difficulty in knocking them off than before. Just noticed the roof has lifted and I've forgotten the front door steps.

DSCF7793.JPG.82c3647bf88be517d622b7ec30318de7.JPG

259933891_DSCF7794(2).JPG.0cd429f17753ce9e638c52b72d146e66.JPG

DSCF7795.JPG.75a01673fabf00b69c5d607f6a61d8d8.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Chris. There's something about having the odd red object on a layout that somehow brings it to life. I gather those who paint, pictures not buildings, usually put something red in their paintings for the same reason.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Taking a leaf out of @Alister_G's book on plastic bashing, I have been making my own gates for the goods yard entrance.

DSCF7807.JPG.f14564e28d2c6af784fbb3ee64959eee.JPG

I got too far in to do "how to" photos but they're made from strips of Evergreen plastic strips. The end posts are from a Slaters' Midland Railway station fence pack. The gate posts are square section rod with brass rod glued in.

Here are the finished gates in place awaiting the walling to be finished far side and fencing near side.

DSCF7808.JPG.be460dbe0018ff1d83e8a8e50aef99c8.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Great job you have done here, really well observed and constructed. I also like the backscene of terraced streets disappearing into the distance. I can't think of many instances where that has been done so successfully. 

As for artists, putting red objects into pictures, this is one of mine, (hope you don't mind!) there are various bits of red in the composition that take your eye into the picture, from the red crash helmet, to the cyclist's and waitress's lipstick and the red billboard writing. All small stuff. If I had painted a large area red, such as the back of the van, it would have stopped you seeing any of the other details. A small amount of red is very useful and has the same effect in your model. 

030010ed.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Taking a leaf out of @Alister_G's book on plastic bashing, I have been making my own gates for the goods yard entrance.

DSCF7807.JPG.f14564e28d2c6af784fbb3ee64959eee.JPG

I got too far in to do "how to" photos but they're made from strips of Evergreen plastic strips. The end posts are from a Slaters' Midland Railway station fence pack. The gate posts are square section rod with brass rod glued in.

Here are the finished gates in place awaiting the walling to be finished far side and fencing near side.

DSCF7808.JPG.be460dbe0018ff1d83e8a8e50aef99c8.JPG

I feel a little guilty for cheating now, looks gate...I mean great :good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Great job you have done here, really well observed and constructed. I also like the backscene of terraced streets disappearing into the distance. I can't think of many instances where that has been done so successfully. 

The buildings on the backscenes are by kind permission of @kirtleypete who sent me links to his photos. They can be seen on his website https://www.kirtleymodels.co.uk/backscene-packs .

Interesting piece of artwork, Mr Wolf. Was Miss RRH your model?

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

The buildings on the backscenes are by kind permission of @kirtleypete who sent me links to his photos. They can be seen on his website https://www.kirtleymodels.co.uk/backscene-packs .

Interesting piece of artwork, Mr Wolf. Was Miss RRH your model?

Wow, those @kirtleypete backscenes are good. The second from top batch of pictures are the type of thing that I use as reference for my paintings. 

Thanks for the compliment on the artwork, that one, along with half a dozen others is marooned in a gallery hall at present because of the lockdown. Despite being painted as a kind of fictional 1961 England, it depicts the abrupt end that befell a rather nasty character in the former Soviet Union as the traffic ground to a halt and he was distracted by the pretty girl crossing the road. 

It was indeed Miss Riding Hood who was model for the painting, as for most of them. She landed the name amongst my friends, partly because of my name, but more so for this photo.

Naturally, like all women, she takes it with good humour, until she doesn't! :D :scratchhead:

0300083b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I don't know whether to give a "like" or a "funny" as both could be misinterpreted!!

Let's just duck the issue like a pair of diplomatic adults / professional cowards and talk about model trains instead! 

And I will ask in all seriousness, do you know a good source for scale chimney pots and are the printed ones better or worse than cast?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

DSCF7809.JPG.5eae3fd2680146ff48851a003d8e95cc.JPG

Personally, I think the printed ones are better - nice crisp finish. The white ones on the left are from Shapeways and are produced for Scalescenes terraced house kits, the windows in my houses came from there too. The yellow and clearish ones are Topp Pots, I cannot remember where the black ones came from. The cream ones are from Unit Models but both seem no longer to be in business. ModelU do some nice ones but I've only had their figures and some loco shed stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the info. The Topp pots ones look interesting, I need some "kings & queens" for a railway property built c1870. I was going to use plain ones, but now that my model is entering the public domain...... You know how it is! 

My layout is set c1938, so no need for the bird mesh, an etched TV aerial or the bungfoodlin' satellite dish / easy drain wok...

0300118a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for thhttps://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/detailing-components/architectural-detailing/chimney-pots/e info. The Topp pots ones look interesting, I need some "kings & queens" for a railway property built c1870. I was going to use plain ones, but now that my model is entering the public domain...... You know how it is! 

My layout is set c1938, so no need for the bird mesh, an etched TV aerial or the bungfoodlin' satellite dish / easy drain wok...

As I said, Topps seems no longer in business, although ModelU do some nice-looking ones.

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/detailing-components/architectural-detailing/chimney-pots/

Ah, I misread that as the makers of the 3rd and 4th examples were NLA.

My bad, I will have a look at modelu, thanks. Their figures are impressive, but I don't need them yet!

For now I have to shoot off and help get shopping, before the car park is full of door bashers who have to transport their little darlings / spoilt brats in 4x4 Sainsbury's Assault Vehicles... ;)

• Funny 3

Just spent an enjoyable hour catching up nearly two months of progress and pics. I just love the spaciousness of Derwent Spa, Jonathan. You really have undertaken some outstanding work and I'm quite happy about the cleanliness overall. Sometimes it's great to see something that is not filthy and run down.

I keep looking at the track and trying to work out what gauge it is. Even been back to the beginning to see if it was mentioned....

It looks superb, whatever it is....

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Just spent an enjoyable hour catching up nearly two months of progress and pics. I just love the spaciousness of Derwent Spa, Jonathan. You really have undertaken some outstanding work and I'm quite happy about the cleanliness overall. Sometimes it's great to see something that is not filthy and run down.

I keep looking at the track and trying to work out what gauge it is. Even been back to the beginning to see if it was mentioned....

It looks superb, whatever it is....

Hello Gordon, good to hear from you and thanks for your kind remarks. I've been following your lighting trials with interest. I've one LED tube which gives me plenty of light on the layout and it illuminates the back garden too when the blind isn't down!

As to space it may be the camera as the scenic part of the layout is about 15' in length and 5' 6" at its widest. Gauge is 4SF for turnouts (it's in one of the tags!)

The wall and fence either side of the gates have been put in and the ash ballast extended behind the buffer stop. 

1972748902_DSCF7810(2).JPG.d03190b9069b7ce88ec18b8ff44163a9.JPG

It's only from this angle that the fence floats and only the camera can see it.

Here's how it looks from the front and then you have to lean across the layout!

DSCF7812.JPG.77ff98860513228adbfb3e8130765fdd.JPG

I've moved the weighbridge and coal offices to the top yard as there seemed to be so much space a weighbridge will go in later. This means the other office row can now go next to the weighbridge in the coal yard.

DSCF7813.JPG.b36c1b4d5907773db2cab80538811f3c.JPG

A few days ago I mixed up some of the light grey modelling dust thanks to @Alister_G from  https://www.minaturebricks.com with dilute PVA as per instructions and spread a layer over some of the coal yard.

DSCF7814.JPG.1ee3f2672633911c7b19dfabe3a331b0.JPG

It makes a good smooth surface which can be sanded as you can see from the dust I haven't hoovered off yet. Just got to lay some more and blend it in to the ballast. 

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 11

4SF?.......:dancer:

Wow, you had better brace yourself in case the “that will never work brigade” come knocking......:D

In all seriousness, I was guessing EM and had no idea you had joined the ‘narrow gauge’ society. 

Perhaps we need a special code or handshake like the Masons....:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

And I will ask in all seriousness, do you know a good source for scale chimney pots and are the printed ones better or worse than cast?

Hi Rob,

Take a look at https://dexterscove.com/shop.html

I got my chimney pots from there, and they have an extensive range of styles.

(usual disclaimers apply)

Their type "S" seems to match what your picture shows:

chimneypots.jpg.395cc09babfeb8df6d1c40ab48f341ea.jpg

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
Added image
  • Thanks 1