• RMweb Gold

After finding a drawing of a Midland Loading gauge 

midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/documents/77-12456.jpg

I had a go at making one myself. The main post looks like a cut-down signal post so that's what I used along with other bits of plastic strip and 0.35 brass wire. The gauge arm came from the Ratio kit not the right shape but near enough for me.

DSCF7847.JPG.fc3ead04ff4fd54e9a125ff2e11ad29e.JPG

Mek-ed and glued together

DSCF7849.JPG.68101e4a724cc7f59bdfbd7d207ecf59.JPG

And planted

DSCF7850.JPG.aa51e68977040b6530743aaa76e77b43.JPG

I don't know where or even whether Buxton had one so I put mine on the siding nearest the goods shed.

DSCF7851.JPG.000c6fb28c28036e3cc47e970b4f5b3a.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Very nice job Indeed. Another bit done that you can rightly be proud of. I have got to make one of the old wooden Great Western type. That's given me an idea!

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_post-5096-0-93524000-1545492503.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Jonathan,

Buxton did have one, beyond the signal box, just before the goods yard lead joined the up road. Just visible above the rail bus on this photo taken by M S Welch in 1967.

Regards,

Geraint

20201128_224506.jpg

Hi Geraint I haven't seen that photo before. While I was pondering where to put my gauge I did wonder whether it would go where all sidings meet and you have confirmed it does. Luckily mine isn't fixed so it will be moved. Have you any other Welsh photos you can share, please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

And the gauge bar is missing, so nobody will be able to contradict your creation. The gibbet looks good though!

1967 is the end for the station hence the neglect. By the look of that photo I need more lamps too if the electric ones are in the same place as the gas ones.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The extra lamps look like the Midland Railway columns with Littleton type gas fittings on harps like those that I remember once stood at Coalville.

At some late point the Midland lamps were converted.

image.png.c9361e64ba1fe499dc460fd733f85a0d.pngJ Wallace Sutherland Collection

• Like 4

Jonathan,

The Welch photo comes from Mike Bentley's "Scenes from the Past 2, The Railways Around Buxton" (Foxline). I can scan from that and the other relevant Foxline books if you haven't got them. Let me know what you're looking for in particular.

Geraint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Jonathan,

The Welch photo comes from Mike Bentley's "Scenes from the Past 2, The Railways Around Buxton" (Foxline). I can scan from that and the other relevant Foxline books if you haven't got them. Let me know what you're looking for in particular.

Geraint

Thanks, Geriant, I do have that book and No7. I quite forgot that No2 has a number of Midland side photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My troublesome 00 Works 2F is now running much better. Not perfect as yet but may just bed in with running more often. New rods are from Brassmasters and by carefully opening out the holes for the rear crank pins the sticking was cured at least with pushing the loco. Under its motor power there's still slight jerkiness though so slightly more opening out may be required but I don't want to over do it.

DSCF7854.JPG.388efb11d7c0c76085cb9716f19e8f67.JPG

DSCF7855.JPG.f2afc39414f367a196785f0d353822f4.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The last bit of exposed cork disappeared under scenic materials this afternoon. This was at the far righthand end of the scenic section near the end of the shed and the approach to the coal yard. Now I can get on and finish the embankment. Not too sure about the road way treatment.

DSCF7856.JPG.6a00f2932b6f80f47fb0ecbc6e667865.JPG

DSCF7857.JPG.c98e42e890e9dbca5607395cf239710e.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Mark90 said:

Can I ask where you got the fencing?

Wonderful work, by the way. I've been following this layout for a few weeks (and have read through the whole thread) and am really enjoying watching it develop. 

Hello Mark, thanks for the kind remarks. The fencing is just plain Ratio (now in the Peco family) Black Lineside Fencing painted track colour. I drill a couple of the posts on each section with 0.5mm bit and superglue brass wire into it to make it stand up. If you knock it or lean against it, it can be straightened out.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hello Mark, thanks for the kind remarks. The fencing is just plain Ratio (now in the Peco family) Black Lineside Fencing painted track colour. I drill a couple of the posts on each section with 0.5mm bit and superglue brass wire into it to make it stand up. If you knock it or lean against it, it can be straightened out.

Thanks for the reply. I was considering the Ratio fencing, so seeing it look the part on your layout has confirmed to me that's the way to go. Much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If anybody can help me wire an ESU Powerpack to a V4 LokSound Micro decoder

please see DCC Help & Questions

I'd be very grateful.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

If you take Hornby magazine Jonathan there have been multiple articles for this very subject over the last couple of years. If you don't take the mag I'll have a look see over the weekend and scan what I can find send it to you in a PM.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1